SGI: Development

Xpad compile (success)

I have been using an SGI system as a daily driver the past month (better late than never...) and I can stand slow firefox, no youtube, etc.. but I really could not stand missing a sticky post-it note app. Having 10 or more nedit windows open didnt work well for me.

So, I set out to find any existing sticky post-it note-style app that would work on IRIX. I have all Nekoware packages as of a couple months ago.. up-to-date, etc.. I did not seem to find anything equivalent.. or existing already that still works. (I hope I didnt miss any!)

XPad ( https://launchpad.net/xpad ) fit the bill. Lightweight, cross-platform, C code.
All versions failed to pass a configure due to an older intltool on my system.
However. the older xpad version 3.0 worked fine.

Download xpad-3.0.tar.bz from https://launchpad.net/xpad

I set my PATH to have gcc4.7 first.. instead of using nekoware's gcc version 3 in /usr/nekoware/bin:
export PATH=/usr/nekoware/gcc4.7/bin:$PATH
Note I am using bash shell...

./configure

edit po/Makefile
GMSGFMT = is empty for some reason and a gmake errors out.. but the following line MSGFMT has /usr/nekoware/bin/msgfmt.
I added /usr/nekoware/bin/msgfmt as the value to GMSGFMT:
GMSGFMT = /usr/nekoware/bin/msgfmt
MSGFMT = /usr/nekoware/bin/msgfmt

Fix a bug for xpad with newer versions of glib/gdk2 that come from nekoware:
Error message: (xpad:15313): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: IA__g_object_set_valist: construct property "type" for object 'XpadPad' can't be set after construction

fix source: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65343
--- orig/xpad-4.0/src/xpad-pad.c 2009-05-11 03:44:09.000000000 +0200
+++ xpad-4.0/src/xpad-pad.c 2010-04-09 14:36:50.000000000 +0200
@@ -275,7 +275,7 @@
"gravity", GDK_GRAVITY_STATIC, /* static gravity makes saving
pad x,y work */
"skip-pager-hint", !xpad_settings_get_has_decorations
(xpad_settings ()),
"skip-taskbar-hint", !xpad_settings_get_has_decorations
(xpad_settings ()),
- "type", GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL,
+ //"type", GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL,
"type-hint", GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_NORMAL,
"window-position", GTK_WIN_POS_MOUSE,
"child", vbox,

What the above means is:
edit src/xpad.pad.c and comment out "type", GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL, line

gmake # note to use gmake not make, or else strange errors show up (bu42, etc..)

all done.. working binary in src/xpad

as root run:
gmake install
to install to /usr/local

I hope this helps someone. Sometime soon I will see about creating a nekoware tardist.
thanks for the guide. if you just wanna share it without going through creating a correct nekoware tardist you could also just attach the compressed package
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: thanks for the guide. if you just wanna share it without going through creating a correct nekoware tardist you could also just attach the compressed package

Nekochan also has a /contrib directory structure with a ton of non-nekoware stuff (as foetz well knows, he's the leader in that field :D ) Contact Mr Neko and he'll set you up.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
haha yes of course, but that only makes sense if you plan to offer a bunch of stuff
r-a-c.de
I knew I remembered something about this ...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16726484&p=7349428&hilit=stickynotes#p7349428

so I took advantage of jimmer's absence

to throw a compiler against it, came out with

for those what's adwenturous, here's the binneries and readme.1st
jimmernotes.tar.gz
(94.13 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

but one thing ... read up on the vulcan death grip first. Jimmer may not welcome this ghost-ex-closetus :shock:
In case Xpad doesn't work out for you, there's also the thing jimmer cooked up ( viewtopic.php?t=13785 ), though the link is dead (and that's an old version anyway). I have a copy here: http://duck.at.shangtai.net/files/sgi/ .

Damnit, hamei, you ninja :-P
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
duck wrote: Damnit, hamei, you ninja :-P

There's plenty of room here for a team ... maybe you can get it to not seize up the desktop ?
hamei wrote:
duck wrote: Damnit, hamei, you ninja :-P

There's plenty of room here for a team ... maybe you can get it to not seize up the desktop ?

Notes then? I have no issues running it since I first installed it...
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
duck wrote: Notes then? I have no issues running it since I first installed it...

Okay le, went back to jimmer's preferred opto of -O2 instead of -O3, it seems better.

However, it still exhibits the marks of the Dreaded SIQ if I play with the notes too much. And "hide" does not do anything. I could be misusing it, I'm not much of a postit notes guy, prefer the mmb-to-a-textfile trick.

Could still be several things - Viewkit here at 21 and so is the os. Also I have 2 p's ? One would think everything in Irix would be careful about smp but you never know.

Anyhoo, here's a better binnery. Don't use the other one, she is bad. Do you want to tar yours and stick it up for comparison, duck ?

This is just the executable, the README and chestrc are still in the earlier attachment. No point to getting carried away until we find the problem :(
notes.tar.gz
(92.13 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
hamei wrote:
duck wrote: Notes then? I have no issues running it since I first installed it...

Could still be several things - Viewkit here at 21 and so is the os. Also I have 2 p's ? One would think everything in Irix would be careful about smp but you never know.

Yup, dual R12ks here too, and ViewKit 2.1. I thought I had the 1.0 tardist installed (linked in my earlier post), but the binary is in /usr/local and I don't have a 'notes' package installed, so perhaps I'm running 0.9? I have a vague memory of one of the versions being kind of broken.

Yup, "About Notes" says 0.9.

Find my binary enclosed.

It's not something I use every day (these notes are OLD :-) , but quite handy...

Hey there Earthlings,

Thrilled to see somebody is looking into using my spit+ducttape Notes thingy. Will look into the various issues and see if/what to fix.

In the meantime here's something completely unrelated yet utterly useful, coz I always forget. Yay!

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

motif_version=`ls -l /usr/include/Xm/ | awk '{FS="/"; print $6}'`
text="Currently\ using\ $motif_version"

btn_result=`eval xconfirm -c -header "Motif" -t ${text} -B Ok -icon info`
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
jimmer wrote: Hey there Earthlings ...

came a voice from the sky on that magical night ...

Thrilled to see somebody is looking into using my spit+ducttape Notes thingy. Will look into the various issues and see if/what to fix.

Heck, if that's all it takes, keep writing software and we'll take care of the rest :D

Meanwhile, I tried duck's with the same result, all is fine until I try < notes - hide >.

Then I looked at the source ... there doesn't appear to be any code for < -hide > ?

Seems like that'd do it :D
XPad 3.0 compiled for mips4 (using gcc4.7)
Extract into /usr/local

-Kevin