Sun

Real T1000/T2000 power consumption figures

Could someone please provide me with Sun's T1000 and T2000 real, measured (kill-a-watt or the like), power consumption metrics (preferably in Watts from an AC, not DC feed); and please include the voltage used, as I've noticed 208/220V is somewhat (10% or so) more efficient than 110V (here in the US). Don't forget to include the number of cores and memory used; along with number of drives if possible; please provide me with idle and peak if possible.

Thanks for reading, double thanks for participating.
:Onyx2:
Well my Sunfire V245 with dual cpus and 16Gb of memory used around 300 watts on 120VAC. That was with two 73Gb drives and recording video from my surveillance camera. I think that was with only one power supply running so its probably more with the second one installed.
I can give you idle figures for my machine here. It's a T2000 with 4 core/1Ghz T1, 16Gb, 4 * 146Gb drives

On 240V supplies, it takes 115W per power supply when running with both, and 205W when running with just one.

Actually, when I say it's a 4 core/ 1Ghz, it's actually an 8 core 1.2Ghz but only 4 cores show up, which suggests to me that the machine uses firmware to enable/disable CPU features? (cores, clock rate etc). I'm also not sure if that was common when these machines were released, whether they 'unlocked' capabilities like this. Anyone know?
cesare wrote: [...]
Actually, when I say it's a 4 core/ 1Ghz, it's actually an 8 core 1.2Ghz but only 4 cores show up, which suggests to me that the machine uses firmware to enable/disable CPU features? (cores, clock rate etc). I'm also not sure if that was common when these machines were released, whether they 'unlocked' capabilities like this. Anyone know?

I actually don't know if Sun did similar things like IBM (capacity on demand) for the UltraSPARC T1 based systems - well at least not for my T1000 - but I know that one can disable components on specific Sun machines. I.e. on a Sun Enterprise 250 you can disable processors, memory, etc. (I believe via OBP) and also for the T2000 this can be done ( via SC and possibly also from OBP). But as your clock rate also seems limited I wonder if your machine maybe has another issue. Maybe you give it a try with the showcomponent command first, to see what's available on your machine.
:Indy: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: = :O200: (O200 cluster w/2 GIGAchannel cabinets)
[ ( hp ) ] c3000 (dead) c3700 c3750 c8000 :hpserv: (J5600) rp2470 :rx2600: (rx2620) rx4640
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l | AXPpci33 AlphaStation 200 4/166 AlphaStation 255 300 Personal Workstation 500au AlphaServer DS20E
C O B A L T Qube 2 Qube 3 RaQ RaQ 2 RaQ 4r RaQ XTR
I've had a fair dig about and not found anything obvious. From SC I can see the hardware, and it also sees the 16 threads (so 4 cores), which at least means i've not messed up the virtualisation stuff and limited what the OS sees. Saying that, Solaris 11 doesn't play nicely with LDOM with this machine, and I had to back out the default version for an older install to make that work from the host OS.

For me, it's just a toy box to run some continuous integration tests on a big endian architecture, so it does the job. I would like to get the rest of the cores up and running though just from a satisfaction sense. Sun stuff is fun - I first used sun 3 workstations when I was at university.
cesare wrote: I've had a fair dig about and not found anything obvious. From SC I can see the hardware, and it also sees the 16 threads (so 4 cores)

But if the SC does only show 16 virtual CPUs when using showcomponent , how do you know you really have 32 virtual CPUs (8 cores)?

cesare wrote: , which at least means i've not messed up the virtualisation stuff and limited what the OS sees. Saying that, Solaris 11 doesn't play nicely with LDOM with this machine, and I had to back out the default version for an older install to make that work from the host OS.

OpenBSD should also be able to "host" LDOMs , you could give that a try and stay away from Solaris 11 as host OS.
:Indy: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: = :O200: (O200 cluster w/2 GIGAchannel cabinets)
[ ( hp ) ] c3000 (dead) c3700 c3750 c8000 :hpserv: (J5600) rp2470 :rx2600: (rx2620) rx4640
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l | AXPpci33 AlphaStation 200 4/166 AlphaStation 255 300 Personal Workstation 500au AlphaServer DS20E
C O B A L T Qube 2 Qube 3 RaQ RaQ 2 RaQ 4r RaQ XTR