Hardware For Sale/Trade

stripped Onyx2 rack in Los Angeles: free

Hi!

With the pickup of my new system, I stripped the old one for the RM's, the GE, the DG5-TVO, the memory and some of the XIO boards.

So, does someone want a free stripped Onyx2? All you need to do is show up with your truck and it's yours.

sgi1.JPG
Wide shot, front
:Onyx2RE: :Octane2: :Octane:
Ah, the West Coast, still the hotbed of smoking SGI deals.

Whoever gets this will be very lucky.
Yeah, if only I wasn't on the wrong side of the country I'd be all over that... :-(

-Jesse
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
The current fleet.
hirudin wrote: OK.. now for the specs:

4X 2P 400MHz nodeboards
GE 16-4
2xRM7

A few remarks:

* The nodeboard in the picture does *not* have 400MHz CPUs, but 250 or 300MHz. The 400MHz CPUs look like this (notice how the cooling fins are different and glued, not screwed):

* XT-HD requires 400MHz or better nodes though. Has something to do with the revision of the HUB chip on the nodeboards IIRC. A little confusing since the 400 and 500MHz PIMMs will work on any IP31 board, and vice versa.

* The combination of GE16-4 and RM7 does work, but is very unusual (not sold by SGI). Probably either a GE14-4, or RM9's.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
hirudin wrote: I know moving one of these can be awesome (and by awesome I mean a pain).
Just in case anyone outside of LA might be tempted - moving a single-rack system is pretty straightforward if you have access to a pick up truck and a helper. I picked up the one I had using this method , and it went to the new owner the same way <in a mini-sized pickup truck>.

dc_v01 used the same method when he picked up his Onyx2. He documented the process with photos here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16721076
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
* The nodeboard in the picture does *not* have 400MHz CPUs, but 250 or 300MHz. The 400MHz CPUs look like this (notice how the cooling fins are different and glued, not screwed):
IMGA0276.med.JPG

Thanks for the notes: I did swap out the 14-4 for the 16-4, which would explain that oddness (I was planning to upgrade the RM7 -> RM10, but the new system already has this) but this is the ONLY modification to this system since it was decommissioned and in my stewardship.

This was a working system... it was an inferno in a post house and I moved it personally from that facility in Burbank. It was removed from service, but still connected to the company's network when I turned up. Thus if the XT-HD only works with 400MHz and above, I don't have any clue how they managed it. I looked up the serial numbers online, nekochan and elsewhere, all stated 400MHz. So if they're only 250/300MHz, it just seems odd. Or there are multiple shared components on the 300MHz/400MHz nodeboards that have the same serial #'s?

If only for some 250V!
Thanks for the info, Recondas!

Although the option for free delivery is gone, for any buyer I'll help out any way I can, whether it's referring to well priced freighters to assisting getting this beast into your truck.

Thanks!

-J

recondas wrote:
hirudin wrote: I know moving one of these can be awesome (and by awesome I mean a pain).
Just in case anyone outside of LA might be tempted - moving a single-rack system is pretty straightforward if you have access to a pick up truck and a helper. I picked up the one I had using this method , and it went to the new owner the same way <in a mini-sized pickup truck>.

dc_v01 used the same method when he picked up his Onyx2. He documented the process with photos here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16721076
*BUMP*
I'd like the front fascia of the CPU module if it ends up getting dumpstered.

I also have a graphic module that I don't need and a graphics module front plate fascia.

R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware