IRIX and Software

Upgrading IRIX 6.5.8 to 6.5.22

Will this affect any installed applications or network settings? I dont want to have to re-install anything or re-liscense any of my apps or mess around repairing network connections. Can anyone tell me if the risks are low?
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:
If you have a commercially licensed version of Xinet Appletalk, I think 6.5.22 installs a newer version than 6.5.8, and the new version won't work with the previous license. Also, Acrobat and Display PostScript disappear, but are replaced with xpdf and ghostscript. IIRC, the major changes in the Print subsystem don't come until around 6.5.28 or so, but you might want to read the 6.5.22 release notes first.

I've been planning to write a wiki page about all of this -- hoping to do so in a couple of weeks.
Other than the specific issues Jose just mentioned, if you're going to do a live upgrade be sure to install patch 5086.
bjames wrote: Can anyone tell me if the risks are low?
Human error is probably the biggest risk factor. You can minimize your exposure by having a fresh back up and or cloning the drive before you start.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Doh!!!! I forgot to mention the biggest issue of all (patch 5086)!

The other advice is spot-on, as well.

It's good to know that recondas has my back! Thanks, Dave!

recondas wrote: Other than the specific issues Jose just mentioned, if you're going to do a live upgrade sure to install patch 5086.
bjames wrote: Can anyone tell me if the risks are low?
Human error is probably the biggest risk factor. You can minimize your exposure by having a fresh back up and or cloning the drive before you start.
Thanks guys,

What is patch 5086 - where is is available?

So it seems that the risks are pretty low and should not affect my 3D apps that use FlexLM liscencing.

I plan on swapping my root drive for a faster one, so I will perform that first so I have a complete backup of the system disk before I upgrade.
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:
bjames wrote: Thanks guys,

What is patch 5086 - where is is available?

just from where you got 6.5.22

So it seems that the risks are pretty low and should not affect my 3D apps that use FlexLM liscencing.

no, the lics will be fine

I plan on swapping my root drive for a faster one, so I will perform that first so I have a complete backup of the system disk before I upgrade.

good idea.
anyhow i've never had that few problems with upgrades on any other os by far
r-a-c.de