SGI: Hardware

usb audio

Risked $3 on a usb microphone - it reports itself as a Logitech and tested okay in Windows 2000 -

Code: Select all

Iris Audio Processor: version RAD revision 13.0, number 1
Iris Audio Processor: USB audio revision 1.0, number 0

However, haven't found a way to get anything out of it ... kind of a vain hope that whoever wrote the usb audio driver would make it bi-directional, eh ? It doesn't show up in any of the normal audio devices. If anyone has some suggestions I can fiddle around but at this point it doesn't look too useful. Adds another line to the hinv tho 8-)
Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.
Wasn't the "original" supported USB audio device the Griffin iMic? That thing should have had at least one input...
canavan wrote: Wasn't the "original" supported USB audio device the Griffin iMic? That thing should have had at least one input...

Is that the in-cable usb adapter thingy, with an in and an out ? Techpubs has a few shots of those but only with the output connected to speakers, nothing on the in :(

Luckily it was only a $3 experiment. And the thing works in windows, so maybe can use it for something.
Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.
I have one of those Griffin's (in+out), might give it a try someday...
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
kubatyszko wrote: I have one of those Griffin's (in+out), might give it a try someday...

I tried some laptop usb audio thingy, it worked okay for output. Didn't sound half bad, I was surprised.

The nice thing about that is if you are not using the usb ports for keyboard and mouse, then you save a slot for gigglebit network and firewire and sata and serial ports for the spaceball and tablet. The fool is a little bit tight on expandability ...
I just remembered that I also had a USB audio device, a SoundBlaster something (sb0270). When both analog and digital ports are on, IRIX complains that uaudio_init_channels() Could not get MIN/MAX/CUR/RES value for control 0x02 on channel 1 - usberr 0x625f0016, and apanel complains that there's "no audio driver at all", but it's still listed in hinv. With just the digital ports enabled, there are no complaints when booting or plugging the thing in, and apanel just shows a single output device.
So I tried my Griffin iMic with no luck - it does show up in hint but doesn't work:

Iris Audio Processor: USB audio revision 1.0, number -1
USB controller: type OHCI

On the console I get:

Soundscheme: Ignoring invalid device DefaultOut

And nothing shows up in audio panel either.

That's all for today - won't be spending more time on that, time to insert my sound blaster back.
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
kubatyszko wrote: So I tried my Griffin iMic with no luck - it does show up in hint but doesn't work

Several years ago I was able to get a Griffin iMic working with an Onyx 300 - though I don't recall using it for anything other than basic audio out.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
kubatyszko wrote: So I tried my Griffin iMic with no luck - it does show up in hint but doesn't work

Iris Audio Processor: USB audio revision 1.0, number -1
USB controller: type OHCI

The -1 indicates this is probably just the ioconfig thing. Delete /etc/ioconfog.conf and reboot and it should work. You have to diddle around with the audio panel a bit as well, iirc.

recondas wrote: Several years ago I was able to get a Griffin iMic working with an Onyx 300 - though I don't recall using it for anything other than basic audio out.

I've tried several generic el-cheapo usb sound devices, they have all worked. I think it's the chip that counts, somewhat like the firewire card situation. Forget what chip is required but it seems to be a cheap common one.

None of them did audio in though :(

Maybe someone would rather work on this instead of reinventing the wheel ? No ?
I don't think any specific chip is required. IRIX should support "any" USB audio class device, i.e. "generic" audio devices that doesn't require specific drivers to run.

http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs
canavan wrote: IRIX should support "any" USB audio class device, i.e. "generic" audio devices that doesn't require specific drivers to run.

That's how firewire is supposed to work, too, but ..... :(
I seem to remember a similar problem with an iMic on my Fuel. I gave up and put the M-Audio board in.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...