HP/DEC/Compaq

Help with Tru64 and DNS

Hi!

I have installed Tru64 with patch kit 4 on a Alpha DS10L and so far so good, but i can't get DNS to work properly. I can ping adresses with the IP number but not use DNS. I have tried to set DNS in nsswitch.conf and svc.conf but with no luck, and i have nameserver x.x.x.x in resolv.conf
please tell us how you set the network up on the alpha. e.g. local ip, gateway ip, dns ip ...
r-a-c.de
i took a easy way with the network setup, did IFCONFIG_0="DYNAMIC" in rc.config and that seemed to work with dhcp. But i have tried to setup with sysman but i have no clue how to fix the dns problem i have.
first assign a static ip. then make sure you have the right default route and then try again
r-a-c.de
There must also be a resolve.conf (or similar) so it knows how to resolve name to IP.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
Also make sure your netmask and broadcast address are being set correctly, whether your interface is being configured statically or via DHCP. For instance I use network 10 internally (e.g. hostA = 10.10.10.132) with a 24-bit netmask. Naive software, or a not-quite-right DHCP agent, might use the pre-CIDR * default netmask of 8-bits, which would cause all kinds of problems...

* Edit: Not using the class-based default netmask doesn't necessarily imply CIDR. We certainly used longer netmasks ("subnetting") on class A/B networks in the late 80s / early 90s...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
uunix wrote: There must also be a resolve.conf

there is
r-a-c.de
ok i have setup the ip static now and redone all the network settings, and finally it can ping www.google.com :) thank you guys!
Time to dig in to the Tru64 world once again!
good to hear, have fun :D
r-a-c.de
By the way is it possible to get the latest/last patch kit 6? well it does not improve that much either way from patch kit 4 i'm using now.
Since I've never had my fingers on a True64 machine: is the actual name resolve.conf? Or is it resolv.conf like in many other unixes?
Torfinn
my bad, it's normally resolv.conf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
logix wrote: By the way is it possible to get the latest/last patch kit 6? well it does not improve that much either way from patch kit 4 i'm using now.

It is definitely possible to find it... but you'd have to ask the right people on the right IRC channel :) unless you have a 5.1b4 kit from the (now deceased) Tru64 Hobbyist program, you still need a valid support contract to get it via the official channels.
while (!asleep()) sheep++;