SGI: Hardware

SGI PS2 keyboard question

I have a SGI indigo with it's proprietary keyboard and mouse, I really like the keyboard, but unfortunately it can only be used with my indigo. Was there a ps2 keyboard made with the same keys / shape? I would really like to be able to use such a keyboard on one of my other more capable machines.

The keyboard i'm talking about is like this one here :
http://davy.nyacom.net/machines/img/sgi ... ms_top.jpg
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro:
I don't know about the feel, but it certainly looks very much like the granite Indy keyboard (also used for the Indigo2 IIRC) and puck mouse, apart from the colour. I have one of those (and puck mouse) connected to my Octane at the moment and it's very nice with ALPS keyswitches. The model number for those are 9500900
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
As long as X can see it, you can use a program such as xkeycaps to map it any way you like. And xkeycaps runs nicely on just about every version of Irix ever... :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Did some quick digging (google is your friend).

First, I found http://hardware.majix.org/computers/sgi.pi/keyboard.shtml , which gives instructions for wiring an adaptor for the Indigo 1 keyboard to a Personal Iris 4D/25. Not a bad start, but the link for the converter for standard PS/2 keyboards (the wrong way, no less) was dead.

Then, I came across http://www.sgistuff.net/mirrors/4dfaq/ , which has some basic information about the 4D series machines, including keyboard pinouts and basic protocol information. Looks like it's a fairly straightforward 12v UART hookup. An Arduino, some 12v<->5v level converters (MAX232 or similar, maybe), and a bit of hacking, and you could be in business.

Hope this helps.
Duck is right, the Indy/Indigo2 'slab' keyboard is basically the same as the Indigo keyboard. To type on, that is, the internals are completely different. The Indigo2 'slab' keyboard exists in a beige version too, if that's important to you.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
nyef wrote: Did some quick digging (google is your friend).

First, I found http://hardware.majix.org/computers/sgi.pi/keyboard.shtml , which gives instructions for wiring an adaptor for the Indigo 1 keyboard to a Personal Iris 4D/25. Not a bad start, but the link for the converter for standard PS/2 keyboards (the wrong way, no less) was dead.

Then, I came across http://www.sgistuff.net/mirrors/4dfaq/ , which has some basic information about the 4D series machines, including keyboard pinouts and basic protocol information. Looks like it's a fairly straightforward 12v UART hookup. An Arduino, some 12v<->5v level converters (MAX232 or similar, maybe), and a bit of hacking, and you could be in business.

Hope this helps.

Yes, you could build a converter to go from an Indigo/Onyx1/Personal IRIS keyboard to a PS/2 (and thence USB should you need it), but if you have an extra Indigo keyboard you could also sell or trade it for much more than a PS/2 version of the SGI keyboard, which (in the large slab version) has almost identical characteristics. I'm a bit of a keyboard snob, and very much like the SGI granite big slab (along with the IBM Model M and the earlier Apple Extended keyboards). In short, I guess I'm saying don't spend the money to buy a reverse converter, as there are much cheaper ways to get the same effect.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
thank you all for the helpful information.

I'll keep an eye out for either the granite or the "indigo2 slab" keyboard. Id much rather get the slab. Is that what is pictured here along with this indigo 2 at auction? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141651640986?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

That looks to be exactly what I want, although I already just bought a indigo2 so I cant justify spending that just to get the keyboard.

I did read a little into making a converter to go from the proprietary connector to standard ps2. I actually just recently got an ardunio,I don't want to risk breaking the keyboard, it took a while to find and was expensive. I'm surprised I didn't burn up the indigo itself when i first got it. Figured it was just ps2, plugged in a nice DEC branded ps2 keyboard i used for everything, plugged it in, all the num lock lights glowed real bright and there was a burning smell. I figured out what i had done wrong, surprisingly once i got the proper keyboard the machine still works fine.

I'm a bit of a keyboard snob, and very much like the SGI granite big slab (along with the IBM Model M and the earlier Apple Extended keyboards).

I actually have a bunch of ibm model M keyboards here(found them at the scrapyard), I actually liked the keyboard for the indigo better. It's just as big but quite a bit quieter.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro:
MrBill wrote: I'll keep an eye out for either the granite or the "indigo2 slab" keyboard. Id much rather get the slab. Is that what is pictured here along with this indigo 2 at auction? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141651640986?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

looks that way. big, heavy and with a very audible click. i'd prefer granite though. beige tends to look pretty poor after all those years and does not really fit the sgi machines. or just get something dark and non-sgi with those kinds of caps. would also recommend to not use the sgi ball mouse and get a laser model with scrollwheel. that can be put to use in 6.5 and with the imwheel utility.
You can always grab one off Ian http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/kybdsmice.html

Older-type Granite PS2 SGI US Keyboard (good condition): 75 UKP (SGI PN 9500900)
Older-type Granite PS2 SGI US Keyboard (fair condition): 65 UKP (SGI PN 9500900)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
duck wrote: You can always grab one off Ian

75 what? The pricing is absurd.
:Octane2: :320:
Hey, thats what i paid for the propritary one for the indigo, but yeah, i could have had another indigo2 for that price.
nongrato wrote:
duck wrote: You can always grab one off Ian

75 what? The pricing is absurd.

Ian stores the parts in good condition, has most parts, knows what he's doing and provides excellent support and service. He's expensive, but for a reason.

The eBay types who expect to get near that for beat-up stuff that they don't know what it is and won't test - yeah, that's absurd.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I decided not to try and make any sort of adapter for my indigo keyboard and just bought a granite ps2 slab keyboard. Works great, exactly what i wanted. Space bar seems oddly yellow compared to the rest of the keys, but i don't imagine a beige one would have been in much better condition.
That always happens, the space bars are molded from different batches of plastic.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Yup, mine is pretty yellow too (and I have worn a super smooth groove where my left thumb usually sits)
While researching keyboards at deskthority.net, I learned that PBT was used for the key caps, while ABS was used for the space bar (for its greater toughness). ABS is the material for computer cases and suffers the most from bromine yellowing.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: