Sun

Installing Solaris 10 on E450

I was wondering how easy/hard it is to install Solaris 10 for SPARC on an E450. I have never installed Solaris before, so this will be a new learning experience for me.

Any help or install guides would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Fred
IndyFred wrote: Any help or install guides would be most helpful.

1. Put CD one in the CDROM drive.
2. From the prom type "boot cdrom".
3. Follow on screen instructions.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
hehe, nice to the point.

it's really not harder than any other os installation.
r-a-c.de
Okay I inserted the DVD and am installing it now.

Thanks everyone!
Okay the systems is reinstalled and on the internet.

What I do not understand is that I have eight hard drives for a total of 156GB. When I do the df -hk in terminal, all I see is the first hard drive. How do I see the other drives? Still new to Solaris and trying to learn as much as I can before my UNIX book arrives.

Thanks!

Fred
You probably need to run fdisk and make sure the other disks are labled and partitioned right. Also does you E450 have the full drive backplane or just the base 4 drive one? All your disks should atleast show up in /dev/dsk as cXtXd0sX where cX = controller # X, tX = target # X, d0 = lun 0, and sX = slice # X. From there you still need to make a filesystem on them and mount them.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure
Put the drives in a ZFS pool - it will make your life much easier.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
wolflord wrote: You probably need to run fdisk and make sure the other disks are labled and partitioned right. Also does you E450 have the full drive backplane or just the base 4 drive one? All your disks should atleast show up in /dev/dsk as cXtXd0sX where cX = controller # X, tX = target # X, d0 = lun 0, and sX = slice # X. From there you still need to make a filesystem on them and mount them.

Thanks Wolflord, When I do a STOP-A, it shows all eight drives. I also have lights on all eight drives when I open the case. I think I have all the backplanes as the server did come with 18 drives but ten of them were bad. :-(
SAQ wrote: Put the drives in a ZFS pool - it will make your life much easier.

SAQ, how do I go about doing this? Should I do a custom Solaris 10 install?

Thanks again!
Okay I have been scouring the internet for a guide on how to install Solaris 10 05/09 to make sure I am installing everything and it seems that some of the options offered I do not see. One option in particular is the disks section. On the internet, it shows which disk to install Solaris on. I never get that option.

Should I be using standard or Flash?

Thanks!
IndyFred wrote: Should I be using standard or Flash?!

Standard interactive.
Okay this is new. When I boot up (to reinstall Solaris 19) I now get this:

Configuring Devices.
WARNING: /pci@1f, 4000/scsi@3/sd@3, 0 (sd48):
corrupt label - bad geometry

Label says 35379200 blocks; Drive says 35378533 blocks
Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information.
Attempting to configure interface hme0...
Skipped Interface hme0

What does this mean and how can I correct it under the EEPROM screen?

Thanks!

Fred
Are the disks from foreign systems? You may want to run format on the disks, and reinstall again.

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/format_utility.jsp
Thanks Porter. I will try this when I get home. The E450 does not have Solaris loaded on it yet.

Thanks!
If you do a text console install you can put the root/boot on ZFS as well, and you can't do that under interactive (GUI).

I think that it might be easiest to label the disks (format program) from the GUI though - just bring up the root menu (right click on the desktop) and select "terminal"
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)