SGI: Hardware

dead O200 - Page 2

Indyboy wrote: Is it possible effectively to kill the machine with interchanging the parts?
Yes it is. I own a set of memory for O2 that kills every O2 mainboard for example. I also had a Cisco chassis that kills memory of a second route processor.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
As you have read from this old thread, yes, you can kill O200's easily. O200 PIMM-modules and MB are connected in the sense that the MB needs to know the base clockspeed of the PIMM-module, which you need to flash by hand while the system is still running with the original CPU-MB combination. If you exchange PIMM modules without updating the clockspeed info on the MB, you risk bricking it.

Oh, and steer clear of R12K 270MHz, these are particularly problematic.

BTW: thread necro
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
dexter1 wrote: Oh, and steer clear of R12K 270MHz, these are particularly problematic.

Care to elaborate? I have one of those but it never gave me any grief. (Well, the noise level could be called problematic, but I only use it as an install server).
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Well it was the other half of my quad R12K270MHz O200 which decided to say goodnight in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16720497&p=7296192&hilit=O200#p7296192

I had no quarrels with the quad R10K 180MHz and 225MHZ systems, although i am still trying to revive the systems after 5 years. One of my 225's came up today with a memory fault in slot 1 so that should be fixable, and the single R10K 180MHz actually still works fine.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
dexter1 wrote: As you have read from this old thread, yes, you can kill O200's easily. O200 PIMM-modules and MB are connected in the sense that the MB needs to know the base clockspeed of the PIMM-module, which you need to flash by hand while the system is still running with the original CPU-MB combination. If you exchange PIMM modules without updating the clockspeed info on the MB, you risk bricking it.

Oh, and steer clear of R12K 270MHz, these are particularly problematic.

BTW: thread necro

Even when the clockspeed is the same and the difference is just the number of CPUs on the PIMM?
:O200: :Indigo: :O2: :Indigo2IMP:
Indyboy wrote: Even when the clockspeed is the same and the difference is just the number of CPUs on the PIMM?

Yes, because you need to flash four parameters: clock speed, bus speed, SN0 and cache size. If you make only one mistake out of four, chances are that the system will not boot up.