SGI: Discussion

SFTP Server setup?

How do I setup a SFTP server on an octane.
Shame I have forgotten!
need to use with WINSCP

Thanks!
Surely you just need sshd installed?

SFTP sits ontop of ssh.

I'm a PuTTY fan myself.
I thought I had that installed, but could not find it. I've found evidence of its presence, ssh-config, sftp-server etc., but not the daemon. Is the tardist at http://freeware.sgi.com still operable? I have tried (re)installing
fw_Openssh-3.7.1p2.tardist from there but clicking on the install icon there just provides page of garbled display, not the usual installation page.

Added:
Might have spoken too soon. found /usr/freeware/sbin/sshd but not the needed
/etc/openssh/sshd_config
Freeware hasn't been updated in several years. I'm not sure that SGI is actively maintaining the site any more - which might explain your issues with the web-based install link.

Considering the age of the freeware version, you might consider running the ssh that's available from nekoware.
http://www.mechanics.citg.tudelft.nl/~e ... p1.tardist

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I was able to retrieve the neko_openssh-5.3p1.tardist. Installation is so far complete according to the Software Manager. There were two conflicts requiring ( from the ssh client and the sftp-server) openssl.sw.lib (I think). Apparently,
neko_openssl-0.9.8k.tardist solved this.

Now the various man pages and other files do not give setup information. I do recall previously having to set up lines in rc*.d files, config files or others to get the daemon started. The files in /etc/openssh or /etc/ssh do not seem to be connected to relevant files. Perhaps my $PATH has an inappropriate sequence also, the Software Manager said it was removing some files (not the distro files) so I am assuming the installed files with instructions are somewhere on the disk, but I cant find them.

any directive on "How to proceed would be helpful"

An attempt to use -
find / -name * -atime -1 -print
to find files accessed within the last 24 hrs did not seem to help either. If someone has a twist on this I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
jaymax wrote:
any directive on "How to proceed would be helpful"

There's an article in the nekochan wiki on setting up sshd that might be helpful: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/index.php/Setup_neko_sshd

....and a nekochan discussion on sshd <also linked in the wiki>: viewtopic.php?t=8221

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
jaymax wrote:
How do I setup a SFTP server on an octane.
Shame I have forgotten!
need to use with WINSCP

Thanks!

Once you got ssh running, ever tried ExpanDrive if not try it it's really easy and nice and cheap.

/michael

risk.
normally just running sshd should enable sftp functionality in most cases