SGI: Discussion

I just discovered SGI's Google+ channel

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+silicongraphics

With quite some nostalgia on it.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Their twitter is the same. Lots of fun retro stuff there. One time they posted a horrible timeline from Wikipedia which forgot what the Onyx was and claimed that the Crimson succeeded the Indigo and was apparently the same thing as an Onyx and Onyx 2. I replied, and they replied to me. Also, Tezros were apparently generally available until 2007, who knew :lol: .

:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image
Dodoid wrote: Their twitter is the same. Lots of fun retro stuff there. One time they posted a horrible timeline from Wikipedia which forgot what the Onyx was and claimed that the Crimson succeeded the Indigo and was apparently the same thing as an Onyx and Onyx 2. I replied, and they replied to me. Also, Tezros were apparently generally available until 2007, who knew :lol:

Because in mid 2007 (right after Irix EOL) they had a great clearance sale, you could get an Octane 2 brand new for well under a thousand bucks.
I think they had stopped general availability though, didn't they? Only clearance? Also, the graph shows the Octane 2 being discontinued the day the Tezro came out, so it's still wrong :lol: .
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
It's somehow tragic, that now they do a brilliant fan-service for the community, SGI is probably going to disappear soon. :cry:
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Geoman wrote: It's somehow tragic, that now they do a brilliant fan-service for the community, SGI is probably going to disappear soon. :cry:

Their last post of this type was in January. I wonder if they've stopped it already.
Dodoid wrote:
Geoman wrote: It's somehow tragic, that now they do a brilliant fan-service for the community, SGI is probably going to disappear soon. :cry:

Their last post of this type was in January. I wonder if they've stopped it already.

Meh, their 'Throwback Thursday' is not original content but just linking to random things on youtube. And they seem to consider the Altix vintage?

For a real Throwback Thursday, check out the AT&T Tech Channel .
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
SGI's twitter just got renamed to @HPE_HPC... Shame, I liked their posts about old machines.