SGI: Hardware

O300 drive sleds

No O300 hardware aggregator yet ...

For those with O300-compatible cases, I tried an Intel drive sled from an M15 SCSI array. It almost fits stock. Actually the sled fits but the latching mechanism is a touch too bulky. With a little bit of file work it goes in nicely and latches fine. There's a plastic do-jigger that sticks out the back side that needs to be trimmed off, too. $3 and away we go :D

I also pulled the little sca adapter card off the back of the drives box and used a spare 68 pin drive for boot and a sata drive for data. Made up a new slightly longer scsi cable, bought a longish sata cable. Works okay.

Now just needs some quieter fans. Jeesh. If the Atom would run Irix ....
hamei wrote: I tried an Intel drive sled from an M15 SCSI array. It almost fits stock. I also pulled the little sca adapter card off the back of the drives box and used a spare 68 pin drive for boot and a sata drive for data.
Nicely done. Photos would be helpful, especially of the drive sleds, since they aren't always listed by what they originally came out of.

hamei wrote: Now just needs some quieter fans.
Looks like jj's got the quiet 0300 covered: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16718040&
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
hamei wrote: Now just needs some quieter fans.
Looks like jj's got the quiet 0300 covered: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16718040&

Two things:
* Change all of them. It is a pain to take the PSU apart, but if you don't you might as well forget about it entirely.
* The fan I used has been discontinued. There's the S-FLEX SFF80D (2,800 rpm) but at 32dB it louder than the NMB Minebea I used (28dB), and I believe the bearing had a shorter MTBF as well.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote: * The fan I used has been discontinued. There's the S-FLEX SFF80D (2,800 rpm) but at 32dB it louder than the NMB Minebea I used (28dB), and I believe the bearing had a shorter MTBF as well.

Thanks, J. I notice there's an 80 mm fan from Akane that has good specs - even better than the one you used, if you can trust specs.

Now all I have to do is find some .... :(