SGI: Hardware

Mopar5150's Onyx 300 Preview

The onyx 300 is getting data pulled off of it as we speak and I can have it this friday. It was a graphics generator for one of the simulators here at my work and has been replaced by a rack of PCs. I provided a R10k O2 and a bunch of free labor in exchange for the 300. It looks to have 8 video out ports. I did find all of the doors and covers yesterday. Here are some poor phone photos....
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2+: :Fuel: :O3x0: :A350: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo:
mopar5150 wrote: I provided a R10k O2 and a bunch of free labor in exchange for the 300.

That had to hurt ;)

Looks like two full graphics pipes with six raster/texture boards. So basically you have two complete InfiniteReality Graphics systems shared by the same O300 processor complex. You're gonna need a couple of 220V outlets.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
mopar5150 wrote: I provided a R10k O2 and a bunch of free labor in exchange for the 300.

That had to hurt ;)

Looks like two full graphics pipes with six raster/texture boards. So basically you have two complete InfiniteReality Graphics systems shared by the same O300 processor complex. Your gonna need a couple of 220V outlets.

Power I have, knowledge not so much. I wanted this machine to learn with instead of the Onyx rack. There are a lot more parts for this machine floating around ebay. I will post a hinv as soon as they let me touch it.

Thanks for the reroute of my thread hijack.

mopar5150 wrote: Power I have, knowledge not so much. I wanted this machine to learn with instead of the Onyx rack. There are a lot more parts for this machine floating around ebay.
On the very slim chance you haven't already found it, the SGI Onyx 300 Graphics System User's Guide makes a handy bookmark.
mopar5150 wrote: I will post a hinv as soon as they let me touch it.
If they'll let you take another reasonably close look, you can get an idea of which InfiniteReality board sets are in it. Each of the boards in the graphics brick will have a descriptive label (along the bottom edge of the board).

mopar5150 wrote: Thanks for the reroute of my thread hijack.
Least I could do - especially since I encouraged it. :D
mopar5150 wrote: The onyx 300 is getting data pulled off of it as we speak and I can have it this friday.

Jesus, Mopar. You traded an O2 for this ? Wanna go to Vegas with me ?

This may qualify as trade-of-the-year ! :D
hamei wrote:
mopar5150 wrote: The onyx 300 is getting data pulled off of it as we speak and I can have it this friday.

Jesus, Mopar. You traded an O2 for this ? Wanna go to Vegas with me ?

This may qualify as trade-of-the-year ! :D

The O2 they needed for some software that links SGIs to the platform controller and for a dedicated compiler. But I also gave about 40 hours of free labor and I need to get this machine moved from a server room to my truck on my own. But, I am highly motivated! :D

mopar5150 wrote: I need to get this machine moved from a server room to my truck on my own. But, I am highly motivated! :D

There's been a couple of discussions on loading, moving and unloading assembled rack systems in pickup trucks (without the use of a loading dock) . Fairly easy if you have a helper, doable solo if you're reasonably strong and carefully think things out.

Unless there's something that got left out of the photos of your Onyx 300 rack, it looks like the Power Bay is there solely to provide 48VDC power to your .5A max L2 Controller. That's a little on the overkill side if you consider SGI recommended a Power Bay config with a minimum of two power modules, which are rated at 1000w each at 220V.

The L2 Controller uses 48VDC connected via a 50-pin D-shell connector. If you prefer you can power the L2 with a palm-sized wall-wart style external power brick. SGI supplied some systems with their own version, but those are almost impossible to come by. The alternative is to splice the 48-pin connector onto a suitable 48VDC power brick. If that ends up under consideration, jan-jaap might still have the necessary 50-pin connector bits available - his post also has a link to how the connector is wired: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16724207&p=7344195&#p7344195
Augh I think i just hurt my neck trying to look at the images provided! (j/k)

BTW nice setup ^^
MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB
recondas wrote: If they'll let you take another reasonably close look, you can get an idea of which InfiniteReality board sets are in it. Each of the boards in the graphics brick will have a descriptive label (along the bottom edge of the board).

I took a closer look at the machine and starting from the left are.

GE16
RM10-256
RM10-256
DG5-2
KTOWN2
GE16
RM10-256
RM10-256
RM10-256
RM10-256
DG5-8

The computers look the same but the one on top says "Origin 300" and the other is blank.

I'll say, that's a pretty good start ;)
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.