SGI: Hardware

Shortly to be the proud owner of a Fuel - Page 2

ClassicHasClass wrote:
there are two meeses. 2/3/mouse appears to be the one actually in use; if I remove it, the mouse is not detected. However, even if I remove 2/4/1/mouse, it just comes back. I might need to fiddle with the KVM's mouse emulation to figure out why that is. In general the KVM just works (it still emits usb_hid_reattach errors to the console when I switch away, but unlike the Command Monitor, it redetects it fine when I switch back), *except* in this one case: if I log out as any user other than root. Then the mouse stops working and I have to restart the system. The keyboard works fine, but the mouse stops functioning. However, switching focus is fine, and it doesn't seem to happen if I log out if I was logged in as root. I wonder if there's a permissions problem somewhere, and I don't know if it has anything to do with "the two meeses."
Think it could be realted to the Aten KVM being set in USB Hub emulation mode?

When the Fuel was connected to the iogear model 1764 KVM (which doesn't offer USB hub emulation) I never experienced extraneous mice entries in ioconfig or usb_hid reattach errors.

Don't currently have a Fuel set up to allow additional testing, but do have a Tezro and Onyx350 sharing dual monitors and a USB keyboard and mouse via a Gefen 2x2 DVI DL Switcher/KVM. The The Tezro and O350 are same IP35 hardware family as the Fuel; all three share the similarity of having PS/2 and USB ports. The Gefen 2x2 KVM also doesn't offer USB hub emulation, and there there haven't been any usb_hid reattach errors or extraneous mice with either the Tezro or Onyx 350:
Code:
3 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/11/pci-x/0/1a/scsi_ctlr/0
4 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/11/pci-x/0/1b/scsi_ctlr/0
5 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/11/pci-x/1/2a/scsi_ctlr/0
6 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/11/pci-x/1/2b/scsi_ctlr/0
3 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/15/pci-x/0/1/tty/1
4 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/15/pci-x/0/1/tty/2
1 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/15/pci-x/0/2/ppb_16/2/mad_subsys
7 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/15/pci-x/1/2/ohci/0/scsi_ctlr/0
0 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/15/pci-x/1/3a/usb/3/1/mouse
0 /hw/module/001c01/IXbrick/xtalk/15/pci-x/1/3a/usb/3/3/keyboard
Could (or have) you tried the Aten KVM without USB Hub emulation enabled?

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I'll try that after I upgrade it. I don't remember if it's turned on or not.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 2GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
The Fuel is (finally) set up with 6.5.20. ...

Quick note - if you want to minimise noise, I strongly recommend the Fujistu MAS3367NC + adapter (or native NP 68pin). One of the quietest
drives I've tested so far, and also the 2nd fastest for access time (only beaten by the MAX3036NC, which makes fractionally more noise).

The MAS3367NC is easily the best disk for O2.

Congrats on getting a Fuel! 8)

Ian.

It's a Fujitsu something or other in there, but it's not very loud. (Then again it sits between an MDD G4 and a quad G5, two machines not noted for their silent operation, so I could be just ignorant. :lol: )

Up to 6.5.22 and after a bit of headscratching on apparently circular Nekoware dependencies, just threw them all together in a dist directory and let swmgr sort it out. Gonna get Firefox 3.0.19 working on it next. I still need to fiddle with the mouse emulation on the KVM.

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
The mouse emulation issue suddenly isn't a problem anymore. Maybe 6.5.22 fixed it? Maybe I had some gnarly weed?

My RAM still hasn't arrived, but the M-Audio 7.1 card did, so I stuck it in one of the 33MHz slots and it works nicely (scaring the cat playing DOOM at top volume). The FireWire card arrived as well, but the Fuel hardware aggregator says it has to be the red board Adaptec and this one is green, but it's OHCI so shouldn't it just work? Is there any point at all to FW if you're not running 6.5.27? I haven't bothered to install it yet.

Hopefully the RAM gets here this weekend (2GB).

ClassicHasClass wrote:
The FireWire card arrived as well, but the Fuel hardware aggregator says it has to be the red board Adaptec and this one is green, but it's OHCI so shouldn't it just work? Is there any point at all to FW if you're not running 6.5.27? I haven't bothered to install it yet.

I have a blue Adaptec that works ... and a red no-name that works, too. The important thing appears to be the chip - *must* be a TI. Maybe the green Adaptecs used the NEC chip ?

Firewire did work before 6.5.27 - Neko got an external hard disk to run, other people did as well, but it was not easy. If you look back on nekochan there are threads with hinv outputs, conflicting firewire device outputs (I forget which applet one runs to check the firewire bus), lots of helpful advice on mounting a disk, &c &c.

Post-27, it was simple. Probably more robust as well but I did not have any failures with it at 25 or so. (Sorry, can't remember exactly which level.)

I found the firewire very useful at the time for standalone but if you have other means of backup and network storage, and now that SATA is available, it's not such a big deal ... I use firewire now for reading memory cards. It's great for that, even faster than USB on Windows, but in your case, with 600 computers in the room, maybe not such a big selling point ?

As far as I know, no one ever made the 'supported' video input work. Neko got it to display a single frame upside-down once and that's about it. There's a project for your spare time :D

Eventually, you are going to want to go to 30. It is better, just do it carefully so you don't lose the good stuff.

Oh. If you do play with firewire, beware. Do not try hot-plugging, unplugging. You can get away with it about once out of every three tries. The other two times it will crash the computer, guaranteed. They never got that to work right.

I'm used to FireWire on my Power Macs where I can sling hard disks, system backups over HD Target Mode, DV/HDV and webcams, so fighting with non-hotpluggable iffy mass storage and no video doesn't sound too gratifying. :| That said, I might as well install it and see if it's recognized, since all of my Macs that need it either have a PCI card already or built-in FW. The card doesn't need drivers for Mac OS, so I'm sure it would work in Irix.

ClassicHasClass wrote:
I'm used to FireWire on my Power Macs where I can sling hard disks, system backups over HD Target Mode, DV/HDV and webcams, so fighting with non-hotpluggable iffy mass storage and no video doesn't sound too gratifying.

To be fair, the firewire hard disk never gave me any trouble whatsoever. It was mostly the initial figuring-out period that was shaky.

There is support in Irix for HFS (?) so it's perhaps possible to use an Apple-formatted disk via firewire ? That might be interesting to play with for youse Apple guys.

Sata is so much easier to deal with that interest in firewire disks disappeared when we discovered the LSI adapter cards. But it might still be useful to you.

People were succesful with firewire CD-ROMS as well. And I still use mine for reading CF and SD cards. No one tried a DVD-Writer, as far as I know. CDRTools works with a scsi-ide adapter to write dvd's, so maybe the firewire would also. I tried a SATA DVD-writer without success, but that was quite a while ago. Things may have improved there.

The part you might like to experiment with is the video. Supposedly Irix supports IIDC video input through firewire. The Apple firewire webcam does not work. I got a Texas Instruments firewire webcam that is seen but doesn't work. The Canopus ADVC cards are supposed to work, but I've never heard of anyone who made it happen. They should - they are "supported" after all, maybe a support contract with SGI would be worthwhile :)

Interesting. I have two IIDC cams here, an iSight (which I believe makes Irix crash, according to the aggregator), and an Orange Micro iBOT. The iBOT is different enough that I might give it a shot. That RAM better arrive today.

I have a Canopus ADVC-300 here too. Is that what you mean by "card"? It's an external FireWire device. I have ADS Pyro A/Vs coming out my ears, but I see Neko tried and failed with those.

More importantly, do these all work with 6.5.22?

I also have a line on a 700MHz R16K card, but the seller wants a lot of money for an untested item and I'm kind of worried about putting it in my only Fuel.

hamei wrote:
The part you might like to experiment with is the video. Supposedly Irix supports IIDC video input through firewire. The Apple firewire webcam does not work. I got a Texas Instruments firewire webcam that is seen but doesn't work. The Canopus ADVC cards are supposed to work, but I've never heard of anyone who made it happen. They should - they are "supported" after all, maybe a support contract with SGI would be worthwhile :)
ClassicHasClass wrote:
I have two IIDC cams here, an iSight (which I believe makes Irix crash, according to the aggregator), and an Orange Micro iBOT. The iBOT is different enough that I might give it a shot......I have a Canopus ADVC-300 here too. Is that what you mean by "card"? It's an external FireWire device. I have ADS Pyro A/Vs coming out my ears, but I see Neko tried and failed with those.

Firewire video won't use any of the classic IRIX video tools (e.g. Media Recorder and videod, et al) that you may have experienced on your Indy. Instead FW video use DM10 specific ML video libraries - which aren't included with a default install of the DM10 software package.

After you install the DM10 software package (see below for more on that subject), the DM10, IIDC and AV/C man pages will give you a better idea of which protocols are supported, the software tools provided, and some (basic) hints are to how they're used. Don't mean to bury you in tech notes, but they give the best clues as to what's need to get all the software bits you'll need to get FW video working. None of the DM10 related man pages are available through TechPubs, so I've quoted them here:
Code:
% man dm10

dm10(7)                                                                dm10(7)

NAME
dm10, - DMediapro(tm) DM10

DESCRIPTION
The DMediapro(tm) DM10 product is a PCI-based IEEE-1394 (FireWire) option
card for Silicon Graphics systems.

Supported Systems
The DMediapro(tm) DM10 is supported on the following systems:

o Silicon Graphics Fuel
o Silicon Graphics Tezro
o Silicon Graphics O2
o Silicon Graphics Octane/Octane2
o Onyx 350 InfiniteReality
o Onyx 350 InfinitePerformance
o Onyx 4 UltimateVision

Supported Protocols
The DMediapro(tm) DM10 supports the following protocols:

o libfw (userspace FireWire interface library)
o IIDC
o AV/C
o SBP2

Supported Devices
While any device compliant with the above protocols should work, the
DMediapro(tm) DM10 has been tested by SGI with the following devices:

IIDC
o Kritter Digital Camera
o PointGrey Firefly2

AV/C
o Canopus ADVC-100

SBP2
o LaCie D2
o Maxtor OneTouch
o Enclosures using Oxford 911 Chipsets
o Enclosures using Oxford 912 Chipsets (with 9p to 6p cable)

NOTES
The IIDC and AV/C protocols requires that the ML software subsystems be
installed for proper operation.

See the DM10 libfw manpage for libfw programming information.

See the DM10 IIDC manpage for DM control parameters.

See the DM10 AV/C manpage for DM control parameters.

See the dksc manpage for SBP2 mount points.

FILES
/usr/share/src/dmedia/firewire/*
Example source code for programming libfw.

/usr/share/src/dmedia/video/iidc/*
Example source code for programming IIDC.

/usr/share/src/dmedia/video/avc/*
Example source code for programming AV/C.

SEE ALSO
DMediaPro DM10 Release Notes, fwprobe(1)
Code:
% man IIDC

iidc(7)                                                                iidc(7)

NAME
iidc - DMediapro(tm) DM10 IIDC Protocol

DESCRIPTION
The DMediapro(tm) DM10 IIDC Protocol is a method for controlling and
transferring data from IIDC video devices.

This protocol allows real-time input of a wide array of video formats.

The DM10 IIDC Video Protocol Option requires that the ML software
subsystems be installed for proper operation.

Supported Video Formats
The IIDC Protocol supports video formats defined by the 1394 Trade
Organization. These formats include support for:

o 160x120, 320x240, 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, and 1600x1200
video formats

o 1.875, 3.75, 7.5, 15, 30, and 60 Hz vertical rates

o 4 x 3 aspect ratio

Supported Video Component Sampling
4:1:1, 4:2:2, and 4:4:4 modes are supported.

Color Representations
The IIDC Protocol uses three components with eight bits of precision at
all steps of its internal pipeline.

Control Parameters
IIDC specific control parameters are identified in ml_iidc.h which is
included with the IIDC subsystem.  Other controls can be found through
standard ML methods, or by using mlquery as:

mlquery -d <iidc device> -v all

FILES
/usr/share/src/dmedia/video/iidc/*
Example source code for programming IIDC.

SEE ALSO
DMediaPro DM10 Release Notes
Code:
% man AVC

avc(7)                                                                  avc(7)

NAME
avc - DMediapro(tm) DM10 AV/C Protocol

DESCRIPTION
The DMediapro(tm) DM10 AV/C Protocol is a method for controlling and
transferring data to and from AV/C video devices.

This protocol allows real-time output and input to and from of a wide
array of video formats.

The DM10 AV/C Video Protocol Option requires that the ML software
subsystems be installed for proper operation.

Supported Video Formats
The AV/C Protocol supports video formats defined by the 1394 Trade
Organization. These formats include support for:

o (NTSC) 720x480 @ 30fps, (PAL) 720 x 576 @ 25fps video formats

o DVC and DVCPRO Compression

o Audio support for 48kHz (16-bit) or 32KHz (12-bit)

Supported Video Component Sampling
4:1:1 mode (DVC standard) is supported.

Color Representations
The AV/C Protocol uses three components with eight bits of precision at
all steps of its internal pipeline.

Control Parameters
AV/C specific control parameters are identified in ml_avc.h which is
included with the AV/C subsystem.  Other controls can be found through
standard ML methods, or by using mlquery as:

mlquery -d <avc device> -v all

FILES
/usr/share/src/dmedia/video/avc/*
Example source code for programming AV/C.

SEE ALSO
DMediaPro DM10 Release Notes

As mentioned earlier, if you do a "Default Installation" of the DM10 software package, you *won't* get the IIDC and AV/C software . To get around that select the "Custom Installation ..." tab, open the drop arrows next each of the DM10 selections and manually select ALL of the subsystems, including/especially the DM10 Dev stuff.
Attachment:
DM10_Install.jpg
DM10_Install.jpg [ 97.55 KiB | Viewed 78 times ]
That sould give you the IIDC and AV/C source code samples nekonoko mentioned using ( read down starting here . The acv_vidtogfx or iidc_vidtogfx executables sound like a reasonable place to start testing your FW cameras. To do much more than that, or take advantage of the avc_vidtomemory/iidc_vidtomemory program stubs you'll likely have to code your own app.
Attachment:
fw_video_source_code.jpg
fw_video_source_code.jpg [ 132.65 KiB | Viewed 78 times ]

ClassicHasClass wrote:
More importantly, do these all work with 6.5.22?
There weren't any release notes included with the DM10 1.1 package , but the release notes for the previous version (DM10 1.0.1) mention:
Code:
2.2  Prerequisites

o The DM10 1.0.1 system software requires Irix 6.5.21 or
greater.

o On Irix 6.5.21, patchSG0005442 is required and it is
also recommended to use patchSG0005243 and
patchSG0005226.

o On Irix 6.5.22, patchSG0005442 is required and it is
also recommended to use patchSG0005409.

o On Irix 6.5.23, no patches are required.
There are some notes on installing the DM10 software in this post .

If you have the chance to try it out please let us know what you discover.

I installed the green-board Adaptec FW card (it's an Agere controller, apparently) and I'm grabbing the patches and DM10 tardist. I'll report back.

EDIT: Hmm, my Supportfolio credentials seem to be gone.

Okay, I give up with Supportfolio; it's not letting me get those patches for some reason. Is there any reason I shouldn't install 6.5.26 then? Someone mentioned Adobe, but as long as I still have (or can get) Acrobat after the update, I don't care. I did get those CDs. I should be able to install DM10 1.1 with that, I assume.

ClassicHasClass wrote:
... it's an Agere controller, apparently...

Don't mean to discourage you but every card I've tried with a TI chip has worked.

No one has ever made the Agere or the NEC chip work, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
I have a Canopus ADVC-300 here too. Is that what you mean by "card"? It's an external FireWire device.

Inside the box, it's a pci card :D Okay, the 300 I don't know but the 50, the 55, and the 100 were all just pci cards in a box. There's also an older "advc1394" card I keep meaning to try but never get around to it. It has a TI chip. Pretty sure that all of them do.

The 300 just appears like a video device to the Mac, though it does have an optional picture quality control panel.

Rather irksome that a bog-standard OHCI FW card that even works with Mac OS 9 without drivers won't work in Irix.

ClassicHasClass wrote:
It seems like if I want FireWire at all, though, I'm moving to 6.5.26 because I can't get those patches from Supportfolio. Should I?

If you overlay, may as well go to 30. The patches were kind of flaky anyhow, as I remember.

Quote:
The 300 just appears like a video device to the Mac, though it does have an optional picture quality control panel.

And the RAD audio just appears automagically in an O300 if you stick one in. I don't think a Mac would ever recognize or work with RAD audio, hmm ? :D

Quote:
Rather irksome that a bog-standard OHCI FW card that even works with Mac OS 9 without drivers won't work in Irix.

Irksome that a bog-standard V12 won't work in Windows, either. Oh well :D

If you want firewire, you have to use TI. That's easy.

Adaptec apparently released a number of PCI firewire boards, including several different variants using the 4300 moniker. If a photo might help narrow the Adaptec end of the search, this AFW-4300B worked for me:
Attachment:
File comment: Adaptec AFW-4300B - front and rear views.
AFW-4300B.jpg
AFW-4300B.jpg [ 216.19 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]
Though, like hamei, every FW board with a TI chip set that I've run across has also worked.

Well, the confusing part is that the Adaptec I bought (as NOS) has the red card on the box, but the green card inside. I really can't blame the seller as the box was sealed. I'll give it to one of the Macs, I guess, it was only $9. I'll just have to look for a used part.

Speaking of, managed to land an 030-1981-001 700MHz R16K card after negotiating down the price. It's untested, but it was a working pull, at least. There isn't any PROM limitation on what CPU board can be installed, is there? (I know with other models like the Indy there is, but I can't find anything about that for the Fuel.) The swap doesn't look like a difficult install assuming the connector isn't mashed.

Okay, so. I got a red TI-chipped Adaptec 4300B and I'm going to install 6.5.26 probably tomorrow. I might try the Agere again unless everyone is absolutely adamant it won't work.

But before that, I went ahead and got the new CPU installed. Irix hinv recognizes it as an R16K with 4MB, as expected. However, I'm a little nervous about doing the L1 flash step, since I don't think I'll be able to reinstall the old 600MHz R14K card afterwards, correct? Anything wrong with just leaving it as a "600MHz R16K" so that I have a spare CPU card, or is it not worth it (I assume they don't fail very often, but ... )?

Playing with some demos, just going R14K to R16K was enough to get a noticible bump in frame rates even without setting the MHz up.

ClassicHasClass wrote:
However, I'm a little nervous about doing the L1 flash step, since I don't think I'll be able to reinstall the old 600MHz R14K card afterwards, correct? Anything wrong with just leaving it as a "600MHz R16K" so that I have a spare CPU card, or is it not worth it (I assume they don't fail very often, but ... )?

I don't think I've ever heard of one failing. I'm sure one must have, somewhere, sometime ... but people have been hit on the head by meteorites, too. 600 to 700 is more than ten percent upspeed, nothing to sneeze at when you are running a slow cpu.