IBM

Thinking of grabbing a POWER server - Page 3

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a production run of anything 9000-related. I got my HIL converter from another hobbyist, it's a third-party item, and I'm pretty sure it was manufactured in the mid- to late '90s, when those machines might still have been out in the field somewhere. You'd be better off either trying to find another hobbyist with a spare or trying to hack something up with an Arduino or something than waiting for anybody to do a production run of the things.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
The chances of getting an Arduino to do anything at wire speed are... remote.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Kira wrote: You could always get a zx2000 or zx6000 - they're pretty fast (by Old RISC Crap standards) and have good OS support.

Be advised, zx6000's are pretty loud.

Wait, what? My zx6000 is a *lot* quiter than my x86 peecee home server. Granted, I don't push it very hard. If it weren't for the 3 SCSI disks, I doubt it'd be noticeable at all.
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
Alver wrote: Wait, what? My zx6000 is a *lot* quiter than my x86 peecee home server. Granted, I don't push it very hard. If it weren't for the 3 SCSI disks, I doubt it'd be noticeable at all.

Better check it maybe the fans are dead... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Remember, Alver was an HP minion once upon a time -- he could've actually gotten hold of the ZX6k deskside kit. I read (somewhere) that the deskside config was a lot quieter...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: Remember, Alver was an HP minion once upon a time -- he could've actually gotten hold of the ZX6k deskside kit. I read (somewhere) that the deskside config was a lot quieter...

Ah, yes, naturally. If it isn't a zx6000 deskside, it's just an rx2600 with gfx added. Which is what a zx6000 really is, but like I said, the workstation version that I have is really, really quiet. :D
while (!asleep()) sheep++;