IRIX and Software

Please help! Cannot log in. tset: unknown terminal type

After booting up today, I was surprised to find all my command terminals saying tset: unknown terminal type iris-ansi. I did not do anything I know of before shutting down last time (edit: oh, I did run nekosync and updated many packages), and all the /usr/share/lib/terminfo files are still there. Can anyone guess what went wrong and how I can fix this?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5795&start=30

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5795&start=30

I don't think so, because I find that "mlterm" works, but it is the only entry I have under /usr/nekoware/share/terminfo. tset is not able to find iris-ansi, vt100, xterm, etc. :?

Code:
./5
./5/5051
./a
./a/arpanet
./d
./d/dialup
./d/dumb
./d/dtterm
./e
./e/ethernet
./i
./i/ibm-pc
./i/ibm5051
./i/iris40
./i/ibmpc
./i/iris
./i/iris-ansi
./i/iris-ansi-24
./i/iris-ansi-24-net
./i/iris-ansi-66
./i/iris-ansi-66-net
./i/iris-ansi-net
./i/iris-tp
./i/iris-color
./n
./n/net
./n/network
./u
./u/unknown
./v
./v/visual
./v/visual50
./v/vs100
./v/vs100s
./v/vt100-am
./v/vt100-bot-s
./v/vt100-nam-w
./v/vt100-s-top
./v/vt100-top-s
./v/vt100-w-am
./v/vt100-w-nav
./v/v50am
./v/vi200
./v/vi200-f
./v/vi200-ic
./v/vi200-rv
./v/vi200-rv-ic
./v/vi300
./v/vi300-aw
./v/vi300-rv
./v/vi300-ss
./v/vi50
./v/vi550
./v/vt100
./v/vt100-nam
./v/vt100-nav
./v/vt100-nav-w
./v/vt100-np
./v/vt100-s
./v/vt100-s-bot
./v/vt100-w
./v/vt100-w-nam
./v/vt100am
./v/vt100nam
./v/vt100s
./v/vt100w
./v/vt125
./v/vt132
./v/vt220
./v/vt50
./v/vt50h
./v/vt52
./w
./w/wy-50
./w/wy50
./w/wyse-50
./w/wsiris
./w/wsiris24
./w/wyse50
./x
./x/xterm
./x/xterms
./x/xwsh
./s
./s/screen
./s/screen-bce
./s/screen-s

Are the permissions set such that tset can access the terminfo files that are there? 444 is standard.

I realise it's a really lame suggestion but have you considered running an xfs_repair on the root fs, just in case something got crapped up there? It's certainly unusual to have this sort of thing happen all by itself.

Code:

Are the permissions set such that tset can access the terminfo files that are there? 444 is standard.

I realise it's a really lame suggestion but have you considered running an xfs_repair on the root fs, just in case something got crapped up there? It's certainly unusual to have this sort of thing happen all by itself.

Theodric, Thanks for your ideas! All files are there, permissions are correct. I may try xfs_repair from the miniroot, but I still suspect something less intrusive should fix the problem. Is there any chance the recent nekoware upgrades could be responsible? I cannot think of anything else I did that would affect boot or login files.

You might try adding a new user from the gui and see what kind of results you get. Either it will work and you can compare files or it won't and you might get error messages.

Worth a try, maybe ...
hamei wrote:
nekobean wrote:
I may try xfs_repair from the miniroot, but I still suspect something less intrusive should fix the problem.

You might try adding a new user from the gui and see what kind of results you get. Either it will work and you can compare files or it won't and you might get error messages.

Worth a try, maybe ...

Thanks for the suggestion. I was away from the gui all weekend, so I did not get a chance to try, but as I woke up this morning, I suddenly thought: "$PATH!!!!" Checking
Code:
which tset
I found that it is using /usr/nekoware/bin/tset, which explains why it can only find mlterm. So, it was related to the new nekoware packages, after all. I went into /etc/profile (with ssh on an mlterm) and included "export TERMINFO=/usr/share/lib/terminfo". All done! :D

Thanks to theodric and hamei!

Thanks to all!

alternatively you can change the order of dirs of your $PATH. for example irix' tset is in /usr/bin/tset so if in your $PATH /usr/bin comes before /usr/nekoware/bin it's fine, too. it also does however affect all other files in those folders.