HP/DEC/Compaq

ES25

Hi,

Anyone used a ES25(1GHz 1GB RAM) for something usefull, I found one for sale just now and need to decide if there is any use for it :)

/michael

risk.
It'd be a nice VMS box or Tru64 box. NetBSD will support Alpha for a while, but Linux is starting to move away from it.

OpenVMS Hobbyist comes with enough layered products to be useful - it even has the license for DECwrite (a old but still usable word processor). VMS makes a good Internet server also, as it can be locked down very tightly and has few bugs.

Not sure about ES25 - are you sure it isn't a misread ES45? ES45 is a SMP deskside/rack box.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
Yes, you are right it is a DS25 http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 32_na.html

So maybe I should make a bid, right know the bid is $15 ending tomorrow.

risk.
They're a bit big and power-hungry, but solid boxes with several nice OSes to choose from. I have a pair of DS20E's that used to be part of Alta Vista (thanks to Guy Sotomayor) with dual 667MHz CPUs. Wouldn't mind getting a pair of 1GHz CPUs - I know 833's will work... You just have to overlook or tape over any Compaq logos you might find, if you're so inclined.

Where did you find it? (only answer if you decide not to bid on it :)

It is a quite nice machine for 15$ I would go for it... but I have the space.

I would have it for VMS if but I rather have a real VAX

Do you want it, then bid on it before 23.59 but pls tell me

mvh Michael

Info below.

http://www.it-auktion.se/
DATORER - SERVRAR:

Budklockan är nu 21:21:21 2010-06-13. Auktionen avslutas ca: klockan 24, 2010-06-13
Du är inte inloggad och kan därför inte bjuda!

Högsta bud:
100 kr SM5TFX
Produktnummer: 40202
Fabrikat: HP
Produkt: Pentium 3 - 1,0GHz
Modell: AlphaServer DS25 DY-57AAB-AA
Utköpspris:
Beskrivning: Server. 1,0GHz CPU, 1024MB Minne, 72+72GB Hårddisk, CD-RW, DVD-Rom, grafikkort Intel int. , nätverkskort, OBS ! Ej operativsystem, .
Övrigt: Begagnad, funktionstestad. OBS! EJ FÖRPACKAD, MÅSTE HÄMTAS I BROMMA. VI SKICKAR EJ DENNA!!!
Antal: 1 st

Startbud: 100 kr

Lägg ett bud:

Lägg ett takbud:

risk.
I missed out :) It went very cheap, about 60 dollars, Did you get it?

risk.
SAQ wrote:
It'd be a nice VMS box or Tru64 box. NetBSD will support Alpha for a while, but Linux is starting to move away from it.

Indeed, good call! The only issue or bottleneck is that some PHP and the like extensions can experience some difficulty with the file system (and the file version control, in particular). Though I believe that they ironed out most of those issues by now.

Quote:
OpenVMS Hobbyist comes with enough layered products to be useful - it even has the license for DECwrite (a old but still usable word processor). VMS makes a good Internet server also, as it can be locked down very tightly and has few bugs.

In the PDF headers of most HP/Compaq documentation (like for OpenVMS), it appears that most of it was actually authored with DECwrite. DECwrite also has powerful HTML output capabilities, lots of the online documentation seems to have been generated with it, too. So yes, pretty ‘usable’ indeed.

Quote:
Not sure about ES25 - are you sure it isn't a misread ES45? ES45 is a SMP deskside/rack box.

The ES* were (and still are) quite high-end indeed. The ES47 was the last and most high-end AXP rack system, I think. (Which the Integrity “Superdome” and such only replaced a few years ago.)