SGI: Discussion

SGI Remarketed

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/environment/remanufactured.html

Does this include the systems that were smashed to bits a few years ago?

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11793&start=0&hilit=warehouse

I just got the "Remarks" newsletter and that was one of the links in the e-mail. "The most environmentally friendly computer is the one that's already built." Fucking morons.
i've got to believe the worst environmental computer offender is the consumer PC market. this group has the collective hardware attention span of 6 months. we would probably be much better off all around if consumers never had access to computer products, period.

probably an unpopular view but wtf.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Alas, as humans, we are permenantly dispappointed, we cycle round a "covet, crave, buy, regret" loop.

Look at the financial mess that consumerism has got us into. :)
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
It's not the landfill waste those shredded systems created that irked me, it's this...

Many of our systems provide the performance, reliability and longevity for two lifetimes. SGI Remarketed Products program recycles available materials from trade-in programs, lease returns, and excess demo, and then fully refurbishes this equipment into dependable, cost-effective systems and options.

Granted it was a different group of clowns running things in 2006 compared to today. At least I assume it is. Or this is just Rackable's SOP being applied to the SGI inventory.

If they would have put that inventory up for sale I would have gladly dipped into savings for a reasonably priced remarketed Tezro. But not an $11,795 dip like they are now.
87Porsche wrote: It's not the landfill waste those shredded systems created that irked me, it's this...

Many of our systems provide the performance, reliability and longevity for two lifetimes. SGI Remarketed Products program recycles available materials from trade-in programs, lease returns, and excess demo, and then fully refurbishes this equipment into dependable, cost-effective systems and options.

Granted it was a different group of clowns running things in 2006 compared to today. At least I assume it is. Or this is just Rackable's SOP being applied to the SGI inventory.

If they would have put that inventory up for sale I would have gladly dipped into savings for a reasonably priced remarketed Tezro. But not an $11,795 dip like they are now.

How much were they before SGI started scrapping them?
:Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :O2: :O2+:

Octane2 2x600 V12 8GB
- Octane2 600 V12 2GB - Octane 2x400 V10 2GB
Indigo² 195 Max Impact 386MB - Indigo² 250 Extreme 386MB
O2 350 CRM 256MB - O2+ 400 CRM 512MB

"I'm totally unappreciated in my time. You can run this whole park from this room, with minimal staff, for up to three days. You think that kind of automation is easy? Or cheap? You know anybody who can network eight Connection Machines and de-bug two million lines of code for what I bid this job? Because if you can, I'd love to see him try."
Didn't SGI have that page before Rackable bought them? I tend to skim over the blurb and look at the price so I don't know if the remarketed is green! claim was there before.
zackwatt wrote: How much were they before SGI started scrapping them?

New car expensive. They were EOL'ed in Dec. 2006 so one would still have paid regular price during the slaughter.
87Porsche wrote: They were EOL'ed in Dec. 2006 so one would still have paid regular price during the slaughter.

The judge who approved that fiasco should be taken out behind the woodshed. Really helped them avoid future bankruptcies, too. Cheated the stockholders, cheated the public ... it's time to change the rules about corporations.
inventory costs money, lots. nobody was buying the systems. scrap 'em. what's so hard to understand?

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: inventory costs money, lots. nobody was buying the systems. scrap 'em. what's so hard to understand?

Funny thing about that ... here's a confession : I have friends who are auctioneers.

Normally when a business goes bankrupt the court auctions off the assets to pay the bills. This is the normal state of affairs with restaurants, stationery stores, gas stations, webdesign masters of the universe, bookstores, just about any kind of broke business you can imagine.

It works this way - the company owes more than it has. Therefore the bankruptcy court takes control of the assets and sells them to pay the creditors. In this case, rather than sell valuable assets in public and receiving money which would go to creditors and stockholders, they paid to crush hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of assets in secret.

That's bullshit.
hamei wrote: In this case, rather than sell valuable assets in public and receiving money which would go to creditors and stockholders, they paid to crush hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of assets in secret.

let's go back to the original problem - what customers bought what products again?

it's not evil, it's business.

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: let's go back to the original problem - what customers bought what products again?

Customers ? They were bankrupt . They couldn't pay their bills. They were broke . Whatever customers might have paid if they'd offered up the units at a steep discount (did they sell all those Octanes or not ?) was not relevant. Loser piece of shit companies don't have customers.

... it's not evil, it's business.

It's not business, it's weaseling out of debts by misleading the justice system.
oh god not you too with the bold and italics. *sigh*

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: inventory costs money, lots. nobody was buying the systems. scrap 'em. what's so hard to understand?

It's obvious no one was buying them at regular price. But they didn't even try to sell them at a discount. At least make an attempt to try and live up to their tree hugging claims. Instead they were pulling lint out of their pocket with one hand and pushing these systems off a cliff with the other.

Don't they know that's not what I wanted to have happen? I wanted a Tezro for every room of the house. Even the laundry room.
skywriter wrote: oh god not you too with the bold and italics. *sigh*

I'm practicing so I can get a highly-paid job as a Firefox programmer giving something to the community. Now if I could just figure out how to get that hopping bunny thing to work ... :(