SGI: Hardware

DUAL Vpro graphics in my new octane, locked and clean. - Page 3

There are 4 possible ways to install two VPros in an XIO carrier. The fastfan logic doesn't know that they are wide cards, it only knows which XIO slot they connect to. Starting in the upper left and reading clockwise, they are QA, QB, QC, and QD: it's a card connected to QC that activates fastfan. So when the bottom card is facing one way it will be recognized in slot QD; in the other direction it is in slot QC and turns on fastfan.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Yep, fastfan is why my Octane's C slot will forever remain empty... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Yep, fastfan is why my Octane's C slot will forever remain empty... :roll:

Well no wonder you're not fussed about the noise yours makes :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Based on robespierre's (fellow bostonian) comment:

". So when the bottom card is facing one way it will be recognized in slot QD; in the other direction it is in slot QC and turns on fastfan."

I reversed (turned it 180degrees) the bottom Vpro as I slid it in (no jokes on that ;) And no more fast fan! Two vpro6's in a single CPU Octane2 are now working! The Compression connector is plugged into the connector nearest the PSU now (QD I assume).

I did not realize XIO cards can be reversed (technically upside-down).. very interesting tidbit.

I am not sure why the older green-skin Octanes that I have do not work with dual vpro but an Octane2 does? I'm not going to stress about it anymore though.

Thanks robespierre and everyone else who replied and helped me get through this!
I've been lucky on that one !! I just screwed everything together haphazardously without even thinking twice about it and I landed on the no fast-fan config... 8-)
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Whew, I was worried that I had lost my mind! ;-)
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
Just culled the herd.
I don't think that just any XIO card can be installed reversed; the design of the Octane quad XIO bay is that the original (MGRAS) carrier frame can have XIO cards installed on it in four positions, two on each side. So the XIO connectors are reflected on the left side vis a vis the right. In that setup, any single-slot XIO card is recognized in the same slot as its position in the carrier frame (which is labeled A through D on the actuator). The double-slot cards like MXI have their XIO connector on the right, so they appear in either QA or QC (the latter forcing fastfan).
VPro have double-slot cards that are fat instead of wide, so they can be installed in more different ways: by turning the card 180° it moves its connector from one slot to the mirror-image beside it. This is only true for VPro cards in a VPro carrier.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: