SGI: Hardware

More Dual Head Questions

Hi, have a Octane 300MHz with ESSI graphics. My question is can I combine this with a MXI option? I have a Cherokee PS. Thanks
Omega_Trion wrote: Hi, have a Octane 300MHz with ESSI graphics. My question is can I combine this with a MXI option? I have a Cherokee PS. Thanks

Not in the same machine. You can only have one double slot card per chassis. It has to be in the A/D side of the carrier or the machine will flat out tell you to put it on the other side. :D Cheers.
Patrick

- That's what she said -
What are the combinations that can be use for dual head?
I may have Octane 2 with V6 soon what would be my options with that?
Thanks Again.
The dual head options with the newer V6/8/12 graphics are limited. I think SGI specifically built a graphics option that occupies all the XIO slots for dual head. With the old boards, you can have:
SI SI
SSI SI
MXI SI
or the eqivalent with SE/SSE/MXE boards. Also, you can mix the SE and SI series.
I know that SGI doesn't support MXE+ SE with Tram, but has anyone here tried running with trams on both heads?

If yes, what additional cooling did you used to keep it cool.

It is winter where I am at the moment with temps around 7-10 degrees C at night and sometime my office with Octane going and no heater is warmer than my living room with a 2Kw heat pump going :-)
I tried running MXE and SI+TRAM and although everything booted up, there was horrible problems with texture rendering - seems Irix only likes TRAM on one head. Lots of stuff was broken, and didn't work at all... removing the TRAM from the SI card fixed it all.
huh, in irix 5.3 there was support for two heads of texture with VGXT.
This was with Irix 6.5.18f...

there was just a lot of things that didn't run. I don't think there is any particular reason (other than heat) to prevent it from working. But as a for instance, Mplayer did not want to run correctly before the second texture memory was removed - after that it did proper hardware scaling on the MXE, software on the SI, no problems at all.