IRIX and Software

irix 3 software wanted

hello

i'm looking for software to feed my old PI under irix 3.3

no commercial soft wanted of course.

Eve
You aren't going to find much then. ;)

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I've ported GCC3 to IRIX 3.3: ftp://ftp.jurassic.nl/pub/irix/gnu/irix-3.3/

The problem with IRIX 3.x is that the C library is pre-ANSI so it lacks a lot of functionality. This also makes porting existing code to it a lot of work. Not even mentioning the slow CPUs of these systems and that e.g. GNU 'make' isn't exactly something that makes good use of the 3D hardware or that you haven't seen on the nearest Linux system.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
merci beaucoup

Eve
Did 3.3 have Motif ? If so, Maxwell (the word processor) is pretty old and might be fun to get running. Also useful when you are done. Useful is good.

I don't think so. It has some ancient X11 runtime (X11R4?). I've got the old v1.2 Motif sources, but the X11 development system was an option for IRIX3 and I don't have it :(

A sufficiently old X11 should build from source (the libs, not the X server). I tried that once, it had IRIX (or was it IRIS?) specific code, but it doesn't build out of the box.

Remember that shared libraries are a royal pain in the behind on pre-ELF IRIX. The process is rather involved, will almost certainly have to be done manually. You have to hard-code the load address which may not overlap with another shared library. The same mess as pre-ELF Linux, basically.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
computron wrote:
i'm looking for software to feed my old PI under irix 3.3

No guarantees, this came off some academic ftp site years ago, won't work in 6.5, the readme mentions the PI ... pretty sure it's not commercial. Can delete it if there's a concern tho ...
Attachment:
etherview.1.02.tar.gz [364.34 KiB]
Downloaded 9 times

World domination! Or something...