Emulation

help to setup e-uae

Hi to all, I'm newbie here...

I wish to install and use e-uae from nekoware on my Indigo2 r10k with a fresh IRIX 6.5.21 installation...

I setup the tardist and all relative dependencies but I have some error about "pango" and other things... about configuration

I read the man but the info is not relative to the IRIX port of e-uae

there is someone here that have a guide for that? or can help me in some way?

many thanks in advance
Hello emilen72 - welcome to the nekochan forums.

Regarding your problems with e-uae, could post the error message(s) you're seeing?
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
hi recondas, thanks for the welcome here...

in the meantime hi fix the trouble.... I discovered that the default installation of pango and fontconfig don't set all the sub option... I reinstalled the two packages with all the subs set on... and now e-uae starts...

it need to set the x11.use_mitshm=false in the .uaerc file and set the 24 bin on Xmanagers file otherwise the gui was bad

I have loaded kickstart 1.3 and tryed wb1.3 and some games, kick 3.1 and WB... but I'm not very satisfied from performance of the emulator :( maybe my machine is not the best, it have only 128MB ram, or maybe I need to well setup other option. I have an old 2000's version of winuae installation on my old pentium4 and have not paragon on performance :shock:

your experiences is better than mine?
emilen72 wrote: ... I'm not very satisfied from performance of the emulator :(

Those things are never going to work very well on SGI hardware. Even if you ignore all the other problems, SGI hardware is oriented more to floating-point, maybe 50-50 between floating and integer. Intel is heavy on integer. All the people who do these apps have Intel processors, so they optimize all to heck for integer operations.

'Mainstream" software is pretty much a losing proposition on SGI, even without the other handicaps.
What country do you want to go to ? ... Wyoming
Hamei makes a good point, I would only add (at the risk of being obvious) that you can usually find out if you're overburdening your machine by running `top` in a terminal window. If it shows that the system memory is full and it's dumping tons of pages into and out of swap, then yeah, you're maxing it out...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

it seems to overload the cpu but it stay in the memory limits... the value is low to 86% when the eau is not run any action on it... but during mouse movents or dpaint fill gradient operation the cpu load is the same 95-96%
vishnu wrote: find out if you're overburdening your machine by running `top` in a terminal window.
If you'd like something that takes up less of your desktop, you might try gr_osview:
TechPubs wrote: Viewing System Resources

The View System Resources selection in the System Manager System Performance category launches the gr_osview application, a real-time, graphical display of how your system resources are being used. The resources displayed are CPU usage, memory, CPU wait time (if any), and key system and graphics activity.

Next to the header for each resource displayed is a key that tells you which color is being used for a particular portion of the resource. For example, the CPU Usage band displays idle CPU time in green, user time in blue, system time in red, and so on.

For further information, see the gr_osview command.
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... 620-PARENT

I have gr_osview set to open every time I log in - I leave running right below the Toolchest (re-sized to be the same width).
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I quickly found my best solution to my occasional Amiga software needs was just to go buy an Amiga. (So I have an Amiga 4000 in an Eagle A4001T chassis and an Amiga 3000.)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
emilen72 wrote: hi recondas, thanks for the welcome here...
[...]
in the meantime hi fix the trouble.... I discovered that the default installation of pango and fontconfig don't set all the sub option... I reinstalled the two packages with all the subs set on... and now e-uae starts...

That would be a bug in the Package dependencies. Someone should fix that...
I'm not very satisfied from performance of the emulator.

I suspect the JIT doesn't support MIPS, so Intel CPUs should have a much more efficient emulation.