SGI: Hardware

Can´t get IRIX 6.5.22 to install on Indigo R4400

I just tried the whole afternoon to install IRIX 6.5.22 on my Indigo R4400.

Before I installed IRIX on an O2 and it worked flawlessly. So I wanted to continue to my Indigo. But there it started with that the Indigo has a problem with my external CDROM (the id is wrong and every time at 1). So I tried another external CDROM and with this one the id was correct, I could repartition my harddrive.
Another problem is, that I can only start the installation when I first loaded sashARCS and fx.ARCS. If I don´t do this, ARCS cannot read from the CD.
If I then start the installation, ARCS copies the miniroot over (GUI) and then when it wants to copy over IP20 from the CD I get a read error, but the drive and CD work on the O2.

So what can I try to get it runnning?

Did anyone else also have such trouble getting IRIX on an Indigo R4400?
I'm not sure 6.5.22 is supported on the Indigo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
IRIX 6.5.22 supports all machines with R4000 or higher processors, except the Crimson.
Your CDROM drive needs the capability to switch to 512 byte sectors. What drive is it?
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
depending on what you wanna use 6.5.x doesn't make much sense on an indigo because whatever is available for 6.5.x only will likely not run very well there.
r-a-c.de
As I just have IRIX 6.5 it´s the only OS I can install at the moment, but wanted to try OpenBSD/NetBSD anyway.

AS for what I drive I´ve got, I need to have a look if it has the capability to switch to 512 bytes sectors.
FlasBurn wrote: wanted to try OpenBSD/NetBSD anyway.

oh that's not what i meant at all but an older irix version.
r-a-c.de
FlasBurn wrote: If I then start the installation, ARCS copies the miniroot over (GUI) and then when it wants to copy over IP20 from the CD I get a read error, but the drive and CD work on the O2.

I'm assuming you've used the internal CD-ROM on your O2. Perhaps the external CD-ROM or the SCSI cable has some problem. To avoid this, you could make your O2 act as an installation server. There's a good documentation how to do this in the wiki . Just change the 64-bit stuff to 32-bit stuff for your O2, e.g. fx.ARCS instead of fx.64 etc.
Perhaps this will help to avoid the read error on the Indigo.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.
I should give this a try for my other SGIs, but as the the Indigo has only AUI and I have no adapter, this won't work for me :-(
Indigo is one of the earlier ARCS boxes, pre-ARCS are really picky so it wouldn't surprise me if Indigo might be a bit pickier than later ARCS boxen such as your O2.

See if you can get your hands on a Plextor or Sun SL-CD. Those work nicely with SGIs. Toshibas can work also, but they seem to be more often broken for me (except for the 4101/SL-CD). I think I used a Plextor to install on my IP20.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I´m still looking for another CD-ROM drive, but have not found one so far. I also ordered an AUI adapter so that I can try to install IRIX over the network.