SGI: Development

Maxwell - Page 3

This is the linux lsm entry on Sunsite ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/wp/maxwell-0.5.3.lsm
Code:
Begin3
Title:          Maxwell WP
Version:        0.5.3
Entered-date:   06JUL98
Description:    Maxwell is a word processor application for Linux
Computers. It has all the standard features you would
expect from a word processor eg named styles, WYSIWYG
editing, tables, RTF import and export. Version 0.5.3
improves 16bpp X server handling and adds image export
to the RTF exporter.  Bug with saving under Redhat 5
is fixed.  Source code now included.  Send us a patch
if you fix a bug or write some documentation!
Keywords:       Linux X Windows Word Processor Application WP Maxwell
Author:         [email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]
Maintained-by:  [email protected]
Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/apps/wp/maxwell-0.5.3-bin.tar.gz
1.5 M maxwell-0.5.3-bin.tar.gz
0.8 M maxwell-0.5.3-src.tar.gz
1 kB maxwell-0.5.3.lsm
Alternate-site: ftp.demon.co.uk /pub/unix/linux/apps/maxwell/maxwell-0.5.3-bin.tar.gz
Original-site:
Platforms:      Linux
Copying-policy: GPL
End

Image , Fuel, VAXstation 4000/90 x2, VAXstation 4000/60, VAXstation 4000/VLC x2, AlphaServer 1000A, DEC AXP 3000/600 (desktop), DEC AXP 3000/600 x2 (rackmount), DEC AXP 3000/800 (rackmount), AlphaServer 300 4/266, DEC GIGI, Sun Ultra 5, HP ZX6000, DECstation 5000/240, VAXstation 3100s, MVII, Commodore 64 & Flyer, LA75, PP404, Juki 6100, Brother HR10
vishnu wrote:
CC -L/usr/lib32 -lXm -lXt -lX11 *.a maxwell.o -o maxwell - and that failed with this nightmare:
[... snip ...]
Why is it complaining about Xt and X function calls when I explicitly told it to link against those libraries?

You need to put maxwell.o before the list of libraries. The linker searches libraries in the order specified to see if they can be used to resolve any of the still unresolved symbols. Since you listed the libraries first, there were no unresolved symbols at the time the linker looked at them. Then it looked at maxwell.o last and complained about all the unresolved symbols in it. Try:
Code:
CC -L/usr/lib32 maxwell.o *.a -lXm -lXt -lX11 -o maxwell

Note that I'm assuming the *.a archives will be needed to resolve symbols in maxwell.o and that the standard X libraries may in turn be needed by the *.a archives.

jpstewart wrote:
You need to put maxwell.o before the list of libraries.
Really/ My bad; too used to the sloppiness that gcc let's you get away with... :|

I have been moving this along in Linux, just not as conscientiously as on IRIX, but will keep slogging ahead until some sort of resolution is achieved... 8-)

World domination! Or something...
urbancamo wrote:
... the rigour imposed by external scrutiny which brings most open source projects up to scratch.

:D That deadpan, ironic English sense of humor ... no one elsewhere can touch it :D

I dunno, sociologist who knew told me the funniest people in the world are Tibetan yak herders... :P

There are 313 c++ files in Maxwell, I just counted. :shock:

It boggles the mind that a project that was this far along when it got GPL'd was just ignored. Had to be the Motif curse. If it was GT freakin' K it'd probably be the centerpiece of Gnome by now... :lol:

Quote:
It boggles the mind that a project that was this far along when it got GPL'd was just ignored. Had to be the Motif curse. If it was GT freakin' K it'd probably be the centerpiece of Gnome by now... :lol:

This, my friend, is an extremely pertinent observation. I've done a little Motif development in my time, I wrote a blog post recently about the app I worked on a British Gas application for managing their low-pressure gas networks (GBNA and LINAS) - it may be of passing interest to folks here: http://lakesdev.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/gbna-linas-development-remembered.html

Image , Fuel, VAXstation 4000/90 x2, VAXstation 4000/60, VAXstation 4000/VLC x2, AlphaServer 1000A, DEC AXP 3000/600 (desktop), DEC AXP 3000/600 x2 (rackmount), DEC AXP 3000/800 (rackmount), AlphaServer 300 4/266, DEC GIGI, Sun Ultra 5, HP ZX6000, DECstation 5000/240, VAXstation 3100s, MVII, Commodore 64 & Flyer, LA75, PP404, Juki 6100, Brother HR10
FASH-KEE-NATING! :shock:

I've always wanted to (but never had a chance to) use X Designer. I do have a lot of experience using Rapid App and BX Pro which releive you of the responsibility for everything except the widget callbacks. Um, sort of obviously. :mrgreen:

Unspindled some of my CD-ROM/DVD backups and found the artwork I sent to the maxwell people way back in the day.

Enjoy.

Update: I'm converting the whole thing over to automake and scrapping their brain dead nonfunctional build system. Will post back when I've got it working, ah-OOG-ah ah-OOG-ah DIVE dive all dive! :lol: