Nekochan Net

Progress bars?

I just noticed the 'progress bars' by our names, telling how complete we are on our journey for more posts (the "Genius" level seems to be where complete is at.

Cool effect, nice job, looks awesome, etc. :D
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo
hey, I'm getting closer with each post :)
Nekochan.net -- where Linux is a four letter word.
roosmcd wrote: hey, I'm getting closer with each post :)

You have much to learn in the power of the post my Padawan...

:lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"
Sorry but am I the only one who thinks these post bars and titles are a bad idea?

I have seen many boards/forums that have ratings/titles/progress information for users and all they ever achieve is an increase in spam and pointless threads. I like the fact that there is a low amount of useless posts on nekochan and the Mods do a fantastic job at stopping cross posting and suspect threads from staying up too long.

But surely the introduction of these progress bars are just going to tempt people into posting for the sake of their profiles numbers.

There was a forum I used to visit a while back that had a massive problem with spam replies of nothing other than emoicons or quoting the above poster without adding anything. The fixed the problem by removing post counts and post level titles.

As usual its Nekos board and he can run it how he wants but do any these 'ohh my post count is higher' features of the phpBB really contribute to the usage of the board? The current back log of posts serve as an awesome collection of information for visitors.

Meh, just my oppinion 8)
The IQ of your average nekochanner is higher than that of you usual bulletin board user. It probably is a bad idea, yet I don't think we'll have many pointless post-count boosting posts.

Oh, and 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Mare wrote: Sorry but am I the only one who thinks these post bars and titles are a bad idea?

I have seen many boards/forums that have ratings/titles/progress information for users and all they ever achieve is an increase in spam and pointless threads. I like the fact that there is a low amount of useless posts on nekochan and the Mods do a fantastic job at stopping cross posting and suspect threads from staying up too long.

But surely the introduction of these progress bars are just going to tempt people into posting for the sake of their profiles numbers.

There was a forum I used to visit a while back that had a massive problem with spam replies of nothing other than emoicons or quoting the above poster without adding anything. The fixed the problem by removing post counts and post level titles.

As usual its Nekos board and he can run it how he wants but do any these 'ohh my post count is higher' features of the phpBB really contribute to the usage of the board? The current back log of posts serve as an awesome collection of information for visitors.

Meh, just my oppinion 8)

I have to say I agree.... but of course I don't run the site, so just take it as my two cents worth. I do love the site overall!!!

-chris
Eh, I think it's fairly harmless and it might even encourage some lurkers to answer questions and spread some more knowledge around. Nekochan isn't a big forum by any measure and I don't think it generally attracts those who would simply spam forums with emoticons to increase a post count, but if that does wind up happening then I'll of course revisit it.

We've had forum ranks pretty much since day one and it's gone well so far :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
To be honest, i don't see any harm in the progress bars. The information was already there previously with the rank name assignments and the amounts of posts. And at 300 everybody is capped to "complete".

(got a shiny star! w00t!)
huh... new phpBB gadgetry? funny stuff...
dexter1 wrote: And at 300 everybody is capped to "complete".

So how can 90 posts be equal to 52% if 100% is 300 posts?
rob wrote:
dexter1 wrote: And at 300 everybody is capped to "complete".

So how can 90 posts be equal to 52% if 100% is 300 posts?

The algorithm has been donated from Microsoft. It is the old file copy/delete progress bar :lol:

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
There is no algorithm - it's just a stock JPEG that's assigned to a rank. We had six existing ranks so I assigned one image to each rank. I could have used stars or chips or something else (you can download these packs from phpBB's site) but the "progress" bars looked nicer.

Apprentice: 0
Journeyman: 31
Member: 50
SGI Guru: 100
Über Geek: 200
Genius: 300
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I actually like the 'new' look, but since I'm pretty much starting out here. I will be posting a number of pointless post (I'll try to keep them in the Other, and Anime sections) and hopefully no where else.
Yeah I dont think we'll see any significant trouble from the titles/meters.

This site probably has the lowest flame/spam/pointless thread content of any computer-themed board on the internet.

We really have a good community.
:idea: