Hardware Wanted

Wanted: PSU for Indigo2 IMPACT

It seems as though my very recently acquired Indigo2 IMPACT blew it's power supply. Disappointing :(

Just wondered if anyone had one at a reasonable price for a fellow enthusiast?

Many thanks.
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
If you're handy with a soldering iron you could try to replace a couple of caps (4 of them). Success rate is roughly 50-50 in my experience, but it costs almost nothing so why not try.

The procedure is documented on Ian Mapleson's site I think
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Yeah - I did have a read of that. I've literally not used a soldering iron since school and would be worried about cooking myself through my ignorance of electronics and handling capacitors so not sure opening the old power supply is really something I should be considering.... :(
Bump.
define reasonable cost?
Ian Mapleson has them starting at £75 / $113 - it's a fair enough price given the scarcity, but was hoping to come in under that given that I didn't pay much more for the whole system - including the system itself, monitor, SGI keyboard & mouse, external DAT drive, external hard drive, external CDROM, and vertical standing feet!
dhjj wrote: define reasonable cost?

If you're referring to reworking the capacitors: there are four of them per PSU, and they cost maybe $0,10 ... $0,20 a piece from Farnell, DigiKey, ...

There's probably an MOQ of 10 but a couple of bucks is enough to rework a dozen or so PSUs.

The guts of a switching PSU can be lethal if you don't know what you're doing.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
If you can't find anybody closer (I am in USA) I could fix it for free if you pay for shipping both ways. It is a bit of a stretch however, so I don't recommend it.

While I can replace the caps easily enough, we don't know for sure if that is the problem, and I do not have a machine to test it with (though if the diagnostic drawing says the power-on pin, I can test it on bench easily enough...)
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
That is an extremely kind offer.. I could look into the shipping costs, but I suspect they may not be friendly - and as you say you've no way of actually testing the supply.

I do have a few friends who are very competent with computer electronics but I sort of hate going to them with my begging bowl in hand.. I'm inclined to ask one of them though and see if he fancies having a go at this.

Would anyone be able to point me at the exact capacitors I'd need to buy as I have absolutely no clue at all with this sort of thing!
If you get the parts I'll solder them in for you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
I'd recommend reading Ian's page on this. He points out exactly which 4 caps need replacing and the correct types to replace them with. If you can get one of your friends to do it and re-pay them in beer tokens, that should be enough! For anyone competent with soldering and electronics, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do the work.

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/i2psu.html
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
I may well be in touch uunix - I need to bring that Octane drive back to you at some point anyway so could kill two birds with one stone..
Priced up capacitors from Farnell (barely even £1 for all the ones I need) and a friend of mine who's very good with electronics looked at the guide and said it looked 'an easy repair' so going to try and arrange an evening to pop over to his in the coming weeks and sort it out :)
Excellent. Please let us know how it goes!
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2