SGI: Video

shake it, baby!

here are a few shake-interface related tips that i dug out since i just set it up on a new box. this should all work on shake 3.x and possibly earlier versions. not tested on 4:

set

Code: Select all

sys.hardwareType = 1;
to speed up interface redraw. originally intended for the infamous sgi slow2, this even makes a difference on a fast dual opteron box, yet it still looks nice.
set

sys.maxThread = x;
to assign a number of CPU's to shake. mainly intended for rendering, i found it to help in the interface as well, especially with paint.
put these into a *.h file in your nreal/include/startup/ui folder

set

gui.doBoxAltFxIcons = 1; gui.doBoxColumns = 6;
to change the icons to a different theme, this time with small images and large text buttons. the second command set's the number of images in a row. the value of 6 fit's nicely with my 1600x1200 resolution.
put these into a *.h file in your nreal/include/startup/ folder

dig out the manual and look under customization for the complete picture. they even supply you with a script to generate your own icons.[/code]

Hth.
Thanks for that. I find the default icons annoyingly difficult to interpret, but making a whole set of text-only ones would take for-ev-er...

Do you happen to know what the hardwareType actually does? Is there any visible quality difference?
lewis wrote: I find the default icons annoyingly difficult to interpret, but making a whole set of text-only ones would take for-ev-er...

When you're done, you could share with the rest of us :lol:
nice :D
gonna try it later. maybe the gui won't suck so badly afterwards :D
r-a-c.de
lewis wrote: Thanks for that. I find the default icons annoyingly difficult to interpret, but making a whole set of text-only ones would take for-ev-er...

the alternative iconset are close to being text-only already. so far i've not wanted to do my own set but i guess it's actually not that much work. check the docs under cookbook and there the altIcon macro. it should be easy to edit out the image-part and make the macro render only text when ran against the shake-node collection, or whatever it does. ;)

Do you happen to know what the hardwareType actually does? Is there any visible quality difference?

can't say for sure how it looks on IRIX, but on the linux box i set up, the switch prevents all too many mouse-over highlighting effects on various GUI elements. it draws a more noticeable rectangle around those fields. looks a little less elegant than the default setup but still not clunky. for a starter, input fields might even become more easy to spot. at least i know in the beginning i sometimes missed an inputfield among all those subtle grey shades.

btw. there's also a switch to change the whole layout of shake to tremor-style, somewhat similar to the discreet interface. i think i'd have to dig out that switch from older manuals though. seems, apple tries to make people forget about it.
shitty pic but all i found on the web: http://www.cgtimes.com.cn/upload2004040 ... 718011.jpg
Yeah, I much prefer the Tremor interface. Not sure how you'd do it in a header file but you can launch "shake -gui 1" to get it.
ah, so there it hides, thx. maybe after all apple isn't as evil as i thought, i might just have looked in the wrong direction. btw. just tried the sys.hardwareType interface-switch on IRIX, looks even better than on linux, hardly any difference visually from the defaults, but faster.

btw. am i the only one who get's an annoyingly stuck screen on shake load? the desktop freezes for a brief period, like with some cheesy old win95 hardware check. ;) and if i put the pointer down onto the tablet during that period, i have to restart wacomd afterwards. grr!
Well currently my Wacom on Irix goes totally to shit if I leave the pointer in one place for more than a second. Lifting the pen off makes it better but BOY is it annoying :)

I'm not really a Shake guy so I'm unlikely to be making an icon set but I did make one for Flame which you can see/get here: http://www.fxguide.com/postlite1645-batch+icon.html
lewis wrote: Well currently my Wacom on Irix goes totally to shit if I leave the pointer in one place for more than a second. Lifting the pen off makes it better but BOY is it annoying :)

I'm not really a Shake guy so I'm unlikely to be making an icon set but I did make one for Flame which you can see/get here: http://www.fxguide.com/postlite1645-batch+icon.html

now that's nice :P
must visit fxguide's forum more often again :D
r-a-c.de
i did color code a few of the schematic's icons myself. it was so annoying to stare at a mass of dull grey cloned blobs from a distance, afterwards it became easier to read axes, lights, etc. when zoomed out but it's nothing anywhere near your stuff.
interesting - and it looks like you're turning batch into a shake-default-like colorful icon mess :lol:
GIJoe wrote: here are a few shake-interface related tips that i dug out since i just set it up on a new box. this should all work on shake 3.x and possibly earlier versions. not tested on 4:

set

sys.hardwareType = 1;
to speed up interface redraw. originally intended for the infamous sgi slow2, this even makes a difference on a fast dual opteron box, yet it still looks nice.

applied that and it's terrific :P
i should have read the customizations docs years ago :lol: :lol:

thanks anyway
r-a-c.de
I usually run shake with "-gui 1" argument .... it loads shake with the tremor interface which i find really much better for 16:9 or 2k format..

thanks for the others tricks.. i'll try 'em on shake 4 later on my linux box.

cheers.
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----
GIJoe wrote: and it looks like you're turning batch into a shake-default-like colorful icon mess :lol:

:-p

You have a point but at least all the text names are still there. In shake I look at the row of buttons under viewer for the rotoshapes and go HUH? What are these weird arrows and stuff supposed to mean? :)
sum][one wrote: I usually run shake with "-gui 1" argument .... it loads shake with the tremor interface which i find really much better for 16:9 or 2k format..

thanks for the others tricks.. i'll try 'em on shake 4 later on my linux box.

cheers.

yes, tremor gui is nice as well but the hardware=1 setting is like triple the speed :D
r-a-c.de
just a boon question ... where do i set those environments :roll:

hm... at command line like i was using -gui 1 ... so -gui 1 -hardware 1 maybe?...
----

:: jean-claude

:: mimgfx dot com

----