IRIX and Software

a few tardists

Hi,

i've packaged some of of the things i built lately and thought i'd share them:

1. MLDonkey 2.5-4

MLDonkey ( http://www.nongnu.org/mldonkey/ ) is a popular client for several p2p networks. (eDonkey, Fasttrack, BitTorrent, Open Napster, Soulseek, Direct-Connect are activated in this build). Took me quite a while to get it running properly instead of just throwing bus errors all the time but it seems to be quite stable now. You should create some workdir for it inside your home directory and start it from within there to prevent it from dumping all its ini-files directly into your home dir..

http://www.kanera.de/irix/MLDonkey-2.5-4_mips3.tardist (mips3)
needs: fw_gtk+, fw_glib, fw_gettext

2. ObjectiveCaml 3.07 + lablgtk

as MLDonkey is written in ObjectiveCaml ( http://caml.inria.fr/ ), I had to build that one too. Not sure if its of interest to many people but here we go:

http://www.kanera.de/irix/OCaml-3.07_mips3.tardist (mips3, built with gcc 3.3)

3. Sylpheed-Claws 0.9.6

Sylpheed-Claws is the "cutting edge" branch of sylpheed and adds quite a few features the original sylpheed doesn't have yet: http://sylpheed-claws.sourceforge.net/features.php

http://www.kanera.de/irix/Sylpheed-Claws-0.9.6_mips3.tardist (mips3, built with MipsPro 7.4.1m)

compiled with openssl and gnupg support. needs: fw_gettext, fw_glib, fw_gtk+, fw_openssl
I didn't include fw_gnupg as prereq as it still runs without that one (just with disabled gpg support)

4. Lame 3.93.1

Lame ( http://lame.sourceforge.net/ ) is a very powerfull mp3 encoder. I know that there already is a package of that version on nekochan but it still might be of interest to some as its built with MipsPro 7.4.1m and turned out to be a bit faster than the gcc 3.x compiled one:

the gcc build:

Encoding as 44.1 kHz 320 kbps stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (4.4x) qval=2
Frame | CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU | ETA
10062/10064 (100%)| 1:17/ 1:17| 1:27/ 1:27| 3.4065x| 0:00

this one:

Encoding as 44.1 kHz 320 kbps stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (4.4x) qval=2
Frame | CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU | ETA
10062/10064 (100%)| 1:07/ 1:07| 1:16/ 1:16| 3.9207x| 0:00

so it encodes 320kbit/s mp3 at about 4x realtime on r12k-300, not bad :-)

http://www.kanera.de/irix/Lame-3.93.1_mips4.tardist (mips4, built with MipsPro 7.4.1m)

so long,
Timo
Thanks for the nice tardists! I've put a blog entry on the main page
Cool... little question though: Did you get sylpheed claws to compile with iconv support? If so, what variables did you set for the build process?

Thanks.
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
dexter1 wrote: Thanks for the nice tardists! I've put a blog entry on the main page

Thanks! Could you add a link to this forum thread for further information?

Hakimoto wrote: Cool... little question though: Did you get sylpheed claws to compile with iconv support? If so, what variables did you set for the build process?

hmm, it compiled right out of the box with iconv support. What problem are you seeing?

so long,
Timo
I for one am happy to see a faster lame. I wouldn't have thought the compiler differenece would be so pronounced. Thanks!
Hi,

as squeen pointed out, the version reflected by lame tardist was wrong (dumb typo). The packaged version is of course 3.93.1 and not 3.91.1. I renamed the tardist and edited above announcement. Could someone please change the blog entry accordingly?

so long,
Timo
I always tried over and over again to compile sylpheed (not claws) with iconv support, recompiling iconv and gettext from scratch etc. and never got it to work. Strange. Maybe it´s claws.
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
schleusel wrote: HI renamed the tardist and edited above announcement. Could someone please change the blog entry accordingly?

Just did that.
Getting all your ducks in a row with these tardists can be a real bitch -- I have alot of respect for the SGI freeware voluenteers.
Ok, so after 4 days and 3 phone calls to SGI Developer Relations I got my M-Stream access back, yay. So I figured I'd write up the things I've noticed that are new about 6.5.22 (compared to 6.5.19m, what I ran before) for those of you who haven't yet gotten a chance to upgrade.

Note that these are all cosmetic things I'll be touching on:

1) You know you've heard about it, but anti-aliased icons in FM are here. This means your desktop, filemanager, and icon catalog. Good news is, they look NICE. Atleast, on my LCD they look shockingly cleaner and more modern. Even the same icons as before, but just not looking pixelized make them look more modern. The bad news is: it's nowhere else. Icons displayed in control panels or other programs are still pixelized.

2) New background control panel. Gone are the color boxes to edit the colors used in the background pixmaps (those 5 boxes until the preview). Now, below the preview are 4 selections: Center background, scale background, stretch background, and tile background. However, they're all disabled. I'm not sure if this is because I'm using all 1280x1024 background images or what, so can anyone else comment on this?

3) Icon scaling on the desktop. If you go to the window settings control panel you can now choose between small, medium, and large icons for when you minimize windows. System icons are scaled, "X" icons (meaning, programs that set their own window icon) don't scale down when minimized, and are instead cropped.

Honestly, that's about it that I've noticed so far. Of course there are other nice features, such as upgraded NFS that no longer has security holes, along with various other fixes.
Hello,

I have tried to install the lame tardist.
I have the doc , the include, the man...
But where is the binary???
I try to install this on my R4400 indigo2...

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
That build of LAME he posted is a MIPS4 binary (r5k, r10k, r12k, etc.). your r4400 is only mips3, and therefore won't be able to run it.

Best option would be find out what he did to compile it and reproduce that work but with -mips3 set instead of -mips4
Anyone else having the issues I am with the XMMS 1.2.8 tardist? I used vegac's method of linking /temp/usr to /usr and got it to actually show up with the plgins, but it fails to actually play any of my MP3s. It'll zip through the list making an attempt to play and skipping to the next, but never actually play9ing anything.

vegac wrote:
made links to the plugins in ~/.xmms/plugins...) it worked fine for me, using the digital audio plugin.

How do you go about doing that? And I tried all the plugins that were listed and they all had the same result. Luckily it will coexist with 1.2.7 until I get this resolved.

Before I installed it I removed the freeware version, and ~/.xmms completely to have a clean starting point...
Shtoink wrote:
Anyone else having the issues I am with the XMMS 1.2.8 tardist? I used vegac's method of linking /temp/usr to /usr and got it to actually show up with the plgins, but it fails to actually play any of my MP3s. It'll zip through the list making an attempt to play and skipping to the next, but never actually play9ing anything.

hello,

read my comment at the title site.

just put the plugins in ~/.xmms/Plugins
no need to play 'linking' games :wink: