Nekochan Net

Captcha

I think we might need captcha or something like that if we are going to get spam and other crap.
We've always gotten some spammers, but usually we nuke them pretty quickly, including the knucklehead a few minutes ago.
Aww, it was you that killed him off. Good. Just hope we dont get anymore.
Gray Fox wrote:
Just hope we dont get anymore.

Um, this is the internet .
There's already a captcha. However, that's not going to stop actual people who are being paid to log on to sites and leave spam. The only way to deal with that is how we've been doing it the past seven years - delete the posts and ban the user.

All Rights Reserved.
I'm now trying out the new captcha options in 3.0.6 -- a question/answer captcha rather than distorted text.

Hopefully targeted questions such as "Name the operating system used by SGI's MIPS-based computers" and "What does the "S" in SGI stand for" will be easy for legitimate users (potentially much easier than straining with a hard-to-see text captcha) while obscure enough to discourage the cell phone/shoe/handbag salesmen.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
I'm now trying out the new captcha options in 3.0.6 -- a question/answer captcha rather than distorted text.

Hopefully targeted questions such as "Name the operating system used by SGI's MIPS-based computers" and "What does the "S" in SGI stand for" will be easy for legitimate users (potentially much easier than straining with a hard-to-see text captcha) while obscure enough to discourage the cell phone/shoe/handbag salesmen.

Can I "Like" this as I "Like" it on facebook? :lol:
nekonoko wrote:

Good idea. I've always hated those distorted-letter captchas and having Irix-based questions, kewl :D
nekonoko wrote:

Hmm, don't underestimate these guys - who knows, they might be able to google ;)

It's been working remarkably well too; we're still getting plenty of new users and the spam accounts have dropped off significantly. I'd have to talk with the moderators, but I don't think I've seen any for the past month.

All Rights Reserved.
I haven't seen any spam recently either - the IRIX 'entrance exam' was a pretty slick idea.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
nice, gotta try that out.
how many questions are there?

All Rights Reserved.
Well it worked for a while. Got a bit of a deluge of spammers the past couple days so I'll try rotating the questions to something else.

Edit: I put some "Jeopardy" style SGI machine-name questions in there :)

All Rights Reserved.
Thanks Neko,

Though i limit my moderation to the actual SGI subforum, i haven't come accross nasty stuff in the last few months.

Maybe we should communicate who is checking out what, so that we can spread the moderation much more evenly. Ofcourse if one sees a violation you don't have to wait for another moderator or admin to remove it if you can do it yourself.

dexter1 wrote:
Maybe we should communicate who is checking out what, so that we can spread the moderation much more evenly. Ofcourse if one sees a violation you don't have to wait for another moderator or admin to remove it if you can do it yourself.

I usually read (or at least skim through) every new post, haven't seen any spam lately :)
dexter1 wrote:
i haven't come accross nasty stuff in the last few months.

I think recondas has been grabbing most of them - he's quick ;)

All Rights Reserved.