HP/DEC/Compaq

VMS End of life - Page 3

jan-jaap wrote:

Fascinating. What a dream job (guaranteed job security) for one lucky guy. Problem is, anybody good enough at PDP-11 stuff is probably not going to want to work for another 37 years.

Fascinating. What a dream job (guaranteed job security) for one lucky guy. Problem is, anybody good enough at PDP-11 stuff is probably not going to want to work for another 37 years.

And the people who DO want that kind of job security can't get the training professionally anymore. :(

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
SAQ wrote:
hamei wrote:
sgi_mark wrote:
I wonder how many VMS customers will take HP up on their suggestion that they port to NSK or HP-UX ?

More to the point, how many customers will surround HP headquarters with burning torches, demanding Meg's head on a pike ?

You guys have got to quit letting these bastards pull this crap. The world will be intolerable if you keep allowing this kind of behavior.

This seems to have been HP's standard acquisitions policy for a while now (at least since Apollo). Spend a lot of money buying a company, discontinue their products at the earliest possible time, then expect the customers to move to HP's stuff. You'd think by now they'd figure out that it doesn't work that way.

Guess this means they'll never patch the y31086 problem :(

This is funny, because it's ignoring some pretty important parts of HP history. In the late 90's, HP had a well-regarded minicomputer system, with a large installed base, a deep roadmap, and a solid plan to migrate to IPF. I'm referring, of course, to the HP 3000 line and its operating system, MPE/iX. MPE was beautiful, with a high-performance, easy-to-maintain database (IMAGE) and a large number of ISV's providing software for the platform.

Then HP bought Compaq.

As soon as HP had its paws on NSK and VMS, the MPE roadmap went out the window. The IPF port was cancelled, and the half-baked VMS-on-IPF port (seriously, benchmark it side-by-side with HP-UX/aCC sometime) went ahead as HP's sole minicomputer option. MPE support and sales ended a couple of years ago, and now there's a thriving community of businesses providing support for those "homesteading" on MPE.

Meanwhile, HP's VMS development has been nothing but a chain of fuckups for the last several years. Support for new processors has lagged behind HP-UX and even Windows, performance is still behind other IPF systems, and only some Integrity systems can even run it. (No Superdomes for you, VMS users!) HP says that they know of 2500 unique customers on VMS, which, if accurate, implies some deep, deep fuckups on HP's end. I've never seen solid figures on VMS installed base when HP bought Compaq, but I'd be surprised if it was under 10000; the other major remaining minicomputer platform, IBM i, is claimed to have 100,000 unique customers.

Basically, the message here is not "oh noes, HP murders its acquisitions in favor of inhouse stuffs!!!!" but rather, "everything HP touches turns to shit."

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Want to try HP 3000? Well, good luck with that .

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
Kira wrote:
Basically, the message here is not "oh noes, HP murders its acquisitions in favor of inhouse stuffs!!!!" but rather, "everything HP touches turns to shit."

Only in the post-1996ish world of HP. They used to be really good.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
commodorejohn wrote:
urbancamo wrote:
Sorry, but I totally disagree with this statement. I personally would see the architectures and protocols that we have to use in web development substantially different but how you can argue that software hasn't had a significant impact on the 'average Jo' is beyond me.

It's not that there haven't been noticeable impacts, it's that they haven't been ones that are really all that great. It's cool that we've got forums like this, and we can send email across the world many times faster than it takes to mail a letter, but overall were we really that much worse off in, say, the '70s or '80s for not having "modern" software? Seems to me we got along just fine back then.

Yeah but this is a borderline nutcase/Luddite view and aside from you and me there are obviously not enough people who subscribe to it. Time goes on whether we like it or not. Running antique (cough) vintage (cough) hardware and software is just a temporary respite. When you get up from your chair you have to face the world moved on from there. Not for the better but there's no stopping it.

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily" -- Bluto ... and then in the secret meeting of the Greek Counsel "Blowjob! Blowjob!"

Not only did we (who were there) get along fine back then we also had jobs that mostly weren't getting "outsourced" or "downsized" or "rightsized" or "reorganized" or "restructured" or "nearshored". I don't even know what the latest word for that is but I do remember what it was like to smoke cigars and drink beer in the office- during working hours- and still get a bonus at the end of the year. It was nice to work with the same guys for a few years instead of shaking hands with the consultant-du-jour or moving offices twice a year during the acquisitions that came later. It was nice to be able to ask questions of people who worked on a product for 20 years how things ought to be done.

commodorejohn wrote:
SAQ wrote:
I just realized that this is another milestone - the last bit of DEC to be buried. Compaq killed off VAX, HP killed off Tru64 shortly after buying it and Alpha somewhat later (those pesky customers - they kept buying it instead of quietly going to Integrity) . StorageWorks was dropped, now OVMS.

That's what really burns about this - HP having been trying to bury OpenVMS since they acquired it, this is just them finally getting it positioned properly in the grave. It's all politics...there ought to be a law that a company that buys out a product line is obligated to support it indefinitely, then maybe we wouldn't get so many companies that acquire something for the purpose of squashing and/or "buying" its customer base.

Well I think we can all bet money HP didn't buy Compaq for VMS. They wanted the PC business and they got it. Companies today really don't want crappy little 100M/year business lines cluttering up the financials. If it doesn't make half a billion it's probably going to die in a big merger or acquisition. It has nothing to do with how good something is or how much people love it. They don't want to manage it.

Do you have a cite for that Stroustrup quote btw? I've read quite a few statements by him that suggest he knows which end is up notwithstanding the fact he invented C++.

Yes, they used to be prime stuff. At some point they transitioned to the world of commodity crapware.

Yeah but this is a borderline nutcase/Luddite view and aside from you and me there are obviously not enough people who subscribe to it. Time goes on whether we like it or not. Running antique (cough) vintage (cough) hardware and software is just a temporary respite. When you get up from your chair you have to face the world moved on from there. Not for the better but there's no stopping it.

First off, the fact that most people don't subscribe to a viewpoint has no relevance to its accuracy. I'm not saying that people don't think they're a million times better off now than they were in the dark ages of the '70s and '80s, I'm saying that they really weren't - no matter what they think.

Additionally, it's not as inescapable as all that yet. For the time being, we still have the choice of whether or not to be involved in a lot of things; I don't have a Facebook account, and I never will. I do have a cell phone, but only in case of getting stranded on the road in the snow or somesuch, and I don't hesitate to turn the damn thing off when I want some quiet time.

And anyway, even if it is inevitable, who says we have to approve of it?

Quote:
Do you have a cite for that Stroustrup quote btw? I've read quite a few statements by him that suggest he knows which end is up notwithstanding the fact he invented C++.

Right here. That whole page is worth reading; the man is so far removed into the realm of sensible and sane from the IT industry at large that it's not even funny...

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote:
bluecode wrote:

First off, the fact that most people don't subscribe to a viewpoint has no relevance to its accuracy. I'm not saying that people don't think they're a million times better off now than they were in the dark ages of the '70s and '80s, I'm saying that they really weren't - no matter what they think.

I agree with that. What I hard find to explain is how few other people do. But in the end it doesn't matter what we think because the majority rules. The sheeple have spoken! Or at least their unelected governing bodies have...

bluecode wrote:

commodorejohn wrote:
That whole page is worth reading; the man is so far removed into the realm of sensible and sane from the IT industry at large that it's not even funny...

Thanks. But I don't understand what you meant in your sentence above. I find his comments refreshingly accurate. It's even more remarkable that an academic is connected to reality. That alone is noteworty!

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup