SGI: Discussion

CSD Training Video from June 1994

ian_finder gave me this VHS tape to digitize. It appears to be a training tape reviewing the installation of the then new IP19 boardset, upgrading the IO4 PROM and then installing Irix 6.0. There's also a quiz at the end where you can get certified for the upgrade and receive a FREE SOUVENIR! 8-)

:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Brilliant, who'd have ever thought these two guys attended the razz-ma-taz parties that SGI were so famous for..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
oh what a nice time travel :D

hmm actually, since you were the one ripping it, could you upload the original somewhere? not sure if youtube applies some additional conversion
r-a-c.de
The video was uploaded as an uncompressed but deinterlaced AVI (my ISP must of loved that because it's nearly seven gigs). The quality from the tape itself was already pretty poor.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

pentium wrote: The video was uploaded as an uncompressed but deinterlaced AVI (my ISP must of loved that because it's nearly seven gigs).

that doesn't sound like uncompressed at all. it's 32min at 480x360@30fps. uncompressed one second is 16mb so one minute is almost 1gb already.
anyway pity you let youtube do the encoding. something like that should be preserved in better quality even if the source isn't the best either.
r-a-c.de
The video feed I get from my Canopus box is raw video and it's always been like that for every project I've used it on. 6.8gb IS the file as lossless as I could get it. Outside of the quirks of deinterlacing I see no degrading of the quality compared to the original tape.

It's just a really poor quality recording.

fair enough and thanks again for posting :D
r-a-c.de
I see even something as inane as this video cannot escape the rampant shitposting that comprise the vast bulk of all youtube comments.
VenomousPinecone wrote: I see even something as inane as this video cannot escape the rampant shitposting that comprise the vast bulk of all youtube comments.

That's the reason I turned on moderated comments on my (so far, single) YouTube video post. As it was of a Crimson booting, I could smell the "But can it run Crysis?!" comments a mile away.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
VenomousPinecone wrote: I see even something as inane as this video cannot escape the rampant shitposting that comprise the vast bulk of all youtube comments.

feel free to extend this to the vast majority of all sites :P
handy in this case to only allow scripts from youtube which takes care of the comments automatically while protecting your privacy as well :-)
r-a-c.de