SGI: Hardware

SATA in O2 with ARS-2160H - Page 2

I've got a QLA2342 in my O2 . That's a dual 2Gb/s FC card capable of close to 400MB/s throughput (with a suitable array attached). First of all, the 64bit, 33MHz PCI bus of the O2 limits this to ~ 200MB/s. But real (diskperf) numbers are well below that, IIRC 60-70MB/s.

There's also an LVD version of the Adaptec 2940UW, the AHA-2940U2/U2W. I've had one of those in another (195Mhz R10K) O2 at some point. Requires a bit of PCI id hacking in the driver (similar to using an Adaptec 3940 ), but will provide similar performance.

I think the CPU speed doesn't even matter in the end, ultimately the O2's unified memory architecture 'bus' is where the limitation is.

Winnili wrote:
How easy and practical, or even possible, would it be to add an Ultra-3/Ultra160 HBA inside the O2 and to which degree would the O2's overall bandwidth deal with it acceptably? And which of which, if any, work inside the O2?

Ultra-3 is LVD. Roughly speaking, SE SCSI (what the O2 has) requires 16 data lines plus ground, and LVD requires 16 differential pairs. So, this would require a redesign of the O2 mainboard and backplane. If you're going to do this, would you please raise the performance limitations of the chipset and allow for faster CPUs' and more RAM while you're at it? :mrgreen:

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
I've got a QLA2342 in my O2 . That's a dual 2Gb/s FC card capable of close to 400MB/s throughput (with a suitable array attached). First of all, the 64bit, 33MHz PCI bus of the O2 limits this to ~ 200MB/s. But real (diskperf) numbers are well below that, IIRC 60-70MB/s.

I'm aware of PCI bus, its functioning, variations and speeds.

Quote:
Ultra-3 is LVD. Roughly speaking, SE SCSI (what the O2 has) requires 16 data lines plus ground, and LVD requires 16 differential pairs.

Yes, I'm aware...

Quote:
So, this would require a redesign of the O2 mainboard and backplane. If you're going to do this, would you please raise the performance limitations of the chipset and allow for faster CPUs' and more RAM while you're at it? :mrgreen:

I meant more by adding some type of PCI bus expansion card (and naturally saturating the bus speed in the process).

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
Winnili wrote:
I meant more by adding some type of PCI bus expansion card.

A suitable 2Gbit FC card like the QL2342 with a small enclosure for 1 or 2 disks is probably the easiest solution because it requires no hacking. It is a fully supported way to attach a disk system capable of transfer speeds the O2 will never be able to utilize 8-) . But you won't be able to boot from it because the O2's PROM can only boot from an Adaptec 2940.

If you want something bootable, and you were able to hack the PCI ID of an AHA-2940 into a 2940U2/U2W you might be able to boot from an (external) SSD-with-ARS-2160H and get the combination of the lower access times of the SSD, and the higher transfer speeds that the 2940U2/U2W is capable of.

Anything beyond that mostly depends on your ability to write drivers for it. That, and it has to support 5V PCI I/O of course.

Personally, I think it's all a bit of a waste of energy. Even an entry level Octane (or even an R10K Indigo2 IMHO) is a snappier, more responsive system than the O2. I'd like to get my hands on one of those GIO64 FC cards, see how far you can push an Indigo2 :)

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
I'd like to get my hands on one of those GIO64 FC cards, see how far you can push an Indigo2 :)

That sounds interesting. Do you have more information about them? I haven't heard of that until now, except (the somewhat related) FDDI.

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
I know that Ciprico made GIO64 ultra-scsi cards. did they also make fibre channel HBAs?

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
It has been awhile but I did get IRIX installed. Unfortunately, I only got discs that get me to .9 so I either need to find someone locally to help image my original SCSI drive or get the overlays that I need. This is the point where I kick myself in the a** for selling my modest collection thinking I was done. Either way I will run diskperf this week so you all can make fun of me for blowing my wad on barely a modest gain. ;)

I'm probably missing something, but a free Supportfolio account should still let you download the 6.5.22 overlays right to the O2, and I believe they should work fine with 6.5.9 - and don't forget to apply patch 5086 before the .22 overlay.

Code:
1.  Patch_SG0005086_Release_Note

This release note describes patch SG0005086 to IRIX
6.5/6.5SE and 6.5.1 to 6.5.20 inclusive.

This patch contains the IRIX 6.5.21 versions of the
installation tools inst, swmgr, showfiles and showprods.
Therefore, IRIX 6.5.21 itself will replace this patch.

If you are using the "live installation" method to upgrade
from any 6.5-based release prior to 6.5.21 to another from
6.5.21 onwards, you must first install this patch to enable
inst to handle certain additions to the format of the
distribution images.  If you have 6.5.21 installed on your
system, the required changes are already contained in inst.
Alternatively, a "miniroot install" will allow you to
install versions from 6.5.21 onwards without any patching.
You should be sure to use the miniroot contained in the
distribution to which you are upgrading.

I'm probably missing something, but a free Supportfolio account should still let you download the 6.5.22 overlays right to the O2, and I believe they should work fine with 6.5.9 - and don't forget to apply patch 5086 before the .22 overlay.

Thanks SMJ. It has been so long I hadn't even thought about that. I should have posted this when I meant to a month or more ago. I will get to updating asap. :roll: