IRIX and Software

A story of web browsing

Hello,

I put a newbie question into my presentation topic but gambonyx suggested me to create a separated topic for this.

Recently, I restarted an Indy with R4600 CPU and 256Mb Memory.

Irix 6.5.22 is installed on it.

So, I was searching for a web browser to use on it.

I had a look on Nekoware and found Firefox 1.5. from Mips3 distribution. First question, is this correct R4600 is not a Mips4 CPU?

So, I installed Firefox with all needed dependencies. It start without problem but when I open Google page, the application exit and I see "Bus Error" into the console.

I made a test with the old Netscape and I'm able to search on google but after browsing 2 or 3 pages it exit too with a message like "Closed Netscape to prevent a loop".

So SAQ suggested me to try Seamonkey. I downloaded the Mips3 release and installed it too. For Seamonkey, I do not find the Icon to start it. Is there something I missed?

Many thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Fabian
:Indy: :Indy: :Octane:
Fabian wrote: First question, is this correct R4600 is not a Mips4 CPU?
While the naming convention might be superficially clear as mud, the man page for MIPS4 ( man mips4 ) offers a little additional insight in to what MIPS processor hardware is supported:
DESCRIPTION
    The MIPS4 instruction set extensions consist of a backward compatible superset of the MIPS3 instruction set. The MIPS4 extensions are intended primarily to provide better performance in floating point numeric processing. These features are currently supported under IRIX6.2 running on machines with the R8000, R10000, or R5000 microprocessors.
(Note: The on-line man page is obviously a little dated, while it specifically mentions IRIX6.2, in the case of MIPS4 nekoware that would be IRIX6.5.21 or higher.)
Fabian wrote: So SAQ suggested me to try Seamonkey. I downloaded the Mips3 release and installed it too. For Seamonkey, I do not find the Icon to start it. Is there something I missed?
Try starting seamonkey from the command line:

Code: Select all

/usr/nekoware/bin/seamonkey
If that works, you can drag the icon for the seamonkey executable from /usr/nekoware/bin to the icon catalog in Toolchest, your Desktop (or anywhere else you have writable access) to make a shortcut.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I was having problems with the script correctly executing the iconbookedit command to add Seamonkey to the toolchest.

Didn't get it fixed.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I gave a try to seamonkey and even if I installed all the required files, there is something apparently missing into my installation:

INDY 19# /usr/nekoware/bin/seamonkey
969:/usr/nekoware/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/seamonkey-bin: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libintl.so.9' under any of the filenames ./../dist/bin/libintl.so.9:/usr/nekoware/lib/libintl.so.9:/usr/nekoware/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/libintl.so.9:/usr/nekoware/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/plugins/libintl.so.9:/
usr/nekoware/lib/mre/mre-1.1.8/libintl.so.9:/usr/lib32/libintl.so.9:/usr/lib32/internal/libintl.so.9:/lib32/libintl.so.9:/opt/lib32/libintl.so.9:../../dist/bin/libintl.so.9.9:
/usr/nekoware/lib/libintl.so.9.9:/usr/nekoware/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/libintl.so.9.9:/usr/nekoware/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/plugins/libintl.so.9.9:/usr/nekoware/lib/mre/mre-1.1.8
/libintl.so.9.9:/usr/lib32/libintl.so.9.9:/usr/lib32/internal/libintl.so.9.9:/lib32/libintl.so.9.9:/opt/lib32/libintl.so.9.9:

Do you know what is this? I searched into Nekoware mips3 but didn't found libintl.

:oops:
Fabian wrote: I gave a try to seamonkey and even if I installed all the required files, there is something apparently missing into my installation:

INDY 19# /usr/nekoware/bin/seamonkey
969:/usr/nekoware/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/seamonkey-bin: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libintl.so.9' under any of the filenames

Do you know what is this? I searched into Nekoware mips3 but didn't found libintl.

My nekoware installation might be slightly different (I'm running the MIPS4 stuff), but it looks like my version was a part of neko_gettext:
libintl.jpg
libintl.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 347 times

If you already have neko_gettext installed, you might try it again, but this time select the "Custom Installation" tab (in Software Manager) and expand the selections list to make sure the libintl.so stuff was selected. BTW, If you haven't already, it also might not hurt to download and run the neko_fixpath utility (it's a shell script, so just expand it and run it from the command line).
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I just had a look into Gettext package:

Mips4 one contain Libintl.4 and Libintl.9
Mips3 one contain only libintl.4. So, Libintl.9 is not on my system.

By the way, I just gave an additional try for Firefox but from Ximg on my PC and it works perfectly without bus error.

Computer technology is a great world :P
Hi Fabian,
on my older IRISes I've found Dillo to be an excellent option for basic web browsing.
I have it on one of my Indys with IRIX 6.5.22 and 128MB of RAM, I have it on an Iris Indigo with IRIX 6.5.22 and I want to say 32MB of RAM, and I still get (IMO) acceptable browsing.
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield
Fabian wrote: I just had a look into Gettext package:

Mips4 one contain Libintl.4 and Libintl.9
Mips3 one contain only libintl.4. So, Libintl.9 is not on my system.

By the way, I just gave an additional try for Firefox but from Ximg on my PC and it works perfectly without bus error.

Computer technology is a great world :P

Is that still a version that I built, or is it a newer one?

Mine should be linked against the MIPS-3 libintl, and I thought that it was the one in /mips3. If there's a version in /mips3/beta you can check that (but dependencies should have picked that up).

I know other people had tested out my Seamonkey on different machines, so it shouldn't just be an oddity of my install.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Bingo, the beta version of Gettext for mips3 contain Libintl.9 and now Seamonkey run perfectly on my good old indy :-)

By the way, I gave atry to dillo too, this is very basic but really fast.

Thanks everyones for your help :)
So it looks like I need to rejigger dependencies to pick up the correct version of libintl.

Of course, Seamonkey's so old that it should probably be completely redone.