Sun

Sun xvr-1200 graphics driver

Does anyone have info or download location for the Sun xvr-1200 graphics driver? Actually Sun had a Sun xvr-1200 graphics accelerator cd. I contacted Sun to find out about purchasing the cd but was told the xvr-1200 has already reached its End of Life and no cd's are available. I checked the Sun forums and I've been searching as often as possible since last week to no avail.

I'm putting together a Sunblade 2000 and trying to upgrade from the xvr-1000 to the xvr-1200 graphics card but cannot do so until I install the required drivers on that specific cd.

In keeping with the Forum rules, I'm not asking here for pirated or commercial software, but just a specific driver needed to run the xvr-1200 that has reached its End of Life.

Cheers, Richard

SUN can be difficult when it comes to people asking about EOL support. I had the same experience. The driver for the XVR-1200, like most of the other SPARC framebuffer drivers should already be inside the current SPARC Solaris 10. If you look here:

http://docs.sun.com/source/817-0438-10/index.html

You should be able to find the name of the command line setup tool in there. Each SPARC framebuffer has a seperate tool for that.

HTH

I have that link and it lists only for the xvr-500 and xvr-1000 (not the xvr-1200). But at least it's something I can go with ATM.

I'm not sure if I've found everything I need or not. Not sure if the required listed for 8 is the same as 10. Looks like 9 doesn't need the same req's as 8.5.

I have dl the following SUNWgfb.u; SUNWgfbw; SUNWgfbr; and SUNWgfbcf. No luck so far with SUNWgfbx.u though.

I'll have more time in the next couple of days to hopefully get it up and running and search more.

Richard

XVR-1200 uses the jfb* binaries.

Have a search through your system like:

Code:
find / -depth -name "*jfb*"

and see if it throws anything back at you.

Hello, just joined this forum today. If you are still looking for the drivers for any of sun's graphics accelerators for sparc systems, they are here http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/sparc_graphics/ Let me know if you have any questions.

"Microsoft is not the answer, Microsoft is the question...The answer is no!" :lol:
Quote:
Hello, just joined this forum today. If you are still looking for the drivers for any of sun's graphics accelerators for sparc systems, they are here http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/sparc_graphics/ Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks a bunch, I haven't done much with it since my original post ( I've been adding to my SGI gear), ........but it's still on my to do list.

I found the xvr-1200 drivers somewhere else a couple of days ago. I'm just getting acquainted with my SB-2000 which has a xvr-1000 but I have a xvr-1200 coming in the mail. Maybe next weekend I will be able to try and install the drivers. I'm pretty sure the site I downloaded the driver from said it was for Solaris 8 & 9 with no mention of Solaris 10. Will the driver work or should I just try the ones for Open Solaris?

:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
I'm gonna have to test this out myself, but ISTR seeing packages associated with jfb in Solaris Express, and presumably in Solaris 10 as well. That said, if it doesn't, yeah, try the OpenSolaris ones. OpenSolaris is more similar to Solaris 10 than Sol 8 and 9 are.
Quote:
I found the xvr-1200 drivers somewhere else a couple of days ago. I'm just getting acquainted with my SB-2000 which has a xvr-1000 but I have a xvr-1200 coming in the mail. Maybe next weekend I will be able to try and install the drivers. I'm pretty sure the site I downloaded the driver from said it was for Solaris 8 & 9 with no mention of Solaris 10. Will the driver work or should I just try the ones for Open Solaris?
Quote:

I have a sb2000 with two xvr1200 graphics cards and I have one that I am about to install in another sb2000. The first one I installed with opensolaris.....it was a pain, but I got them to work...now have use of all 4 of my 24" sun monitors. I am going to try and get this card configured on solaris 10 with the other, and if I do, I will give you a step by step.

Microsoft is not the answer, Microsoft is the question, The answer is no :lol:
My first of two XVR-1200 video cards arrived today. I'll wait on the second to do the install.

I've been looking at the SUN MICROSYSTEMS A124PO lcds listed on eaby (24") and was wondering if the 13w3 connection they have wiill work with my SGIs? Does it sync on green?
Any general comments about the monitors?

What about the price of $250 each - do you think that is a good price.

thanks.

PS. I've posted some comments about getting Boinc running on Solaris 10 on here:

http://dotsch.phpbb8.de/unix-f14/solari ... ng-t8.html

thegoldbug

:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
I'm not sure if they'll sync on green or not, since Suns usually do composite sync, not SoG. $250's not terrible, though. I was gonna recommend the Lenovo ThinkVision L220x, but for the price of one of those ($440), you can almost have two of the Sun panels. IIRC they have HD15 and DVI inputs and come with an HD15-13W3 cable, but maybe it's the other way around.

Google might be able to confirm whether they can do SoG or not.
I've updated both my SB2000s and each have dual 1.015Ghz CPUs, the one has dual xvr-1200 cards and the other a single xvr-1000 video card. I've gone to the opensolaris sight and downloaded the graphics drivers binary file and I've untarred it and a whole mess of SUNW directories appear.

The xvr-1000 installation documentation (PDF from SUN's sight) instructs us to install the following software packages.
SUNWgfb.u SUNWgfbx.u SUNWgfbw SUNWgfbr SUNWgfbcf

I've searched and searched but can't find any directions on how to install these.

> pkgadd -d SUNWgfb.u
pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </downloads/SUNWgfb.u>

complains there are no packages in the subdirectories yet those directories have what appear (according to my reading) to be valid subdirectory package structure (ie install, pkginfo, pkgmap, reloc).

# cd SUNWgfb.u
# ls
archive install pkginfo pkgmap reloc

------ On a separate note, I've recieved my two SUN AI24PO LCDs but one of the them was heavily scratched (I believe by the person doing the packing job) and I'm impressed by their weight/beefyness. I can't change the video resolution using fbconfig at this point (the display is out of sync when I try and increase the resolution above 1024x768) but hoping that is related to these video drivers.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Head to the dir that they untarred in, then do "pkdadd -d ." - that should make it find 'em.
Thanks for the help. I had tried that command but I didn't have a space before the period.

One problem (maybe) still is that the SUNWgfbx.u packages is missing and the docs say to install that second.

I've installed the others and am rebooting now. ...

My size size has now increased to 1280x1024x67 (up from 1024x768). So far so good.

I just tried increasing to SUNW_STD_1920x1200x75 and I got the out of sync message after rebooting.

Looks like it's back to trial and error.

Are the monitors connected via VGA or DVI? If they're not DVI, try that - auto-detection of capabilities probably works better that way. Also, try the VESA_STD resolutions, if there's one that applies. Most of the SUNW_STD_ are timings designed to work well with CRTs, especially the 21" and 24" Sun models.
Okay, I got it sorted out.

> fbconfig -res SUNW_DIG_1920x1200x60 now -stream a

then I rebooted and it came up full screen on my 24" monitor. Lovely.

thegoldbug

Outstanding. I'll be testing much the same thing with a pair of Lenovo L220x in a few months when I get back home, I'll post my results.
If you're still using this system with this graphics card, you may be interested in finding out that a developer in the Illumos (the kernel formerly known as OpenSolaris) has finally released a fully working SPARC version of OpenIndiana, with OpenXsun, open-sourced drivers for the Sun XVR framebuffers.

http://dist.martux.org/MartUX-OpenIndia ... _sun4v.iso
http://dist.martux.org/MartUX-OpenIndia ... so__MD5SUM

I will installing it on a Sun Blade 2500 Red that I have had sitting in a corner shortly.

:Indy: (SGI Indy, 150MHz R5000SC, 16MB RAM, two 4GB disks running IRIX 5.3)
:Indigo2IMP: (SGI Indigo2 Extreme, 200MHz R4400SC, 128MB RAM, 9GB disk with IRIX 6.5, will upgrade RAM, processor and graphics to MaximumIMPACT)

HP ProLiant DL360 G3 - dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz, 2.5GB RAM, Ultra320 SCSI
Looking at obtaining more SGI hardware again!