Hardware Wanted

WTB: Onyx2 backplane

I'd like to buy an onyx2 backplane, shipping will be to Seattle, WA.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Probably you want deskside, but gotta check. Deskside, CM or GM? I have a CM midplane.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Deskside yep. The one where the XIO cards connect to.

Would they work in an onyx2? I always wondered.

They'd work in a rack Onyx2 compute module. They have the XIO slots, but no graphics slots.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Would they work in a deskside?

I don't know for sure but I have always thought the compute modules were identical in rack and deskside configurations. However if you have an Onyx2 deskside that you want to fit it into, there might be some physical limitations. Compare with the wiki where we documented the tear down of the compute modules:

http://wiki.nekochan.net/wiki/Removing_O2K_Midplane

That does sounds like a full day of work, I would think those would be identical in size, anyone knows for sure?

The outer dimensions of both backplanes may be the same, but the number (and position) of XIO slots is not the same. You'd have to replace various bits of metalwork to install essentials like the IO6 / IO6G.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
I see, so if I were to get a new metal cage and new motherboard, I would, in fact, have a O2k in an onyx2 "case", right? Of course I would have to get an IO6 as well. Do they share the same power supply?

Yep, the Origin2000 deskside and Onyx2 use the same basic case and power supply. The backplane is different, as are the slot numbering bits and supports (the Onyx2 uses 2 nodeboards + graphics, Origin2000 uses 4 nodeboards and extra XIO). You can get a rack compute module and put it on your deskside base + skins, and that would probably be the easiest route.

You could also trade - generally Onyx2s are more valuable than an equivalent Origin2000.

Doubt anyone wants to trade in the Seattle area; all those onyx2 were junked from Boeing, I don't think they had a whole lot of origin2k.