SGI: Video

LiVES - Video Editing System

Hi folks,

nice forum :-)

Is there a free video editor for IRIX? I was searching in the Web for a while and the only video software I can see is Piranha HD, Jaleo and so on ...

I don't know a lot about video software and I have never compiled a bit of software. I found this LiVES video editor source code, which I just can't get compiled, because I don't know enough about it. Is there even a single human on this planet who has ever compiled this editor succesfully?? I just can't find aaaaaaaaaanything about it. But the manual and the webside says that it is possible to compile it under IRIX.

http://lives.sourceforge.net/index.php?do=downloads
http://salsaman.home.xs4all.nl/lives/README-2.2.5

Requirements are : Linux 2.x or BSD or openMosix or IRIX or OSX/Darwin (other UNIX untested)

There also seems to be Piranha HD 3.4.1 on the Nekochan FTP server. Without license. Why is it even listed there, if there is no license???

Am I forever doomed to use the IRIX moviemaker with mpeg1 videocodec?

My system :
Octane R12K 400Mhz
IRIX 6.5.30
there is a lot of video software for IRIX. there are not many "free" video applications, though, on IRIX or anything else. Maybe you can look at Jahshaka.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
How many of the requirements did you have installed? According to the 2.2.5 README you need

Code: Select all

mplayer 0.90rc1+ compiled with jpeg support
ImageMagick 5
perl 5+
gtk+ 2.12+
libjpeg62
gdk-pixbuf-loaders

Most of those are in nekoware, most of the "highly recommended" libraries are not. My guess would be that no one's tried to compile this on IRIX in a long time.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Yes, I tried Jahshaka for the second time, but I still can't load any Videos into it (mpeg, mp4). There are no hints anywhere what exactly it accepts.

Sad that no one compiled LiVES, it seems to be a good editor. It also makes use of ffmpeg.

Is it maybe possible to convert videos with ffmpeg, so that I can edit them directly with moviemaker? In almost every case I have problems with playing oder editing videos in moviemaker or mediaplayer because the properties of the files are not EXACLY how the programs want it. So, how does the exact video format look like?

Sorry for my chaotic writing, but I'm a little frustrated -_-
Adobe Premiere works quite nicely on IRIX but only with non-VPro equipped systems...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: Adobe Premiere works quite nicely on IRIX but only with non-VPro equipped systems...

Does Adobe offer a free license for this software?
55cancri wrote: Sad that no one compiled LiVES,

It gets through the configure stage anyhow, which is a good sign, but ...

but I'm a little frustrated -_-

Yeah, that'll happen when you mess around with FREE ! OPEN SOURCE ! YOU HAVE TO FIX IT YOURSELF BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS BORKEN! software.

You are compiling LiVES without jack (>= 0.100.0) support.
It is recommended that you install/upgrade libjack-devel
before compiling LiVES.

For more details, see: http://jackaudio.org

Damn straight, cuz there ain't no jack on Irix, buttbreath ...

You are compiling LiVES without pulse audio (>= 0.9.14) support.
It is recommended that you install/upgrade libpulse-devel
before compiling LiVES.

For more details, see: http://www.pulseaudio.org

We don' need no steenkin polish audio, either. You nag almost as much as my girlfriend but you don't have a tits. So stfu, if you don't mind ...

LiVES is now configured and ready for building.
If you are building for MULTILIBS on a 64 bit system,
you may wish to re-run this, e.g.: ./configure --libdir=/usr/lib64
In this case you MUST first manually update the library paths in libweed/*.pc files.

And then maybe I don't want to play with your x86 toys ... less go :

urchin 21% gmake
Making all in intl

well, that joy didn't last long : the very first object file ....

ERROR parsing -fvisibility=hidden:  unknown flag

Someone with a lot more patience (and skill) than me could maybe make this work. It's not the worst I've seen ... Or put your nose to the ground, there's several professional-quality video editors out there for less than retail <cough, cough> Many of them work with uncompressed files tho, which may be a problem for you.

There's always a nice cheap x86 computer down at the Office Depot ....

edit : killed the first error, eight seconds later

ERROR parsing -Wstrict-aliasing=0:  unknown flag

Okay fine, screw it ... if you want LiVES, maybe that Office Depot box is the best answer.
"move over theah, good buddy, cuz the Snowman is comin' through ..."
Wow :-D

Someone with compiling skills at least tried it, thats all i wanted ^^

It's not like i need or want LiVES absolutely ... I JUST WANTED SOMETHING THAT IS BETTER THAN MOVIEMAKER! But that seems to be impossible ... Totally impossible ... Ok, i will "buy" a key.
hamei, you're attempting to compile that with MIPSPro? It's passing in gcc arguments. The Makefile.am's have IRIX hooks in them (which isn't to say they're hooks that still work or are maintained), the configure script must be brain dead if it can't tell the difference between MIPSPro and gcc. Maybe someone with gcc on their IRIX box would have better luck, mine doesn't have it...

55cancri, what's your SGI? As I mentioned above Adobe Premiere supposedly runs on non-VPro equipped SGIs, and surely that's a million times better than slugging it out with moviemaker...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: hamei, you're attempting to compile that with MIPSPro? It's passing in gcc arguments.

Yes, and that's exactly wrong . I'm so sick of dealing with ignorant little twats ....

55cancri, running a commpiler isn't that difficult if the software is halfway decent. Give it a try, you might like it.
I looked at the the configure script; it checks to see if the OS is IRIX and if it is it defines IS_IRIX, which is checked for in exactly one c file in the src directory, to do some IRIX specific strlen handling. Also, the only gcc-ism it adds is to pass -Wall if the compiler is gcc, so I'm not sure where those ones you pasted in above are coming from...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: I looked at the the configure script ... Also, the only gcc-ism it adds is to pass -Wall if the compiler is gcc, so I'm not sure where those ones you pasted in above are coming from ...

Are you sitting down ? they are in the Makefiles.

I ditched the entire tree so I can't check again but when I searched for those directives, they were in the Makefile.am's ....

The good part is, I'm getting used to this vertical mouse. Don't exactly like it but it may be better for the hand health and it isn't sooo bad to steer (buttons are nice, steering is a little cumbersome) ...
hamei wrote:
vishnu wrote: I looked at the the configure script ... Also, the only gcc-ism it adds is to pass -Wall if the compiler is gcc, so I'm not sure where those ones you pasted in above are coming from ...

Are you sitting down ? they are in the Makefiles.

He's got some weird stuff in those Makefile.am's, :shock:

hamei wrote: The good part is, I'm getting used to this vertical mouse. Don't exactly like it but it may be better for the hand health and it isn't sooo bad to steer (buttons are nice, steering is a little cumbersome) ...

I've got one of those but I haven't touched it in years. I mouse 50 percent left 50 percent right with a standard 3-button mouse. By dividing my mousing In an attempt to prevent injury to one hand I've only manged to hurt both hands... :oops:
Project:
Plan:

Yes, I have to get used into compiling software more often. One does not install IRIX to use it like Windows XP, I know ^^

vishnu wrote: 55cancri, what's your SGI? As I mentioned above Adobe Premiere supposedly runs on non-VPro equipped SGIs, and surely that's a million times better than slugging it out with moviemaker...

I have an MXE Impact with TRAM.
55cancri wrote:
vishnu wrote: 55cancri, what's your SGI? As I mentioned above Adobe Premiere supposedly runs on non-VPro equipped SGIs, and surely that's a million times better than slugging it out with moviemaker...

I have an MXE Impact with TRAM.

Premier is definitely an option for you then... :P
Project:
Plan:

i didnt get it to work either
############################
Re-install with OpenBSD :)
You didn't get Premier to work? Does it hang at startup and never even get to putting up the splash screen? And you have to manually kill the process? Because that's what happens on my V12 Octane2. From what others have posted I apparently mistakenly assumed that VPro was the culprit but it's obviously more complicated than that... :oops:
Project:
Plan:

no lives didnt compile. I dont have the install media for premier.
############################

Re-install with OpenBSD :)