IRIX and Software

new beta Mips 4 packages

Hello,
I have already installed some of the beta packages that exist in mips4 section (nekoware) on my Octane.
I have searched various threads to find out if someone else has faced any similar issues after the installation of those packages.

The main issue I got is that in some apps like Abiword or X-chat, the fonts have been replaced by unreadable "square characters".

Among the others, I think I installed updated Pango libraries, fontconfig etc...
Do we have any solution on this or I have to rollback to my previous versions ?
http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16723078#p7320187

Just wondering, where is the new mips4 packages... why do we leave platform die ?
I would like to see recent browsers/clients/apps being ported to super Silicon platform.
dir_marillion wrote:
Just wondering, where is the new mips4 packages... why do we leave platform die ?
I would like to see recent browsers/clients/apps being ported to super Silicon platform.

Because it's a lot of work for the newer programs. Many expect newer libraries/calls than IRIX provides, many have things from GNU/Linux in them that need to be rewritten to work with IRIX, and many Nekochanners don't have the spare time. Kudos to those that do, but I haven't been building as much b/c I don't have the time to learn the programming skills necessary to do the porting.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
Hi SAQ,
Thanks to you, we have our MIPS3 systems up and running with recent Browsers / CD-Rec software / Alternative Audio Players... awesome work !!

My concerns are about earlier MIPS4 systems such like Octanes/Fuels/Tezros etc... which deserve to have more recent internet clients/browsers, a recent office application, flash/java plug-ins... if this could be possible.

I am sure this is a hard work, but the platform deserves it

If someone could teach me or could prepare a quick guide for building Mips4 packages.?.?. but for the moment I can only test packages to both platforms :mrgreen:
dir_marillion wrote:
If someone could teach me or could prepare a quick guide for building Mips4 packages.?.?.

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/index.php/ ... g_Software