SGI: Hardware

3D Printed Indigo2 Feet

Recently acquired and Indigo2 workstation, but didn't have the foot stands. Since I had access to a 3D printer, I tried modeling one from an the actual foot that I borrowed from a friend.

After a quite a few iterations, it finally worked out.

Model files have been uploaded on Thingiverse.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:246137

The printing bed on the 3D printer was the limiting faction on the width of the foot, its slightly smaller. Also, to save on filament, I lowered the height of the foot where the base touches the workstation. The longer slotted side of the foot sticks out a bit. This was done to make the part a little stronger. Now thinking about it, I probably could have made it flush without it becoming weaker.

Thought I share this.

Might start thinking about other items that could be printed :)

Here's some photos:

Deluxe! :mrgreen:

What did you model it with? Here's what it looks like in TurboCAD:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Okay, this is really nice, great work.
:Onyx2:
I used Maya to model the feet, since it was what I had access to at the time.
That's awesome, looks good! Thanks for sharing the model through Thingiverse.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
is that made of PLA or ABS?
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Its made from PLA.

Printed at 0.2mm layer height with 10% infill. Its pretty solid and weighs around 150 grams.
pure curiosity, how much does it cost in material only to print that? Assuming you get only one shot at this.
Just double checked the estimate on the low profile model. Its 183 grams.

It typically costs around $40 for 1Kg of PLA filament. (I'm sure it can be cheaper, just haven't looked) So its around 4 cents a gram.
At 183 grams its around $7 for each foot.
which printer did you use? this looks like a serious great job.
I used an Ultimaker 1 and it took around 8 hours :)
ooh terrific and thanks for sharing! this adds some great perspectives to spare part hunting :D
This is really cool, thanks for sharing.
:Octane: R12K 300 MHz, 1 GB RAM, SE+T
:Indigo2IMP: R10K 195MHz, 320MB RAM, Solid Impact
:O2: R10K 175MHz, 256MB RAM, CRM
:Indy: R4400 200MHz, 256MB RAM, XZ
Nice job. I like the color.
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
thegoldbug wrote: Nice job. I like the color.

Actually I was wondering about that, did you have that color on had or did you have to order it? We only ever use beige and black on our Stratasys at work...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...