IRIX and Software

SGI Cube Demo reloaded

Hello all,

Is it possible to find any piece of software which is optimized for the R8000 CPU?
I mean freeware or demo software, preferably for IRIX 6.2.

I recently have returned my POWER Indigo2 to life (it has 64 MB RAM, 4GB disk, GR3-Elan, floptical etc) so it would be very nice to have any software to show machine's possibilities.

You have to think of ATLAS as a building block for math and engineering apps; there's a clone of Mathlab that uses it for example. The PowerIndigo2 was always positioned as a pocket size number cruncher, so somehow this class of software suites it, I think.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Thank you for your interesting informations. I probably have to use the ATLAS in my code so I will try... (I have a small finite element analysis software)

Is your compiled ATLAS available somewhere?
Hello,

People were asking for more features, so I give people what they want!
Next week I am on a vacation, so I had to finish it quick.

You can download the new version here:
http://www.martin-steen.de/sgi/3dlviewer-sgi.gz

New commandline options are:

-xrot = X-axis rotation only
-yrot = Y-axis rotation only
-zrot = Z-axis rotation only
-window = Start in window-mode
-map <image.tga> = change map (see notes)
-itsacow = ???

Also, the zoom-limit has changed so you can take a very close look at
the model.

About the map-feature: You can provide your own environment-map as
a Targa-file (.tga). Size must fit the OpenGL requirements
(e.g. 256x256 or 128x128 or 64x64 Pixels), depth must be 24 bit.
I made a 256x256 Pixel test image with "gimp" on my fuel and it
worked.

Example:

Code: Select all

3dlviewer-sgi -yrot -window -map myimage.tga

= start the demo with y-rotation in window-mode, using
"myimage.tga" for mapping.

Have fun, Martin
Nice work!

And that cow is hollow... :)
(By looking underneath)

Other features I might find handy:
- different rotaional speed using command line arguments
- change rotaional speed using the mouse left button (like the SGI 'powerflip' demo)

About that second option; You can today rotate the object in whatever speed you'd like using mouse motion while holding the left mousebutton, but once you release the mousebutton it could remain in that speed. Kind of getting the feeling of "pushing up" the speed of it and let it continue to run.

I know these are just plain ridicoulus features, but I have a sense this application wasn't ment for the market-driven enterprise production enviroments either? :D

Now for everyone else to start posting different cool enviroment-maps!
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
Hello everyone -

Virtual Reality used to be a mainstay of IRIX applications, but like most things that started out on IRIX, VR-apps have left the CAVE and moved on to the PeeCee.

I was wondering if anybody in the nekochan community is using any of the newer 'commodity' VR environments, in particular SecondLife(tm). Of course there is no port of the SecondLife(tm) viewer to IRIX but I think it would be interesting to see if IRIX users have moved to the SecondLife(tm) platform on other systems.

Thanks for voting :)

Jimmer
Great question!

I've been a little skeptical of the whole Second Life phenomenon, but I've come across some very interesting 2nd Life spaces with health care angles. (I do a little "Health 2.0" work professionally, hence my interest.) For example, there is a group of paraplegics that get together for virtual dances, and at least one group of autistic folks who use 2nd Life to practice building social interaction skills in a safe environment.

That said, I don't really use Second Life. Just not enough hours in the day to explore it.
Did someone say TRON ? :shock: