Sun

Boot a SPARCStation 20 into single user mode without a CD

The gist: my SS20 is running CD-less, needs to be booted into single user mode for a password reset and I don't really have any drives available for the task. are there any ways to accomplish this using just the floppy drive, with a boot disk or just do all of the password resetting with a mini-linux disk?

Image PMG5 PPC 970MP @ 2.0 GHz,GF6600LE, 5 GB RAM, 2x WD 2500KS 250 GB, OS X Leopard
Image Indy R4400SC @ 200 MHz, XL24, 64 MB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 9LP 4.55 GB needs IRIX reinstall
Image U5 UltraSPARC IIi @ 270 MHz, 3D Rage Pro, 128 MB RAM, Seagate ST34342A 4.3 GB NVRAM
Image U5 UltraSPARC IIi @ 360 MHz, 3D Rage Pro, 128 MB RAM, SunPCI 400 MHz NVRAM
Image SS20 SuperSPARC II @ 75 MHz, Parallax Multivision Framebuffer, 128 MB RAM, Fujitsu MAB3091SC (9.1 GB), SunOS 4.1.4
Image SS2 CY7C601 @ 40 MHz, GX Framebuffer, 16 MB RAM, Maxtor LXT213SY (210 MB) NVRAM
Image ESERV-X450 Itanium 2 @ 1.3 GHz x4 , Rage XL, 10 GB RAM, Windows Server 2003
Image HP9000-C200 PA-7200 @ 100 MHz dead mainboard and/or CMOS battery
The first thing that comes to my mind is network boot, which is really easy to set up in a Solaris-VM on x86.
f1lm wrote:
The gist: my SS20 is running CD-less, needs to be booted into single user mode for a password reset and I don't really have any drives available for the task.

Can't you just get into OBP and do

Code:
boot -s

?

Code:
boot -s

?

Solaris might ask for root-pw in order to invoke a shell in single user mode. I'm not entirely sure about this, but mounting the fs from another instance definately works.

Here's a guide on how to set up Solaris as a install server (this also works for other versions than 8)
What he/she said.

My advice is to setup a jumpstart server anyways. Making a Solaris 10 VM for this is crazy easy using the docs provided. Spool up your solaris of choice (9 should work on the 20) and away you go. Anytime you need it, fire up the VM and then you can do rescues and installs over boot net.

excuse my, uh, new ness if it's seeping through a little. I have 4 SPARC boxes, but all of them (but this damn one) have dead NVRAM batteries that I haven't been able to fix. I'm hoping to get this one up and running to get some real learning in.

I might dust off my x3250 and set up a couple solaris VMs for jumpstarting, that sounds like a great idea.

bluecode wrote:
f1lm wrote:
The gist: my SS20 is running CD-less, needs to be booted into single user mode for a password reset and I don't really have any drives available for the task.

Can't you just get into OBP and do

Code:
boot -s

?

it appears I can, thanks for the help. deleted root's pass entry in /etc/passwd and I'm in, figured I'd need those vi refs sooner or later.

So far so good, can log into root fine now BUT I can't get X to start. It's running SunOS 4.1.4 with (looks to be) OpenWindows. Is the command different from "startx" on other *nix variants I've dealt with in passing or is something messed up/root can't use X?

Image PMG5 PPC 970MP @ 2.0 GHz,GF6600LE, 5 GB RAM, 2x WD 2500KS 250 GB, OS X Leopard
Image Indy R4400SC @ 200 MHz, XL24, 64 MB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 9LP 4.55 GB needs IRIX reinstall
Image U5 UltraSPARC IIi @ 270 MHz, 3D Rage Pro, 128 MB RAM, Seagate ST34342A 4.3 GB NVRAM
Image U5 UltraSPARC IIi @ 360 MHz, 3D Rage Pro, 128 MB RAM, SunPCI 400 MHz NVRAM
Image SS20 SuperSPARC II @ 75 MHz, Parallax Multivision Framebuffer, 128 MB RAM, Fujitsu MAB3091SC (9.1 GB), SunOS 4.1.4
Image SS2 CY7C601 @ 40 MHz, GX Framebuffer, 16 MB RAM, Maxtor LXT213SY (210 MB) NVRAM
Image ESERV-X450 Itanium 2 @ 1.3 GHz x4 , Rage XL, 10 GB RAM, Windows Server 2003
4.1.4 doesn't do XDM, at least by default. Log in and then run "openwin". Make sure that /usr/openwin/bin is in your PATH, or specify /usr/openwin/bin/openwin.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
4.1.4 doesn't do XDM, at least by default. Log in and then run "openwin". Make sure that /usr/openwin/bin is in your PATH, or specify /usr/openwin/bin/openwin.

Code:
stout# openwin
/etc/openwin: Permission denied.

Would PATH have anything to do with this? It returned this before and after I set it, although I could be doing the latter incorrectly.

EDIT: It's probably because I'm logged in as root, other users seem to work fine.

f1lm wrote:
SAQ wrote:

Code:
stout# openwin

Would PATH have anything to do with this? It returned this before and after I set it, although I could be doing the latter incorrectly.

EDIT: It's probably because I'm logged in as root, other users seem to work fine.

See the bold bit. You're trying to run /etc/openwin, you want /usr/openwin/bin/openwin.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Thanks for all the replies, guys. One less boat anchor under my desk, and I finally have a functioning RISC system.

SAQ wrote:
f1lm wrote:
SAQ wrote:

Code:
stout# openwin

See the bold bit. You're trying to run /etc/openwin, you want /usr/openwin/bin/openwin.

I tried setting that, although I apparently did it wrong. After logging into other accounts it starts up just fine but my mouse is acting up and barely moves the cursor (I am using a Sun optical mouse pad, so I have no idea) so it is for the moment unusable, and I'm using a serial console instead to save desk space.

On a semi-related note, now that this thing is up and running, are there any sites with freeware (text-based or otherwise) for 4.x? Google isn't turning up any meaningful results, but perhaps I'm not searching for the right thing...

f1lm wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, guys. One less boat anchor under my desk, and I finally have a functioning RISC system.

I tried setting that, although I apparently did it wrong. After logging into other accounts it starts up just fine but my mouse is acting up and barely moves the cursor (I am using a Sun optical mouse pad, so I have no idea) so it is for the moment unusable, and I'm using a serial console instead to save desk space.

You could have the wrong pad for the mouse. I forget the cutoffs, but the pad/grid density for the Sun optical mice changed in the Sun 3/Sun 4 era. Having the wrong pad acts much as you describe. If you can find any Sun ball mouse that uses the DIN connector you should be fine.

Also, search the 'net for PDF's of the different Sun mouse pad grids. You can print them on shiny paper and they work pretty well. You should be able to find the two different kinds and see what works.

SAQ wrote:
f1lm wrote:
SAQ wrote:

Code:
stout# openwin

On a semi-related note, now that this thing is up and running, are there any sites with freeware (text-based or otherwise) for 4.x? Google isn't turning up any meaningful results, but perhaps I'm not searching for the right thing...

4.x is going to be tuff. 5.x you will have a much better time. If you actually want to use the machine, I would look at putting Solaris 9 on it (SunOS 5.9). Besides, 4.x is BSD and not UNIX! Who wants that!? ;)

4.x is going to be tuff. 5.x you will have a much better time. If you actually want to use the machine, I would look at putting Solaris 9 on it (SunOS 5.9). Besides, 4.x is BSD and not UNIX! Who wants that!? ;)

There are those who would say that BSD is UNIX and are unsure what this whole "System V" thing is. I used to be completely in that camp, and I still do like some bits of SunOS 4 over Solaris.

Look at your path expression carefully - for some reason it's searching in /etc before /usr/openwin/bin.

Re: the mouse: Old IR optical mice often have LEDs that suffer from reduced emission - soldering in a new LED of the proper type can revive them. That or get a later mechanical bearpaw mouse.

zmttoxics wrote:

gonna upgrade for sure when I can get a hold of a CDROM drive, but for now I'm stuck with 4.x until I can shell the cash for one. Need to get my SS2 fixed up with a new NVRAM chip as well.

SAQ wrote:
Re: the mouse: Old IR optical mice often have LEDs that suffer from reduced emission - soldering in a new LED of the proper type can revive them. That or get a later mechanical bearpaw mouse.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a mechanical, they don't turn up often locally though.