SGI: Hardware

Altix 350 Value.

Greetings to all.

As per my last post about Numalink, I'm considering to purchase a pair of SGI Altix's.

Here's the specs to the best of my knowledge:

- Yellow/Black front panels
- Dual Itanium2 1ghz Processors (**not** Itanium 1's)
- 2GB RAM per node
- One node has the Base Compute I/O module, DVD Drive, and 2x36GB disks
- One node has no DVD drive, and 1x36GB disks (along with a spare caddy?)
- Both have the redundant PS's.
- Both are in the SGI boxes (!!!), apparently "Used for a day in a lab". No rails included.
- 2x Numalink cables included.

What would these guys be worth these days? They're in mint condition, and both working.

I intend on running Linux on these bad boys, along with Xen ( apparently Suse supports Xen/Itanium now...).

-DN
I've got butterfingers!
ask yourself one simple question .... whydo you want it?

If you want to run Linux you can get far better supported boxes far cheaper.
If it is a nice shiny thing on ebay ;) and you just want it then fine..
:ChallengeL: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :O2000R: :O2000R: :O2000E: :O2000E: :Onyx2R: :O3000: :0300: :0300: :0300: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Fuel:
they're reliable, server class hardware. if you're looking for something reliable, it's worth about as much as any other server class hardware that fits the bill.

if you're looking for bang/buck, you're looking at something that does 8Gflops. that's about it. get a quad core 2 for about $400 or so, and you're much better off, even for virtualization stuff. slap in a SATA drive for each virtual server. that said, SCSI handles multiprocess loads better.