Hardware For Sale/Trade

(SOLD) Onyx4 2x1Ghz /8g /143g /V12 /audio /DVD

Hey Guys,
I have an Onyx4 (O350) for sale. Dual 1Ghz CPUs, 8 gig ram, 143 gig 15k hard drive, V12 graphics, DVD, revolution audio board, PS/2 ports.

Looking to get $700 shipped in the US.

I have three of these systems.

Here is the ebay link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/252322913495?ss ... 1555.l2649

Thanks,
John
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:
Did it always look like that? Because an Onyx4 was supposed to have an ATI graphics card.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
It's set up the same was as recondas's O350 , with InfinitePerformance graphics, which is V12.
The 1 GHz R16000 is physically bigger and won't fit the Fuel V12 card when the node has 4 CPUs, only 2.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: It's set up the same was as recondas's O350 , with InfinitePerformance graphics, which is V12.
The 1 GHz R16000 is physically bigger and won't fit the Fuel V12 card when the node has 4 CPUs, only 2.

Exactly, This is one I built. I shorten the CPU shroud so the V12 will fit and add a fan under the V12.

The Onyx4 Systems I have use a separate 2U chassis with the ATI cards for graphics.

I now have a Rackmount Tezro/ Onyx350 system, so I will take all of these apart and document the differences in photos.

this is a neat mod for sure. if i didn't have something similar i'd grab one
r-a-c.de
I'm seriously tempted but hamei's horror stories about how bad his O350 treated him are a significant cautionary tale, do you think he just got unlucky with a lemon? Because on paper anyway thousands of Origins have been running 24/7 in sgi supercomputers for years, and you don't hear any tales of woe coming from them. Unless they're just like google and the second one of them shows a glitch it gets yanked and tossed on the scrap heap... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
as much as i like hamei's rants i cannot confirm the o350 related ones. mine has always been fine even when i had some quite unordinary mods applied :P
this is the best irix machine you can get and this particular one is even more special due to the onyx4 case.
r-a-c.de
vishnu wrote: I'm seriously tempted but hamei's horror stories about how bad his O350 treated him are a significant cautionary tale, do you think he just got unlucky with a lemon? Because on paper anyway thousands of Origins have been running 24/7 in sgi supercomputers for years, and you don't hear any tales of woe coming from them. Unless they're just like google and the second one of them shows a glitch it gets yanked and tossed on the scrap heap... :shock:

I bought my O350 more than 5 years ago and it's been running 24/7 since the day I got it. So far, the only issues I've had are:

1. One of the PSUs failed. This turned out to be a design flaw (search the archives). I repaired it and it didn't fail since.

2. The system disk failed. I replaced the disk and recovered from backups.

3. One of the CPUs will throw a correctable L2 cache error every once in a while, especially on a hot summer day. It's been years and it doesn't seem to get worse. If I didn't run this thing 24/7 I might never have noticed. I have a spare CPU board in case it decides to fail entirely but I can't be bothered to take it offline to replace it pre-emptively.

That's it. The NVRAM batteries are probably good as new because the system is always running :mrgreen:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
I replaced my octane2 with one of these conversions and other than a PSU failure it has been a trooper. Granted it only gets used a few times a week but I have had way better luck than my Octane2. Couple this with the much lower cost of replacement parts for the O350 makes it a better IRIX machine.

The O350 does lack the Octane2s cool factor. For me the cool factor wore off after I had a second ram failure on the Octane2 that claimed one of the 1g modules.

Everybody has their own SGI demon child. For me it is the Fuel, I have suffered so many times with those systems that I actually enjoy parting them out.

My favorite system is a quad 700 Tezro. Cool factor and very reliable.

I have always wondered.. how much louder is this system compared to an Octane, or even a Tezro, that would be a couple feet at most from your ears? Higher pitched noises or lower pitched?
necron2600 wrote: I have always wondered.. how much louder is this system compared to an Octane, or even a Tezro, that would be a couple feet at most from your ears? Higher pitched noises or lower pitched?

I would say it is as load as a Tezro but at a different frequency. The big fans on an O350 are in the back so under a desk or in a rack they aren't to bad. But, if you set one of these on a table with the rear of the unit near a wall it is as loud as an Octane in fast fan.

necron2600 wrote: how much louder is this system compared to an Octane

not louder at all.

Higher pitched noises or lower pitched?

higher. anyway you can control the fan speed. i have mine at 1450 and it's quite harmless that way while not causing heat problems
r-a-c.de
John, did you sell all three of them? Or was only one of your O350s an Onyx 4?
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: John, did you sell all three of them? Or was only one of your O350s an Onyx 4?

I sold several systems and everybody wanted the Oynx4 plastics. I have one more set of the Onyx4 plastics and 3 sets of the Onyx350 plastics.

The rest of the system is standard Origin350. What setup were you looking for?

mopar5150 wrote:
vishnu wrote: John, did you sell all three of them? Or was only one of your O350s an Onyx 4?

I sold several systems and everybody wanted the Oynx4 plastics. I have one more set of the Onyx4 plastics and 3 sets of the Onyx350 plastics.

The rest of the system is standard Origin350. What setup were you looking for?

Wow, where'd you get all the plastics? There must be a bunch of bare Onyx4s and O350s out there somewhere. So that was your last Onyx4?
Project:
Plan: