HP/DEC/Compaq

IA-64 graphics options

Could anyone please tell me what modern, either consumer or professional, PCI (not PCI-E) graphics adapters/cards are available with good IA-64 Linux and Windows support? HP-UX is pretty limited with regard to choices (OpenVMS even more so), so I have a general idea of my options. But, if anyone has some additional information (that HP isn't providing), feel free to enlighten me.

If you want 3D (which I'm assuming you do, because you say "modern") the answer is none, at least on the Linux side. Both NVidia and AMD/ATI cancelled their public Linux IA-64 drivers 3-5 years ago. Plus, I'm pretty sure that the only supported cards were PCI-E (FireGL X1/Z1 for ATI, some Quadro stuff for NVidia) anyway.

Windows I'm not sure about - anyone else more up to date?

It's pretty much a lost cause - the closest you'll get is the AGP FireGL X1/Z1 but the drivers for them won't work on any new Linux, since they're years-old now (and never actually worked on anything besides Red Hat to start with). The last public NVidia Linux driver is the same way - I believe the highest card they supported was the AGP Quadro FX line, but there are special stability issues (probably bus-related, although I don't know) with Quadro FX cards in HP workstations so most people had to fall back to lower-end cards.

While I'm talking R300, though, the open-source R300 drivers will work on a recent Linux distribution and provide 3D to a very, very, very limited (slow and buggy) extent. I would assume they would work with a PCI card although you'd probably have to goof around with KMS and early-stage boot stuff to get the system up (as an off-the-shelf PCI R300 won't have an EFI BIOS).

Most people nowadays run their Linux IA-64s headless, judging from the Linux-IA64 mailing list. Proprietary video drivers strike again!

Fixed!