SGI: Hardware

No boot screen

I have a Indy and have no screen at booting , I see only the login Screen after a while. It is a security option ? or hardware issues ? Connect with SGI 19 CRT Monitor. Thank you
Is the PROM environment variable "console" set to "d" ? try setting it to "g":

Code: Select all

setenv console g

Under IRIX you can use the "nvram" tool:

nvram console g
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
i will try later
thank you for fast reply ..great forum here
tt0ny wrote: Connect with SGI 19 CRT Monitor.

Just a note, if you set console g then you must have a keyboard attached at the very least otherwise boot may fail.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
hmm i see i dont have a root pw to login. I try to boot from irix 5.3 CD to reset the root pw , but I cant mount the disk . mount /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0 /root (invalid argument, file system unknown ) , I read about serial console connection but i dont have a null modem cable for Indy . Do i have any chance to install this machine new ? PROM reset to factory default ? thank you
If you have Keyboard / Mouse / Monitor, then you don't need a serial at your stage.

tt0ny wrote: hmm i see i dont have a root pw to login. I try to boot from irix 5.3 CD to reset the root pw , but I cant mount the disk . mount /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0 /root (invalid argument, file system unknown ) , I read about serial console connection but i dont have a null modem cable for Indy . Do i have any chance to install this machine new ? PROM reset to factory default ? thank you

Yes, you can install IRIX on a burnt piece of toast if you put the effort in.. :shock:

You should carry out a resetenv [???? help.. can't recall] before you start the install.

Actually check Ian Maplesons site for good install guides.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
I have Keyboard and Mouse. How can I resetenv if i dont access per Terminal ? hotkeys ? boot from irix 5.3 CD was from the other machine. From Indy I cant boot from CD.
You said you have (after a while) a login screen on the CRT monitor?

Just log in as the 'root' user, and open a UNIX shell from the Toolchest menu.

Then, as Pontus said, type

nvram console g

at the command prompt.

Next time you reboot the system, the graphical splash screen should show.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
I dont have a root pw (machine from ebay, the seller cant help) i think connect per console cable is my last option right ? I dont understand why i cant mount the disk with irix 5.3 CD on the Indigo ? mount /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0 /root (invalid argument). I try mount -t efs ...mount -t xfs
but the same msg invalid argument. Where did it save the setenv information ? in the PROM ? is removing the DALLAS akku a option ?
IRIX 5.3 didn't come with support for XFS until very late. There was a CD for "IRIX 5.3 With XFS" but it doesn't sound like you have it.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
OK, not sure if this will work, but I have a vague recollection I have done it before:
Turn the INDIGO ON
When the Amber light changes from Orange to Green hit ESC a few times.
Press 5 (At this point you should be in the PROM
Type setenv console g
press return/enter
type boot
press return/enter

You will be doing this blind, but it may work.
I'll try it myself tomorrow and check if I have the commands correct. If it works, you should at least be able to dispense the need for a serial cable.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
is a good idea, but dont work for me. I just build a serial cable and i can fire setenv console g now.
BIG THANK to all here