IRIX and Software

RESOLVED tardist and decompression.

I have just re-install Irix in my Octane from a Debian server.
I've downloaded some nekowares on my server and I can't decompress them.
tar xvf doesnot work.
Hi,

there is no need to decompress the tardist files. Think of it as a package
format (like *.deb files on debian).
So they can be installed directly by the software manager.
:A3502L: :O2000: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: :O200: :Octane: :Octane: :320: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy:
+ | d | i | g | i | t | a | l | +apple +[...] ;)
Doesn't work, sfwmanager said that a I don't have any packages.
If I put SERVER:/srv/tftp/neko where are my nekos.tardist, sfwmanager said there aren't files
What does `file *.tardist` tell you?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
all of nekoware, I can't install them if they're compressed with software manager. I'm using Irix 6.5.30.
My debian server, works perfectly: I can install Irix or OpenBSD, inst and software manager open all of directories that contain install files, but not my nekoware's directory because all file are compressed in tardist.
tardist's are regular uncompressed tar-archives. simply untar them on your debian server:

tar -xvf rara.tardist -C .
The file program will tell you if they're really tar files or not. If file can't tell what they are they were probably corrupted somewhere in the download and all you should need to do is download them again.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
jimmer wrote: tardist's are regular uncompressed tar-archives. simply untar them on your debian server:

tar -xvf rara.tardist -C .

Code: Select all

tar: neko_zsh-4.3.9.tardist: not found in archive

vishnu wrote: The file program will tell you if they're really tar files or not. If file can't tell what they are they were probably corrupted somewhere in the download and all you should need to do is download them again.

My downloads are ok, to test, I have untar from Irix and it works, but not from Debian. My harddrive in my octane is about 8Gb, too small, that's why I stock nekowares in a server.
Resolved:

Code: Select all

for file in ls *.tardist; do tar -xvf $file; done
Nice. Proof of that old adage: "Unix is plenty user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
When you're installing a bunch of files it is noticeably faster to untar them from the command line (as the OP did) rather than trying to open them individually in swmgr or inst - while either of those will untar them to a temp directory, it's slow.
OP - assuming that you were trying something along the lines of "tar -xvf *" you've just run headlong into the "who expands the wildcards" debate that is still raging among some computer types. In UNIX the shell usually expands the wildcards, so you were shipping tar a list of all the files in the directory, and tar went through the first file in the list and searched that archive for all the other files.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)