SGI: Hardware

USB Keyboard / Mouse / resolution Problems (fuel)

Hi all.

I'm trying to get my USB mouse and keyboard running in IRIX under my fuel. Plugged both in, booted up, and in the console, wich comes on boot up, i could move the mouse and type letters with my keyboard.
But if IRIX is up, i wont be able to use one of both. They're doing nothing.

Before i got the mouse connected with a PS/2 adapter. And i got a Keyboard with a native PS/2 interface on it. But that doesn't work that good. The native PS/2 is one with german keyboard layout, but i hate it for work with UNIX, so i configured it with US layout, but my backslash and so the pipe won't work, what is essential on UNIX (well, at least the pipe).
So i'd like to hook up the USB Keyboard to my fuel (which has native US layout), but as mentioned above - it doesn't work.

Anyone knows what to do here?

Another issue is that i can't configure the display resolutions higher then 1600x1024 (got a V10 in it). If i'd like to change the resolution to something >1600x1024, i get the question, if i'd like to make it the default for power on, which i answer with yes. Then there's an error-message, saying "illegal power-on configuration.

The thing is, before i made a complete reinstall on a new disk, there was a IRIX installed, on which i could make resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 without a problem (well - the problem was eye-killing 60hz on a CRT, but it worked).

Can anybody tell me how to fix this?

Another thing: I've read on the forums with the gigabit cards for the fuel. Nekonoko was explaining about how to get the hp NC7770 card to work on the fuel. He said that the driver has to be modified.

What i understood, was that i need to make an octal dump of the driver:

Code: Select all

od -x <driverfile>

And then change line # to <something>

Well, that should not be a problem, but i don't know with which tool i should make this?

THX for your help.

greetz
MrWeedster wrote: But if IRIX is up, i wont be able to use one of both. They're doing nothing.

I used an USB keyboard (IBM Preferred USB) on my fuel without problems. You might have to edit /etc/ioconfig.conf to change the priorities of the ps/2 and usb input devices, see the usbinput manpage.
Another issue is that i can't configure the display resolutions higher then 1600x1024 (got a V10 in it). If i'd like to change the resolution to something >1600x1024, i get the question, if i'd like to make it the default for power on, which i answer with yes. Then there's an error-message, saying "illegal power-on configuration.

1600x1200 and higher is only supported at 8 bytes/pixel framebuffer size on the 32MB cards. You'll have to first change the framebuffer depth from 16 to 8 bytes in xetmon (or with -d8 if you're using command line setmon) before you can change the resolution in a second step.
Well, that should not be a problem, but i don't know with which tool i should make this?

with the hex editor of your choice :-)
schleusel wrote: I used an USB keyboard (IBM Preferred USB) on my fuel without problems. You might have to edit /etc/ioconfig.conf to change the priorities of the ps/2 and usb input devices, see the usbinput manpage.

worked like a charm.

1600x1200 and higher is only supported at 8 bytes/pixel framebuffer size on the 32MB cards. You'll have to first change the framebuffer depth from 16 to 8 bytes in xetmon (or with -d8 if you're using command line setmon) before you can change the resolution in a second step.

Ok i tried that. First i tried setting the color-depth to 8 bytes and then did a reboot. After the reboot it was again 16 bytes. Tried to change that again in xsetmon and then the resolution without reboot - "Illegal power-on configuration". So, no success.

with the hex editor of your choice :-)

THX

greetz
MrWeedster wrote: Ok i tried that. First i tried setting the color-depth to 8 bytes and then did a reboot. After the reboot it was again 16 bytes. Tried to change that again in xsetmon and then the resolution without reboot - "Illegal power-on configuration". So, no success.

hmm, are you sure you really applied the setting? Notice the separate load button for the framebuffer depth field - its a little unintuitive.
And no need to restart anything in between. Choose the framebuffer depth, click the load button of that field, choose the resolution, click the load button of the resolution field..
schleusel wrote:
MrWeedster wrote: Ok i tried that. First i tried setting the color-depth to 8 bytes and then did a reboot. After the reboot it was again 16 bytes. Tried to change that again in xsetmon and then the resolution without reboot - "Illegal power-on configuration". So, no success.

hmm, are you sure you really applied the setting? Notice the separate load button for the framebuffer depth field - its a little unintuitive.
And no need to restart anything in between. Choose the framebuffer depth, click the load button of that field, choose the resolution, click the load button of the resolution field..

aaah - ok. I thought i should apply with the load button on top, where you change the resolutions...

really ugly to drive 1920x1200 with 60hz. But i think there wouldnt be any chance to get it up to 85hz in that resolution?

And another question: On boot up i get a message in the console, that some firmware is too old, but its gone too fast (because X is starting).
Is there some tool like dmesg, where i can see the boot-up messages?
(btw, is there some sort of command line reference, where all possible commands are listed, and what they do?)

THX & greetz
schleusel wrote: I used an USB keyboard (IBM Preferred USB) on my fuel without problems. You might have to edit /etc/ioconfig.conf to change the priorities of the ps/2 and usb input devices, see the usbinput manpage.

Ah, another great tip - I'd tried a USB keyboard/mouse in the past but when they didn't work under IRIX I just assumed that support was incomplete. I now have an Apple Mighty Mouse and Pro Keyboard up and running. Thanks!
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Ah, another great tip - I'd tried a USB keyboard/mouse in the past but when they didn't work under IRIX I just assumed that support was incomplete.

I'm anxious to see if a Microsoft Intelimouse will also work. I'm currently using one through a USB->PS2 adapter. Any time I tried directly through the USB port, it didn't work.
zafunk wrote:
nekonoko wrote: Ah, another great tip - I'd tried a USB keyboard/mouse in the past but when they didn't work under IRIX I just assumed that support was incomplete.

I'm anxious to see if a Microsoft Intelimouse will also work. I'm currently using one through a USB->PS2 adapter. Any time I tried directly through the USB port, it didn't work.

I just tried mine and it works via USB here (Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer USB).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Well, it would seem that I'm having issues with my USB InteliMouse. Last night, I got an error allong the lines of:

WARNING: disabling mouse after 5 consecutive errors

This is the same mouse I was using through a PS2 adapter without any issues. Strange :?

**Edit**

If I unplug and re-attach the mouse, I get:

NOTICE: usb_hid_attach() reattach of device on bus 0xa8000000016be4c0 path 1
WARNING: default_ms_setting():  could not set mouse idle interval to 0 - iface 0xa80000000097ce10 - usb err code 0x625f0016
WARNING: usb_pckm - cannot create device alias for /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/1/mouse - device id not set yet

Any ideas?
Okay, I've tried editing ioconfig.conf, I've rebooted, I've read both man pages and I don't see anything there about changing priorities. My default file ioconfig.conf settings are

1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/4/ecpp
2 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/2/ohci/0/scsi_ctlr/0
1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/3a/emu_subsys
1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/4/keyboard
1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/4/mouse
3 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/14/pci/1/scsi_ctlr/0
0 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/2/1/keyboard
0 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/2/4/mouse
2 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/1/1/keyboard
2 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/1/4/mouse

---- What column and number do I need to change ? Thanks.
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
After switching back and forth between PS/2 and USB mouse/keyboard on my O350, my ioconfig.conf was kind of cluttered. When I decided to limit the directly connected kb&m to USB stuff I wanted to clean the file up. Rather than edit I just started from scratch.
    Rename or delete ioconfig.conf <to play it safe I renamed my original to ioconfig.conf.O>
    Power down.
    Connect the keyboard/mouse you want to use.
    Reboot - if it doesn't do what you want reinstate the original file.

If you just need to cleanup ioconfig.conf <and the system functions with the keyboard and mouse you intend to use>, no reboot is necessary.
    Make a back up copy of ioconfig.conf.
    Open the original and delete *all* of the keyboard and mouse entries; then close the file.
    As root execute:

# /sbin/ioconfig -f /hw
    - for confirmation you can check /dev/input* directories and/or re-examine ioconfig.conf

In my case the USB kb&m are still connected but are currently in the back of the rack <for the odd admin task> because I'm using an IBM M2 via Synergy.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
deleting ioconfig has never, ever done me wrong, and it's my first step when debugging any kind of input issue anymore.

the only mouse I've had not work so far is a Logitech notebook mouse which is recognized but gets the polling issues spit out on console, jerks around, and is worthless.

Keyboards are 100% for me, even one on a composite keyboard/mouse receiver.
Well, I've borked my Fuel and can't log in now since neither keyboard+mouse setup is recognized (PS/2 or USB). When the option to enter Maintenance shows up on the boot screen I have about 5 seconds of time when the mouse is/was recognized but seemingly never the keyboard. Now IRIX boots up to the login screen but since the keyboard is not recognized I'm not able to log in. I just changed from a fixed IP address to DHCP on Friday so I'll have to find the IP address and try and log in remotely so I can delete the ioconfig.conf file.

It's been a crummy x-mas break so far concerning hardware. I downloaded the MS Studio 2010 beta 2 to my primary Win XP machine and I've had a number of oddities and lockups. I also got around to installing an IOGEAR 4 port DVI KVM and it was generally working fine with this Sun Blade 2000, my Win XP desktop and hopefully with my Fuel. Playing with the scan mode on the KVM seems to have disconnected my mouse and keyboard from my Win XP machine although I'm using it to post this message. I guess XP hung again so maybe I should think about unistalling Studio. Studio must have installed 20 programs and required a reboot so who knows if I can unwind the problem(s).
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
If you don't know the IP address it might be simpler to log in via a serial terminal.

You could just restore the copy you made of ioconfig.conf, but I think I'd also save a copy of the newly generated one <that didn't work> to see what entries were made. Then reboot with the keyboard and mouse that were attached originally. I'd also suggest leaving the serial terminal attached during that reboot - the Fuel may be different, but I get diagnostic output on the console port my O3x0 systems even when a keyboard and mouse are attached and the system is booting in graphical mode.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
thegoldbug wrote: My default file ioconfig.conf settings are

1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/4/ecpp
2 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/2/ohci/0/scsi_ctlr/0
1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/3a/emu_subsys
1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/4/keyboard
1 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/4/mouse
3 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/14/pci/1/scsi_ctlr/0
0 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/2/1/keyboard
0 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/2/4/mouse
2 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/1/1/keyboard
2 /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/15/pci/5/usb/1/4/mouse

---- What column and number do I need to change ? Thanks.

It's the number on the left. 0 is first, 1 second, and so on. Deleting ioconfig.conf does work good. I've had better success using a PS/2 keyboard AND mouse when things go south. Seems the Fuel is a little dumb, mixing ps/2 and usb isn't as reliable when things go bad. Otherwise it works okay (at least for me.)

If you didn't use dhcp you could just rlogin, rename ioconfig.conf and reboot. Stupid dhcp, I hate it :)