Emulation

sdlmame 0.149 sent to /incoming. Need testers/feedback. - Page 2

diegel wrote: You find a lot of threads about beta testing a lack of response in this forum. I think we would have a lot more ported software if the participants of this forums would help or simply give any feedback.

that also depends on what's up for grabs. mame is something quite specific and surely not the typical sgi target.
as for some of the other threads, the 8th version of some minor lib might just not be so attractive especially if the previous ones worked fine.

either way if the package does conform to the nekoware guidelines and didn't show issues after some testing i see no reason not to declare it current. in doubt leave the previous version in place or move it somewhere else so no harm done. in fact imho nothing should be deleted. there's always the odd case where you need to go 2 versions back or something so for example an "archive" dir where all previous ones go would be a good idea i think
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: either way if the package does conform to the nekoware guidelines and didn't show issues after some testing i see no reason not to declare it current. in doubt leave the previous version in place or move it somewhere else so no harm done. in fact imho nothing should be deleted. there's always the odd case where you need to go 2 versions back or something so for example an "archive" dir where all previous ones go would be a good idea i think
There is an archive. Nothing is deleted but moved to obsolete/archive. I benefit from the archive by examining patches and release notes from earlier ports.There are some packages in current that are ported by just commenting every code out that doesn't compile wit mipspro. In these cases earlier ports were made much better.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
either way if the package does conform to the nekoware guidelines

See, that's the thing -- It was the first SW I U/L'd here, and it wasn't a .tardist, so I assumed it was just deleted when sent to /incomming (the intent wasn't to get it into the repository, but have it available for testing).

This was a complete MIPSpro/SGI port that probably took a good portion of two weeks. Unfortunately I no longer have any of this, as I deleted it after receiveing zero feedback on this... :roll: (and yes, I regret doing this).

The big issue is building MAME/MESS suite with MIPSpro takes over two days on a 2x600 Octane. If someone is going to work with this, they need access to a big Origin, etc. You can build Mozilla 6x over in the time it takes to build just the MAME portion alone under MIPSpro.
Axatax_ wrote: This was a complete MIPSpro/SGI port that probably took a good portion of two weeks. Unfortunately I no longer have any of this, as I deleted it

what a pity. you just threw away a 2 week's work? :shock:
r-a-c.de
what a pity. you just threw away a 2 week's work?

I sure did, and that was dumb... But I didn't get any feedback on this, up until two days ago (year and 1/2 after the first post)....

Well, I guess the binary has been found if anyone wants to play with it....

Sorry guys... :oops:
Axatax_ wrote:
I guess the binary has been found if anyone wants to play with it

wait wait, you had a complete working mame .149 or just the coleco mess binary that was found?
wait wait, you had a complete working mame .149 or just the coleco mess binary that was found?

The last MAME I sent to /incomming was the whole .149 shebang built under MIPSpro -- the Coleco target was a test build, but was obsoleted by the former. It was the most recent MAME archive available @ the time I built these packages.

I'm really sorry I didn't keep this now, but nobody responded within 1.5+ years, and I'm working almost exclusively with MPlayer now.

Sorry... :|
All good mate, hopefully neko can go digging some more and find the full shizm, he has proven to be quite the wizard at times! Eitherway its good for me because it gives me a reason to finally move my programming skill-set past the "hello world" level i've been stuck at (I doubt i'll get it working but baby steps...)

I will not rest until Street Fighter 3 is running on my SGI...
gijoe77 wrote: I will not rest until Street Fighter 3 is running on my SGI...

:D
r-a-c.de
gijoe77 wrote: All good mate, hopefully neko can go digging some more and find the full shizm

I think I found that file as well - moved it to ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/contrib/axatax
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I think I found that file too - moved it to ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/contrib/axatax

Thanks for pointing that out Pete! Twice... :mrgreen:

C'mon guys, read back a little bit, yes this thread is old but Pete posted on Sunday that he'd found the supposedly-lost-forever file... :evil:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Wow thanks Neko! I've been playing with this for the past two hours - alot of the games I tried basically run full speed on my Tezro once i did the "-video opengl" option!

unfortunately it seems to segmentation fault on neogeo and CPS1-3 games, not sure if there is something that can be done about that at this point...
vishnu wrote: C'mon guys, read back a little bit, yes this thread is old but Pete posted on Sunday that he'd found the supposedly-lost-forever file... :evil:

Hey vishnu,

There were two seperate files, the COLECO mess build that neko found sunday and the full MAME build neko found this morning
unfortunately it seems to segmentation fault on neogeo and CPS1-3 games, not sure if there is something that can be done about that at this point...

While this is a "complete" MAME, alot of the systems will segfault due to endinaness issues that need to be manually corrected on a case-by-case basis. This isn't something that compiler warnings/errors can alert you to - you have to test each machine individually. Flagging an SGI as big-endian is not sufficent in the context of the MAME/MESS source.
The reason those files were "missing" to begin with is that I never saw the original thread, and I simply moved the mysterious files out of /incoming (as they had no neko_ prefix) to my home directory until someone sent me an PM or something explaining what they were for. :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Axatax_ wrote:
While this is a "complete" MAME, alot of the systems will segfault due to endinaness issues that need to be manually corrected on a case-by-case basis. This isn't something that compiler warnings/errors can alert you to - you have to test each machine individually. Flagging an SGI as big-endian is not sufficent in the context of the MAME/MESS source.

out of pure curiosity, how does one do that specifically? I would love to learn more about the particular details since I am trying to tackle an older mame build at the moment with the hope of moving up to a more recent release in the near future
out of pure curiosity, how does one do that specifically? I would love to learn more about the particular details since I am trying to tackle an older mame build at the moment with the hope of moving up to a more recent release in the near future

Shoot me a PM -- I think we can make this happen.
I would also like to see this added to the nekoware collection. It's a great piece of software. So please don't give up on it.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
would also like to see this added to the Nekoware collection. It's a great piece of software. So please don't give up on it.

I haven't given up -- but I *really* want to get the Mplayer 1.1.1 out the door. I've promised this for like eight months. S*it -- I'd love to do a new XMAME/MESS package, and I'd also like to get an Ardour port out (and I actually have some semi-working code for the later, as well as Jack, if you don't care about VST plugins).

Sh*it -- maybe we sould make some kind of Nekoware crowd funding thing... I dunno. I'd quit my job in a heartbeat to hack away on IRIX stuff. How cool would an IRIX port of Snes9X be with gamepad support? Samus doing TAS runs on your Octane? << -- I think that would qualify as death and ascension to heaven. Just MHO. :evil:
I can pledge a few bucks! Let's get this rolling!