SGI: Hardware

Installing & booting IRIX from Compact Flash (CF-IDE-SCSI)

Using a Compact Flash card adapted to IDE adapted to 50-pin SCSI for installing and booting IRIX on an older IRIS (PI or Indigo).
I notice the classic Mac enthusiasts are trying this: here and here .
Anyone tried it? Any technical reasons it wouldn't work with IRIX?

I know the classic Mac OS is a lot smaller, a lot less demanding, and a lot more forgiving than IRIX.
Image Image
SleepyRegions wrote: a Compact Flash card adapted to IDE adapted to 50-pin SCS
Never tried it - but if you'd like to try it minus an adapter or two, I have a five-slot SMC PCD-60B card reader with a no-adapter-needed SCSI interface that'll read Compact Flash, SD/MMC, Smart Media xD and PCMCIA cards that I'd swap for some other interesting bit of hardware.

I originally picked up the SCSI card reader so I could access CF camera cards from within IRIX, but ended up using a firewire card readers instead.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Hmm I think your best bet would be the ACARD SCSI to IDE bridge, then a CF to IDE, one the IDE side of the ACARD
Got this working on an Apple 6100/66 , so it should, without a doubt work on a SGI indigo , or Indy
MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB
Ryan Fox wrote: Hmm I think your best bet would be the ACARD SCSI to IDE bridge, then a CF to IDE, one the IDE side of the ACARD
Got this working on an Apple 6100/66 , so it should, without a doubt work on a SGI indigo , or Indy

Does anyone know a cheap source of these ACARD SCSI to IDE/SATA bridges? Because the one that would be best for an SSD drive in the Indigo, the ARS-2000SUP , would cost me as much as I payed for my Fuel.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image
I never found a 'cheap' source, just a reputable seller I trusted to get me the items I wanted reliably (Active Network Systems Ltd, www.ans-ltd.co.uk
call 01480 437997 in the UK): ARS-2160H SCSI/SATA U160 bridge box (SCA) and the 68pin equivalent (ARS-2160). The SCA version I use for
performance testing in various systems while the 68pin version is destined for my Fuel with a 128GB OCZ Vertex2E SSD.

Actually I thought the pricing was quite reasonable overall, 108 + 5 shipping for the 68pin model, 99 + 5 shipping for the SCA (+VAT in each case).

Ian.
(07/Mar/2015) FREE! (collection only) 16x Sagitta 12-bay dual-channel U160 SCSI JBOD units.
Email, phone or PM for details, or see my forum post .
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
SleepyRegions wrote: Using a Compact Flash card adapted to IDE adapted to 50-pin SCSI for installing and booting IRIX on an older IRIS (PI or Indigo).
I notice the classic Mac enthusiasts are trying this: here and here .
Anyone tried it? Any technical reasons it wouldn't work with IRIX?

I know the classic Mac OS is a lot smaller, a lot less demanding, and a lot more forgiving than IRIX.

I tried it on an Indy.
Yahma SCSI to IDE that I got from hamei.
Then and an IDE to CF converter, IRIX didnt like my CF converter so didn't work, never tried with another IDE-CF converter, it worked on a PC and the SCSI to IDE converter worked just fine with a real harddrive.

In the end I settled for a quiet IDE hard drive in the Indy and did not bother with the CF card.

//Harry
Mein Führer, I can walk!
Not trying to install and boot IRIX yet, just trying to mount dos(fat)-format flash cards from cameras with an SCM PCD-50B reader in Indigo2. How to mount them ? Can mediad mount them automatically ?
:Indigo2IMP: extreme :Octane2: V8 :O200: :Onyx2: IR2e
silicium wrote: Can mediad mount them automatically ?
I use Compact Flash media for the same purpose, but connect via Firewire. Compact Flash cards connected to a Firewire controller aren't auto-mounted by mediad.

With IRIX 6.5(.30) I use:

Code: Select all

# mount -t dos -o partition=1 /hw/path-to-your-controller-and CFmedia /your/chosen/mountpoint
to mount the CF card.

As long as there aren't any other DOS file systems mounted, you can use

# umount -t dos
to unmount and extract your CF card.

BTW - DOS/FAT partitions are limited to a max size of 2GB under IRIX.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Thanks for the 'partition=1' option. But using cards with scsi reader is not desktop friendly since mediad from 6.5.22 is unusable

cat /etc/config/mediad.config
monitor device /dev/scsi/sc0d4l0 inschk 20 rmvchk 20
mount filesystem /dev/dsk/dks0d4vol dos directory /cf options partition=1

It complains
couldn't find DSO for device at SCSI ctlr 0, id 4
:Indigo2IMP: extreme :Octane2: V8 :O200: :Onyx2: IR2e
GL1zdA wrote: Does anyone know a cheap source of these ACARD SCSI to IDE/SATA bridges? Because the one that would be best for an SSD drive in the Indigo, the ARS-2000SUP , would cost me as much as I payed for my Fuel.

I too have been looking at the ARS-2000SUP for an Indy, but the $250- price tag + $X- for a hard disk is quite prohibitive.

If you don't mind using IDE, the ACARD 7720U does show up on Ebay from time to time. Ian has a writeup about installing one in an Indy . I've also tried the Yamaha V769970 in the Indy and was able to install IRIX onto the drive. I don't remember why I didn't keep that setup, aside from it not really fitting inside the chassis in any sensible way.

I wonder if the Yamaha could be connected to the SCSI ribbon cable and the other end of the adapter attached to an IDE extension cable which would then connect to the hard drive? In an Indy, that would theoretically allow you to bunch the Adapter and wires above the IDE drive which could then live in an regular drive sled instead of floating loose in the chassis.
zafunk wrote:
GL1zdA wrote: Does anyone know a cheap source of these ACARD SCSI to IDE/SATA bridges? Because the one that would be best for an SSD drive in the Indigo, the ARS-2000SUP , would cost me as much as I payed for my Fuel.

I too have been looking at the ARS-2000SUP for an Indy, but the $250- price tag + $X- for a hard disk is quite prohibitive.

If you don't mind using IDE, the ACARD 7720U does show up on Ebay from time to time. Ian has a writeup about installing one in an Indy .

I decided to get a SCA drive and a SCA->SCSI Ultra converter. Unfortunately a simple 80->50 won't fit physically into the drive sleds in the Indigo, I will have to try a SCA->68/50 converter, which has the 50 pin connector a bit higher.

zafunk wrote: I've also tried the Yamaha V769970 in the Indy and was able to install IRIX onto the drive. I don't remember why I didn't keep that setup, aside from it not really fitting inside the chassis in any sensible way.

I've seen that one, and it's designed for a 5.25 bay, so it's not very useful for me.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image
GL1zdA wrote: I've seen that one, and it's designed for a 5.25 bay, so it's not very useful for me.

Unfortunately, so is the 7720U. Acard did make adapters that fit underneath the drive (ARS-2000FW), but they no longer seem to be in production.

I did find a website that sells them, but goodness knows if they have any in stock. Again, $150 is still a bit steep.

I may end up buying a Yamaha adapter and trying the extension cables in my Indy. I don't know if you could do the same in an Indigo - stuff the adapter in a second drive bay and run extensions between the two?
zafunk wrote:
GL1zdA wrote: I've seen that one, and it's designed for a 5.25 bay, so it's not very useful for me.

Unfortunately, so is the 7720U. Acard did make adapters that fit underneath the drive (ARS-2000FW), but they no longer seem to be in production.

I used one of those over 10 years ago in an Indigo2, it did work extremely well. There's a little writeup on it in the blog from 2002: http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archives ... g-the.html and http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archives ... -gear.html

One of the first arrivals was the ACARD ARS-2000FU Ultra SCSI-IDE bridge I mentioned last month. I have to say the bridge has been everything I hoped for; extremely easy to install and use. It's amazing how much storage capacity this gives you for such little cash and the performance is wonderful. I can't say enough good things about these ... in fact, I'm going to buy a couple more of them very soon (one for the Indigo(1) and another for the second bay in the Indigo2). After setting the SCSI ID on the bridge and connecting everything up it was a simple matter to clone my existing system drive over. I used the "Cloning A Root Disk" section of Ian Mapleson's Disk and File System Administration guide, opting for the xfsdump/xfsrestore method outlined in that document.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Folks - remember that IDE SSDs _do_ exist, and are fairly cheap, etc.

So instead of SCSI -> IDE -> CF, you can just simplify SCSI -> IDE, and I suspect with a lot fewer compatibility issues.
For the OP, there's this:

http://www.artmix.com/j_home.html

SCSI to CF. Aimed at the Macintosh and NeXT crowd. He has both 2.5" adapters for laptops and 3.5" ones for desktops. Don't know if they'd work in an SGI.