SGI: Hardware

The O2 Hardware Aggregator - Page 2

Is it possible to reset the PROM to defaults from the L1 console?
matt2079 wrote:
joerg wrote:
matt2079 wrote:
I'm using HyperTerminal on WinXP. Is it possible that's where the problem is? Should I try a different terminal emulator?

Hyperterm works fine for me and i use it since years. But if you have another system around test it.

regards
Joerg

I managed to get a connection to the L1 controller!

Now what do I need to check?

Try some simple commands like "env" or "version". Check the output. Getting output is the first good sign. Now if you know that you have a working cable connect it back to the console and see if you get anykind of output. Some times you have to press <enter> serveral times in your terminal.

regards
Joerg

Try some simple commands like "env" or "version". Check the output. Getting output is the first good sign. Now if you know that you have a working cable connect it back to the console and see if you get anykind of output. Some times you have to press <enter> serveral times in your terminal.

regards
Joerg

Thanks for the quick replies Joerg!

I was getting output from the L1 but couldn't find anything useful to me. I powered down and tried the same settings on the console with no results!

For the L1 I used 38400-8-N-1, no Flow Control. I tried the same settings on the console as well as 9600 and the different flow control options. I did all these test on one boot - should I be rebooting every time I try a new setting?

MAtt
Given the almost glacial speed and the fact that it is only an 8 pin DIP device, is it not possible to read the eeprom in-circuit? I don't have a programmer, but rigging a dip socket as an adapter should be a matter of minutes. Do you still have a working R5k CPU? If not, and you're willing to resort to non-destructive methods, I could send one over with my brother next month.
^ good news: added to the scsi tips