SGI: Development

Current FOSS vs Olde IRIX... some uber-minimal benchmarking.

Hi All,

Here's a gcc 4.7.1 compile of GraphicsMagick 1.3.20 (August 2014 release, default compilation settings: -O2) versus stock dmconvert.

Benchmarking of any kind is notoriously unreliable and I doubt anybody cares about IRIX and speed in any real world setting anymore, but the speed difference here seems quite 'real'.

Should we be looking into systematically replacing certain IRIX libs and utilities with current FOSS versions?
just use GraphicsMagick then :P
r-a-c.de
jimmer wrote: Here's a gcc 4.7.1 compile of GraphicsMagick 1.3.20 (August 2014 release, default compilation settings: -O2) versus stock dmconvert.

Stepped in it this time, Bunky :P

The Graphics Magicke guys are shining examples for all : they go way out of their way to stamp out gcc-isms and make sure their code builds on anything. It's not a tiny little program, either ... straight through with Mipsy Pro. One pass, start to finish, woo hoo !!

Code: Select all

urchin 1% gm -version
GraphicsMagick 1.4 snapshot-20140831 Q16 http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 GraphicsMagick Group.
Additional copyrights and licenses apply to this software.
See http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/www/Copyright.html for details.

Feature Support:
Native Thread Safe       yes
Large Files (> 32 bit)   yes
Large Memory (> 32 bit)  no
BZIP                     yes
DPS                      no
FlashPix                 no
FreeType                 yes
Ghostscript (Library)    no
JBIG                     yes
JPEG-2000                yes
JPEG                     yes
Little CMS               yes
Loadable Modules         no
OpenMP                   no
PNG                      yes
TIFF                     yes
TRIO                     no
UMEM                     no
WebP                     no
WMF                      yes
X11                      yes
XML                      yes
ZLIB                     yes

Host type: mips-sgi-irix6.5

Configured using the command:
./configure  '--disable-openmp' '-without-webp' '--without-trio' '--with-quantum-depth=16' '--enable-shared'  '--prefix=/usr/nekoware'

The only thing you have to do is disable OpenMP. There is a conflict between pthreads and sproc threads. After some discussion with Mr Magicke, it appears that GM doesn't really use OpenMP for much anyhow. I've thought of enabling large memory some day to see what happens but never got a roundtoit ....

Benchmarking of any kind is notoriously unreliable and I doubt anybody cares about IRIX and speed in any real world setting anymore, but the speed difference here seems quite 'real'.

Let's find some el biggo graphics to convert and I'll run Roaring Boring Alice against your Redbum. I can put up two DAT tapes and a DVD-RAM disk ...

Oh wait ! Can throw in a mouse pad, too. Although she looks a little ... well, anyway ...

he said a girl named Patches was found ...